The Student Room Group

Im self studying math and science, I am passionate about math and interested in physi

But im confuse https://www.theclassroom.com/prerequisites-high-school-physics-8337800.html, it says you need a background in math- chemistry, biology and maybe engineering or electronics, but I am passionate about the math and interested in physics should I do that or just math and physics?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
The link you provided is specific to the US school and college (i.e. undergraduate university) curriculum. The UK education system is very different at both the school and university levels, so the content of that article does not necessarily apply here in the UK. That said, most UK students will have some background in all the sciences due to doing combined science (double award) at GCSE even if they don't do triple sciences at GCSE, as the double award covers all three areas (physics, chemistry, and biology). This will be similar to the basic background indicated in that link for US students. I believe Scottish students study similar subjects in their Nat5.

It's also not uncommon for applicants to physics and engineering to take A-level Chemistry, although it's not generally required. There are some topics which are relevant to both courses, but not so many as in A-level Physics, Maths, or Further Maths. The normal requirements for UK universities offering degrees in physics or various engineering disciplines are A-levels or equivalent in physics and maths plus a third subject (commonly further maths or chemistry, although any will suffice for most universities). Some universities may require or prefer A-level Further Maths, or that the third subject generally be a STEM subject. Taking the A-level Maths/Physics/FM combination is a very common background preparation for those courses (again, sometimes also with chemistry taken as a fourth subject), and arguably the best preparation for it.

Some basic acquaintance with some topics normally covered in chemistry in school (typically at GCSE level in the UK) relating to atomic structure, chemical bonding, and material properties are necessary for degree level physics, but otherwise most of the prerequisite topics will probably be in resources labelled as physics (or maths). Of course, education systems vary across the world so those topics may be taught in physics classes in some countries (or some physics topics taught in other classes, etc).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest