ughexams123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know if EPQ was marked this year and graded or was it just estimated like the other qualifications? Even if it was marked, can it be affected by the downgrading?
RocsRCD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know but I was shocked to open my results and see that I got an E for the EPQ. I worked really hard for it and I chose a topic which I'm passionate about, so to receive that grade feels like I wasted so much time and effort for something I could have easily done a week before the deadline and still get the E.
ughexams123
Rep:
?
(Original post by RocsRCD)
I don't know but I was shocked to open my results and see that I got an E for the EPQ. I worked really hard for it and I chose a topic which I'm passionate about, so to receive that grade feels like I wasted so much time and effort for something I could have easily done a week before the deadline and still get the E.
Luckily I got a C so still a pass but most unis want at least a B for it to lower your offer so it’s really frustrating. If you got an E and worked hard, then they could have maybe be estimated grades. I guess corona means teachers can’t have random peoples EPQs in case it spreads the virus?
RocsRCD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ughexams123)
Luckily I got a C so still a pass but most unis want at least a B for it to lower your offer so it’s really frustrating. If you got an E and worked hard, then they could have maybe be estimated grades. I guess corona means teachers can’t have random peoples EPQs in case it spreads the virus?
Yeah, that's what I thought too, teacher's couldn't possibly tell witch EPQ was worth what grade or at least not in my school because my EPQ teacher was a PE teacher, so he probably had no clue. Either way, I'm glad my uni doesn't consider EPQs when applying.
ughexams123
Rep:
?
(Original post by RocsRCD)
Yeah, that's what I thought too, teacher's couldn't possibly tell witch EPQ was worth what grade or at least not in my school because my EPQ teacher was a PE teacher, so he probably had no clue. Either way, I'm glad my uni doesn't consider EPQs when applying.
I emailed the EPQ coordinator at my school and this is what she said:

EPQ was marked internally by your supervisor, and then the EPQ Team internally moderated the projects. We used the same robust process we usually use, with the exceptions that pupils could not be penalised for not having completed presentations. After this process, the Centre Assessed Grades and ranking were submitted to the examination board, where they underwent the same process as the AS and A Levels.

So in short your grade could have been downgraded to an E.
janelle42
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Quick tip; You can actually see the mark your school's EPQ coordinators gave you on your project Q. So check to see whether your school or the exam board is responsible for giving you a bad grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.38%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.93%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (169)
38.32%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.43%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise