Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m finishing my bachelors degree and this year, I got into a big drama. My ex boyfriend (narcissistic pervert) harassed me, my ex-bestfriends turned against me & my ex boyfriends’ friends told me to quit all the associations i was involved in at uni (for months I felt useless, I had no self worth nor respect towards myself). I applied to other universities to have more opportunities for my masters degree. I feel like there’s no point in staying around such negative people, even though there are other people in the uni i can be friends with (it’s kind of like a private uni so there’s not a lot of people and everybody’s just gossiping). Something in me says that this upcoming academic year can change & that those people will change. I do not want to sound like I’m running away from those people but I think I deserve better ; I have forgiven them but in matters of self respect, I think I should totally distance myself from these kind of people & I should just start over somewhere else. I feel like I should concentrate myself on my future & take the opportunity to go to another university where I’ll be meeting new people.

The people in my current uni did influence me in staying or leaving my uni but I think it’s for the best.

Does it make sense? What would you do?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It's so weird reading your story because it sounds similar to mine. I got involved in a drama with a girl in my year group. I was also in a small private uni with not many friends to begin with and the girl I fell out with was a BULLY. I still don't really know the reason why she turned on me... she even recruited other people to hate me with (pathetic behaviour from her side).Nevertheless I think it's fair to say I wanted to LEAVE. I was only in the second semester of second year when this happened and with a year to go it all just felt too much... but guess what? I stuck it out - I went to all of my lectures, I completed my modules and I felt better for staying because by staying I was showing her and everyone else that I can be happy and get good grades with or without her or anyone's approval. & guess what? YOU CAN TOO! I say stay at uni and keep yourself to yourself... you say you're about to finish? There's no point in giving up just before you reach the finish line! Finish the year and you'll feel so much better for it & rumour has it that most unis will be online for at least the first semester. So you won't have to see anyone you don't get along with at least until next year when the second semester begins and by the. you'll be nearly finished! Life is HARD UNIVERSITY IS HARD but I promise you you'll make it though. Stay strong 😃👍
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's so weird reading your story because it sounds similar to mine. I got involved in a drama with a girl in my year group. I was also in a small private uni with not many friends to begin with and the girl I fell out with was a BULLY. I still don't really know the reason why she turned on me... she even recruited other people to hate me with (pathetic behaviour from her side).Nevertheless I think it's fair to say I wanted to LEAVE. I was only in the second semester of second year when this happened and with a year to go it all just felt too much... but guess what? I stuck it out - I went to all of my lectures, I completed my modules and I felt better for staying because by staying I was showing her and everyone else that I can be happy and get good grades with or without her or anyone's approval. & guess what? YOU CAN TOO! I say stay at uni and keep yourself to yourself... you say you're about to finish? There's no point in giving up just before you reach the finish line! Finish the year and you'll feel so much better for it & rumour has it that most unis will be online for at least the first semester. So you won't have to see anyone you don't get along with at least until next year when the second semester begins and by the. you'll be nearly finished! Life is HARD UNIVERSITY IS HARD but I promise you you'll make it though. Stay strong 😃👍
I will definitely finish my bachelor here but I’m not obliged to stay in this uni for a masters degree. On top of that, everybody is leaving to go do their masters elsewhere bc there aren’t a lot of opportunities at my school. I don’t want to stay to show them how I’m doing...I want to do good on my own! My masters degree doesn’t depend on them, whether I choose to stay or to leave. I feel like it’s better to quit bc it truly is a big opportunity for me to study abroad (in the Netherlands)...idk what to do tbh haha

Stuck between feelings and rational thinking lol
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
t truly is a big opportunity for me to study abroad (in the Netherlands)...idk what to do tbh haha
Would it be easy to get funding for a course in the Netherlands? It might be more cost effective to go somewhere in the UK.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
Would it be easy to get funding for a course in the Netherlands? It might be more cost effective to go somewhere in the UK.
As I’m from Belgium, the tuition is the same for countries around the Netherlands
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As I’m from Belgium, the tuition is the same for countries around the Netherlands
That makes sense. Is there a University in Belgium offering the course you would like to do?

I spent a semester in Brussels and loved it there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
That makes sense. Is there a University in Belgium offering the course you would like to do?

I spent a semester in Brussels and loved it there.
That’s where I’m studying now there aren’t a lot of possibilities at my current uni but the one I applied to, yes!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Defo finish the undergraduate and once you’ve done that the choice is yours! I really hope everything works out for you! Stay strong ☺️
I will definitely finish my bachelor here but I’m not obliged to stay in this uni for a masters degree. On top of that, everybody is leaving to go do their masters elsewhere bc there aren’t a lot of opportunities at my school. I don’t want to stay to show them how I’m doing...I want to do good on my own! My masters degree doesn’t depend on them, whether I choose to stay or to leave. I feel like it’s better to quit bc it truly is a big opportunity for me to study abroad (in the Netherlands)...idk what to do tbh haha

Stuck between feelings and rational thinking lol
Shenotalright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re telling me there’s immature people at uni damnn. Once you finish of the year just go to a different uni. You don’t need anyone but yourself! Don’t rely on anyone to make you happy. You’ll be so much happier once you’re in total control of your own happiness xx (Use them as motivators)
ihsan99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some unis are crazy because of the people there. I 100% agree with you. You are not indebted to keep those people in your life and its absolutely their problem and fault for the way they are treating you. No excuses are valid. You are a self worthy person. I would agree with you in that you need to leave that uni and rhw environment. Find a nice place to study or work and i find for me there are tell tale signs of bullies (their culture oftwn has hierarchy isn't very Liberal or inclusive and as people you can tell these aren't people that look at themselves and are constantly blaming others!)... This gives me today a good compass of who I want to surround myself with taking into account the culture of the group, how people are individually (what are their characters like) and lastly do you have much in common (often the best friendships I've had is where the two factors I mentioned earlier exist but also its not forced and you see the similarities between each other and this creates compassion from my experience). Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (51)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.46%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (142)
37.47%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.54%

Watched Threads