Is it unusual or weird to stay in halls for third year?

Watch
fn12345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm going into my 3rd year and I still haven't sorted out my accommodation yet (I know I've left it really late but I wasn't sure if I was going to be at university next year). There's not really much available that is alright, majority of the ones left are quite old and rundown looking and I would prefer not to (lived in one of the newer halls in first year, and a modern house for 2nd year). Due to leaving it this late, and not knowing all my friends have either graduated or they've sorted housing already. I was considering going back to halls as I'd get to be in a modern accommodation with an ensuite, right next to the uni or should I keep trying to find private housing? In terms of price, I get max loan and I'll be working but I don't really wanna pay more than £105 pw, student housing is like £95-100 with what's left and halls is like £105.
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, it is not unusual. But it is not ideal, especially if it is catered, or your flat mates are noisy louts.
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know a few people who’ve ended up back in halls in 3rd/4th year, especially people who have returned from years in industry and things. You can normally request to be with other 3rd years not put back with the freshers.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by fn12345)
I'm going into my 3rd year and I still haven't sorted out my accommodation yet (I know I've left it really late but I wasn't sure if I was going to be at university next year). There's not really much available that is alright, majority of the ones left are quite old and rundown looking and I would prefer not to (lived in one of the newer halls in first year, and a modern house for 2nd year). Due to leaving it this late, and not knowing all my friends have either graduated or they've sorted housing already. I was considering going back to halls as I'd get to be in a modern accommodation with an ensuite, right next to the uni or should I keep trying to find private housing? In terms of price, I get max loan and I'll be working but I don't really wanna pay more than £105 pw, student housing is like £95-100 with what's left and halls is like £105.
Yes its fine. Depends who you live with. though.Ufv its private then it might be a lot of internationals, so maybe not the liveliest.

3rd year is 9 months so goes very fast and study should be the priority. If you have other friends then you cna always meet up outside.
fn12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyN)
I know a few people who’ve ended up back in halls in 3rd/4th year, especially people who have returned from years in industry and things. You can normally request to be with other 3rd years not put back with the freshers.
Yeah, if I was going to go back to halls they have the option to request this
fn12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes its fine. Depends who you live with. though.Ufv its private then it might be a lot of internationals, so maybe not the liveliest.

3rd year is 9 months so goes very fast and study should be the priority. If you have other friends then you cna always meet up outside.
Like you said, im not that worried about it being lively just want to focus on my study& somewhere decent to live with an ensuite
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by fn12345)
Like you said, im not that worried about it being lively just want to focus on my study& somewhere decent to live with an ensuite
Cant work out if this is private ir uni owned? You know what you cna cope with, think I might have gone for a studio.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know quite a few people who stayed in halls for their final/third year. They had gone on a year abroad and all their friends had already graduated, their friends had decided to study abroad at the last minute, they didn't have anyone close to share with, they wanted their own bathroom again etc.
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there!

I know loads of students that lived in halls throughout their third year. If I were in your situation I'd write a list of pros and cons and then weigh out the options. Good luck!
fn12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I know quite a few people who stayed in halls for their final/third year. They had gone on a year abroad and all their friends had already graduated, their friends had decided to study abroad at the last minute, they didn't have anyone close to share with, they wanted their own bathroom again etc.
(Original post by UELStudentRep)
Hi there!

I know loads of students that lived in halls throughout their third year. If I were in your situation I'd write a list of pros and cons and then weigh out the options. Good luck!
Yeah, I came to the conclusion that I'll be staying in halls again. I had a look around at a few houses but majority of the ones left just don't look that appealing live in. Most of my friends have either graduated or have already found homes for the upcoming year and I don't really like the idea of sharing bathrooms again with people I've never met before and probably won't meet till I move in. I've requested to be with 2nd/3rd years and they said they can definitely sort something out with 2nd years but will also see if they have anything available with 3rd years. Thanks!
RandomTennisfan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wouldn’t say it’s weird, with my university they placed final year students together in halls. I think as long as you’re budget can afford it, and you’re away from those troublesome freshers you’ll be fine 😉.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
14.01%
I'm not sure (29)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (196)
31.56%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.09%
I'm not a current university student (296)
47.67%

Watched Threads