A LEVEL RESIT- Help my school won’t let me resit

Watch
SilverLipa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was predicted A*A*A and revived Bs and As in my mocks however I was awarded a D in biology and a C in chemistry & an A* in sociology today and I am an absolutely gutted. I have appealed biology and chemistry grades as this is highly unfair how’ve ever I doubt I will attain four grades up to my predicted.My teachers who have always had a vendetta against me for no apparent reason have predicted me lower grasses then I deserved and I also go to a comprehensive school so was probably subject to further downgrading.

I have accepted that I would like to resit my exams next summer and not this autumn as I would like the maximum Time possible to revise for my exams.However my teachers are being stubborn on letting me stay back for year 13 and come to school for another year, merely due to the fact that it has never been done before.I spoke to my head teacher and he understands that this is unfair on me and said they will discuss it, however, it is looking unlikely. I come form a very poor state school that doesn’t even achieve well and surrounding selective schools in my areas allow students to resit year 13 if they have extenuating circumstances, which I also have.The decision is literally between the head of sixth form and my head teacher, which sucks. Who do I email to get my voice heard and what do you all advise?
I plan to email my local MP, school governors and more.
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe that it is compulsory for your school or college to enter you for autumn exams if you request it, but I do not believe that extends for summer exams. By all means email your MP and try and get your voice heard, you might be able to do it in summer. I understand that autumn isn’t ideal given we have only 2 months to revise, but it’s worth a shot. I understand wanting to give yourself enough time as possible but in the end, it isn’t really about getting the best you can but getting what you need. Whatever grades you need for your course that you want to do, if you can get those in autumn then do the autumn ones. Yes, it’s always good to exceed entry requirements but I think we as students this year don’t have much choice or say in things. In the end, do whatever is best for you and I hope your school allows you to resit next year, however do keep in mind that some unis are viewing autumn exams as first sittings but summer exams as resits. So, he sure that your unis and course choices accept resits and see if there is any standard you must meet (for medicine resit applicants will usually need A* in one science subject etc). Good luck x and I hope you can your exams when you want to, since it’s about your future.
Last edited by Anonymous17!; 1 month ago
karthii_.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If ur skl doesn't allow you to resit, then maybe apply for yr13 to a different better skl. That way you may get a chance to resit
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Schools don't get any funding for students resitting Year 13 and so are unlikely to allow them to do so.
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
Schools don't get any funding for students resitting Year 13 and so are unlikely to allow them to do so.
It shouldn’t be an issue if OP pays the entry and exam fees
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would take the Autumn exams and see how they go. If they don't work out get a part time job to be able to get money for the entrance fees so you can sit as an independent student at your school the Summer. Your school should be OK with that as you do not affect their stats and will not cost them anything. This way your enforced gap year is productive as you gain selfstudy skills and work experience.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
It shouldn’t be an issue if OP pays the entry and exam fees
Lessons don't come free - I accept that there is minimal marginal cost adding a single student but they may be unwilling to set the precedent as many may ask - teachers are going to be struggling enough trying to get next year's 13 up to speed through whatever happens over the next 12 months without gaining several extra students. The OP could re-sit next Summer but without retaking Y13.
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lessons don't come free - I accept that there is minimal marginal cost adding a single student but they may be unwilling to set the precedent as many may ask - teachers are going to be struggling enough trying to get next year's 13 up to speed through whatever happens over the next 12 months without gaining several extra students. The OP could re-sit next Summer but without retaking Y13.
Agreed and if the school cannot get the pupil premium for a year 14 person retaking year 13 they will not take them on hence why I suggested self study and aak them to be your exam centre as an independent candidate.
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s true, I misunderstood OP‘a post. It thought they were already talking about resitting the exams privately and their college wouldn’t accept them as a private candidate. I didn’t understand that they wanted to attend lessons
In my defence, I did read this at about 5:30 in the morning after a rough night of no sleep at all :lol:
Gutted1010
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to resit math as I got a B in my AS grades, but I feel hard done by because I really believe I could’ve gotten an A. I really want an A at minimum at the end of A2 in order to get into high end Unis. My As grades were as follows
Economics - A
Chemistry - A
Mathematics - B
Physics - B (dropping)
Do you think I should resit math, or is it still possible to get an A/A* at the end of A2. Please advise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (53)
25.6%
Less motivated (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads