Don't know if I want to do nursing anymore please help

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was rejected from nursing yesterday but have been going through clearing. But since being rejected I've seen twice now that people want to quit nursing because of how mentally draining it is. I don't know if I'm cut out for it especially since it is such an intense 3 year course and if I was to do it i would have to do it online. I don't know If I could cope with the pressure or prioritise my time well.
I want to work with children but I want job security as well, a family member who did a degree in becoming a nursery teacher is working on retail as their are no jobs.
My a level grades are BDD so I need to find a course and go through clearing this year otherwise I will have to take 2 gap years, one to find what I want to do and relax and the other changing my grades and then reapplying to ucas.
Please advise me on what I should do.
Shenotalright
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you really passionate about it or not? Honestly I don’t think you should do it coz once you start losing interest in something it’ll become even more draining then it already is. What’s the hurry tho?
Last edited by Shenotalright; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Shenotalright)
Are you really passionate about it or not? Honestly I don’t think you should do it coz once you start losing interest in something it’ll become even more draining then it already is. What’s the hurry tho?
I don't think im losing interest I'm just doubting myself because of my a level grades. I have heard its pretty intense but others have said they didn't experience that. All jobs have cons and me getting my a level grades has just made me think I'm dumb and can't handle the intensity of the course.
Manni86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should never doubt yourself, if you are determined enough you will pass through
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Manni86)
You should never doubt yourself, if you are determined enough you will pass through
Thank you I hope so.
University of Bradford
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was rejected from nursing yesterday but have been going through clearing. But since being rejected I've seen twice now that people want to quit nursing because of how mentally draining it is. I don't know if I'm cut out for it especially since it is such an intense 3 year course and if I was to do it i would have to do it online. I don't know If I could cope with the pressure or prioritise my time well.
I want to work with children but I want job security as well, a family member who did a degree in becoming a nursery teacher is working on retail as their are no jobs.
My a level grades are BDD so I need to find a course and go through clearing this year otherwise I will have to take 2 gap years, one to find what I want to do and relax and the other changing my grades and then reapplying to ucas.
Hey!

Congratulations on your A Level grades! Like the below comment says, you should never doubt yourself you're more capable than you think. It might help to chat to some current nursing students directly and ask about their experience of the course and if they have any tips and advice on managing time and how they work well under pressure. If you'd like to have a chat to any of our students about it you can do so here

I wish you the very best of luck, do believe in yourself more! You can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Becky
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Hey!

Congratulations on your A Level grades! Like the below comment says, you should never doubt yourself you're more capable than you think. It might help to chat to some current nursing students directly and ask about their experience of the course and if they have any tips and advice on managing time and how they work well under pressure. If you'd like to have a chat to any of our students about it you can do so here

I wish you the very best of luck, do believe in yourself more! You can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Becky
Finding it hard to have faith in myself at the moment but thankyou.
Manni86
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Finding it hard to have faith in myself at the moment but thankyou.
You have your health my darling, count your blessings xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Manni86)
You have your health my darling, count your blessings xx
Thank you but I probably don't have my mental health anymore.
Shenotalright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you but I probably don't have my mental health anymore.
Omg I’m like that too but you need to understand that there’s no harm in trying and failing. You can’t lower your standards just because your grades aren’t up to your standards. Most degrees and jobs are competitive anyways. The used degree just keeps you on your toes. Did you get into uni your degree btw or are you just overthinking? The future doesn’t exist yet so overthinking it is completely pointless x
Shenotalright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But not to mention you do start to become more faithful and hopeful once you acc start your course. It’s not as bad as what your thinking makes it to be x
Déessee
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I hope I can give you some advice

1. If you really want to do nursing then nothing should stop you. Grades do NOT define you. So much has gone on this year & many other students like you are feeling the same. You didn't take exams this year, so please don't feel like these grades define you.

2. There is nothing wrong with gap years. Many students take them. Some before uni & some afterwards. It's fine to take a break and sort yourself out (mentally & physically). You could get a job (something closely related to nursing that would give you some experience), you could do an online course, you could use the time to relax and prioritise your mental health (etc). Please don't feel like you're "wasting" time. Many students have deferred this year especially, so you're not alone there.

3. Nurses will always be in demand. They're key workers. Don't worry about job security with nursing, because the government is already working to increase the number of nurses since there's a shortage.
Some links you may find useful:
- Royal college of nursing
- Gov.uk

But I'm not going to sugar coat it. Nursing is not easy. As key workers nurses & doctors have had to work even longer hours and they often have to come in for last minute shifts. Ultimately, it's your choice, but don't make a haste decision.

4. If you think taking two gap years is what's best, then of course go ahead.

I'm assuming you've gone through clearing and had no luck?

What is it you'd be planning to do during the gap year? Re-take both your A levels? There is an option to do this in November no? Maybe in Nov you could retake one of the two A levels that you got a D in?

5. Have you explored other avenues? Maybe doing a foundation year and then changing course? I know someone else here on TSR was considering that. Or doing a master's in nursing instead?

6. Have you spoken to your college about a appeal? Usually they will send you a form to fill out and send back to them to get the process started.

And finally, yesterday was a hectic day. If you can, maybe contact the universities you're interested in again today instead.

Your life isn't over because your teachers didn't give you the grades you needed.
Your dream isn't over because you're encountering a temporary problem.

You've just got to have a little breather, do some research & get back into creating a plan.

Keep trying! Don't give up at the first hurdle. Success isn't linear. You can do this!

I'm here if you want to talk / need more advice

Name:  df18888182b414d8dea66009100fb051.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  17.4 KB
Last edited by Déessee; 1 month ago
Manni86
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Déessee)
Hey! I hope I can give you some advice

1. If you really want to do nursing then nothing should stop you. Grades do NOT define you. So much has gone on this year & many other students like you are feeling the same. You didn't take exams this year, so please don't feel like these grades define you.

2. There is nothing wrong with gap years. Many students take them. Some before uni & some afterwards. It's fine to take a break and sort yourself out (mentally & physically). You could get a job (something closely related to nursing that would give you some experience), you could do an online course, you could use the time to relax and prioritise your mental health (etc). Please don't feel like you're "wasting" time. Many students have deferred this year especially, so you're not alone there.

3. Nurses will always be in demand. They're key workers. Don't worry about job security with nursing, because the government is already working to increase the number of nurses since there's a shortage.
Some links you may find useful:
- Royal college of nursing
- Gov.uk

But I'm not going to sugar coat it. Nursing is not easy. As key workers nurses & doctors have had to work even longer hours and they often have to come in for last minute shifts. Ultimately, it's your choice, but don't make a haste decision.

4. If you think taking two gap years is what's best, then of course go ahead.

I'm assuming you've gone through clearing and had no luck?

What is it you'd be planning to do during the gap year? Re-take both your A levels? There is an option to do this in November no? Maybe in Nov you could retake one of the two A levels that you got a D in?

5. Have you explored other avenues? Maybe doing a foundation year and then changing course? I know someone else here on TSR was considering that. Or doing a master's in nursing instead?

6. Have you spoken to your college about a appeal? Usually they will send you a form to fill out and send back to them to get the process started.

And finally, yesterday was a hectic day. If you can, maybe contact the universities you're interested in again today instead.

Your life isn't over because your teachers didn't give you the grades you needed.
Your dream isn't over because you're encountering a temporary problem.

You've just got to have a little breather, do some research & get back into creating a plan.

Keep trying! Don't give up at the first hurdle. Success isn't linear. You can do this!

I'm here if you want to talk / need more advice
Name:  df18888182b414d8dea66009100fb051.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  17.4 KB
Amazing advice 😊😊
CeridwensCrystal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a thought but if you are considering taking some time out, how about applying for some health care jobs. That way you can see whether the career is for you. There are other routes into nursing apart from full time uni, nurse associate then top up to nurse degree, apprenticeships and full time university courses.

Nursing is a tough job and not brilliantly paid but I did it for 20 years and loved it. I only left because I wanted to get a degree and my boss wasn't very understanding. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be great but give yourself a break, nothing has to be decided immediately and you can change careers at any time.
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi @Anonymous,

I hope you are well,

Congratulations on your grades! It has been an unprecedented time for us all, and you should be proud of what you have achieved.

Unforntuanlty, at The University of Huddersfield, clearing places for Nursing (Child) BSc(Hons) is no longer available. However, Nursing (Adult) BSc(Hons) & Nursing (Learning Disabilities) BSc(Hons) & Nursing (Mental Health) BSc(Hons) still have places available in clearing.

I haven't got any personal experience on what the course is like however, you can speak to the School of Health and Social Sciences on unibuddy if you want to express any concerns you may have.

If you have any questions about clearing our friendly staff are available to chat you through it on 0330 123 2277 or you can speak on live chat here.

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield | Student Rep
Last edited by University of Huddersfield Student Rep; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.49%
Less motivated (148)
75.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed