The Student Room Group

personal statement help please

I'm applying to medicine and currently trying to write my personal statement.

I'm in year 13 and I need to resit biology and chemistry because my government grades yesterday weren't good enough.
I don't know how to address the fact I'm resitting in my personal statement. I also have my own cosmetics business that I don't know how to make seem relevant either, but I think it can show an area of my life where I've taken risk and demonstrated hard work and success.
Reply 1
Original post by dumbgirltryhard
I'm applying to medicine and currently trying to write my personal statement.

I'm in year 13 and I need to resit biology and chemistry because my government grades yesterday weren't good enough.
I don't know how to address the fact I'm resitting in my personal statement. I also have my own cosmetics business that I don't know how to make seem relevant either, but I think it can show an area of my life where I've taken risk and demonstrated hard work and success.

The cosmetic business you can definitely use in your personal statement, shows that you are organised and not scared of putting yourself out there and trying something new, maybe try to word it in a way that makes it sound like you deal with pressure and solving problems well (quite handy in medicine as it is quite challenging), dealing with it alongside your A-levels.
Reply 2
I've actually written a PS guide for medicine - I'll attach it here.

You don't really need to explain why you are sitting the Oct exams as I imagine many students will be doing the same this year - they will know automatically that it is because you weren't happy with your original grades.

The cosmetics business is good to mention for the transferrable skills you will have gained from it.
Don't mention your grades, your PS is a chance to display everything else about you.

As above, DEFINITELY mention your business. Main thing about your PS is not about mentioning just what you have done (e.g. business, volunteering, reading etc), but talking about the experiences-what you learnt, how it has helped you develop etc. How do you think things like your business have helped you as a person (other than the money)?
There's guidance on how to write a PS here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/medicine/advice-for-people-writing-their-medicine-personal. Your referee should talk about retakes.

As for your business, it depends on what you do as to how to talk about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending