Applied for Adjustment but Exeter gave me an clearing offer

Watch
Matthewwwwww
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got better results than my firm choice Lancaster which needed AAB so I applied for adjustment and contacted Exeter University where they gave me an offer and even offered global scholarship but when I asked them why the offer wasnt appearing on UCAS they said I have to refer myself to UCAS via clearing

Does this mean I could lose my Lancaster firm choice but they could also deny me through clearing leaving me with no universities to go to?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Matthewwwwww)
I got better results than my firm choice Lancaster which needed AAB so I applied for adjustment and contacted Exeter University where they gave me an offer and even offered global scholarship but when I asked them why the offer wasnt appearing on UCAS they said I have to refer myself to UCAS via clearing

Does this mean I could lose my Lancaster firm choice but they could also deny me through clearing leaving me with no universities to go to?
Call them back and remind them that in adjustment they should be changing your UCAS not you and see what they say.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi Matthewwwwww,
When you apply through adjustment, you shouldn't lose your place at Lancaster at any point. If you were going through clearing you would have to release yourself from your firm choice, but through adjustment Exeter should change your offer over from Lancaster to Exeter without you being without an offer at any point.
Does that make sense? Get in contact with them again to ensure this happens!
Let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If they have offered you a place then they need to honour it. Do you have written confirmation?

They may want you to apply through Clearing so that they just have to accept you - basically less admin for them.
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi, congratulations on your results! I have spoken to our Admissions team who have said if we have sent you an email offering a place through adjustment that is the formal offer email, and you should have received instructions about how to accept that offer on the email. We can only fully confirm the offer when you add it as a choice on UCAS and to do that you will need to decline your other offers, this is the only way you will be eligible for the offer. If you have received your offer email, the offer is made and there, you just need to add it to confirm. Please see the adjustment offer email for instructions on this, and please get in touch with us if you have any queries. You can speak to our admissions team directly by emailing [email protected] (make sure you refer to 'Adjustment offer' in the subject line).
Best wishes,
Hannah
Matthewwwwww
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
If they have offered you a place then they need to honour it. Do you have written confirmation?

They may want you to apply through Clearing so that they just have to accept you - basically less admin for them.
I have an email of them saying following your recent inquiry we are delighted to confirm that we are able to offer you a place through Adjustment for BSc Business and Management with Industrial Exp at the University of Exeter. Does that count as written confirmation? Its just weird that after they said they gave me a place they now want me to release myself through clearing which means I lose my lancaster firm choice.
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Three)
Hi, congratulations on your results! I have spoken to our Admissions team who have said if we have sent you an email offering a place through adjustment that is the formal offer email, and you should have received instructions about how to accept that offer on the email. We can only fully confirm the offer when you add it as a choice on UCAS and to do that you will need to decline your other offers, this is the only way you will be eligible for the offer. If you have received your offer email, the offer is made and there, you just need to add it to confirm. Please see the adjustment offer email for instructions on this, and please get in touch with us if you have any queries. You can speak to our admissions team directly by emailing [email protected] (make sure you refer to 'Adjustment offer' in the subject line).
Best wishes,
Hannah
This is not right. It is up to the University to update offers for Adjustment: "When you accept a verbal offer in Adjustment, the uni will update your UCAS application so the offer appears in UCAS Track.".
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have an email of them saying following your recent inquiry we are delighted to confirm that we are able to offer you a place through Adjustment for BSc Business and Management with Industrial Exp at the University of Exeter. Does that count as written confirmation? Its just weird that after they said they gave me a place they now want me to release myself through clearing which means I lose my lancaster firm choice.
Please do not put yourself into Clearing, no matter what Exeter says. That is not only not guaranteeing your place at Exeter, but also massively jeopardising your firm choice so that you could very well end up with no uni place.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A written confirmation should be enough proof to use. Adjustment should technically be done by the uni, but Clearing is down to the applicant. Call them if you are unsure
Matthewwwwww
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
Please do not put yourself into Clearing, no matter what Exeter says. That is not only not guaranteeing your place at Exeter, but also massively jeopardising your firm choice so that you could very well end up with no uni place.
Okay thank you its because this year we can't actually call the Universities so I had to fill in a adjustment form and Exeter replied with what I attached but I've emailed them to said I applied through Adjustment and asked if I put myself into clearing I'm definitely getting the place.
Attached files
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay thank you its because this year we can't actually call the Universities so I had to fill in a adjustment form and Exeter replied with what I attached but I've emailed them to said I applied through Adjustment and asked if I put myself into clearing I'm definitely getting the place.
What do you mean, can't call? I know for a fact my university's phone lines were open yesterday and today, and plenty of people on TSR were phoning their universities yesterday. It must be just Exeter (or a select few). Perhaps give their live chat a go? https://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/livechats/ (I know it says Clearing but this is under their Clearing and Adjustment tab)

Edit: make it very clear that you have received an Adjustment offer, not Clearing, and therefore it is up to them to update your Track.
Last edited by emiloujess; 1 month ago
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi @Matthewwwwww,

Sorry for any confusion I have just been looking in to all of this.

If you have emailed in confirming that you would like to accept the Adjustment offer our Admissions Team will be able to process this for you. This should have been explained in your offer email but apologies if that was not clear, and for further confusion from us in this thread. You do not need to do anything once you have emailed us accepting the place- we take it from there. So if you have not already, this is all you need to do to confirm your place.

We do have phones running but our Admissions Team are on the messaging service so that would be the best way to speak to them directly if you would still like to. The people on the phones are more aimed at answering questions about appeals. If you have emailed in you should be all good to go and they will get back to you as soon as they can.

Congratulations on your offer and grades- hopefully it won't take too long for my colleagues to sort out the admin at our end so you get the update on Track. Sorry again for any confusion- hope this reassures you it is all in hand. Do just ask if you have any further questions

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Matthewwwwww
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two)
Hi @Matthewwwwww,

Sorry for any confusion I have just been looking in to all of this.

If you have emailed in confirming that you would like to accept the Adjustment offer our Admissions Team will be able to process this for you. This should have been explained in your offer email but apologies if that was not clear, and for further confusion from us in this thread. You do not need to do anything once you have emailed us accepting the place- we take it from there. So if you have not already, this is all you need to do to confirm your place.

We do have phones running but our Admissions Team are on the messaging service so that would be the best way to speak to them directly if you would still like to. The people on the phones are more aimed at answering questions about appeals. If you have emailed in you should be all good to go and they will get back to you as soon as they can.

Congratulations on your offer and grades- hopefully it won't take too long for my colleagues to sort out the admin at our end so you get the update on Track. Sorry again for any confusion- hope this reassures you it is all in hand. Do just ask if you have any further questions

Melody
Hey Melody the main problem is I read the conditions to accept the offer which is to email [email protected] and I said I would like to accept the offer, they replied and said I need to release myself into clearing via UCAS which was not what was written in the offer email they sent me as I've attached in previous responses, the offer email also said the offer stands for about 24 hours and its about 24 hours already so I'm quite frustrated with all this confusion. can I msg you my UCAS ID and Exeter Reference Number so you can possibly help me contact an admissions support quicker?
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Melody the main problem is I read the conditions to accept the offer which is to email [email protected] and I said I would like to accept the offer, they replied and said I need to release myself into clearing via UCAS which was not what was written in the offer email they sent me as I've attached in previous responses, the offer email also said the offer stands for about 24 hours and its about 24 hours already so I'm quite frustrated with all this confusion. can I msg you my UCAS ID and Exeter Reference Number so you can possibly help me contact an admissions support quicker?
Ring them up - pester them on social media as well
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for messaging- I am looking into this urgently.

Melody
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Matthewwwwww,

Hopefully you have seen the DM- but just to make sure you see this ASAP I have spoken to Admissions and this should now be sorted. There was an error in their messaging when they got back to you the first time. Your UCAS Track should now have been updated to reflect your Adjustment offer from Exeter so it has now been rectified. If not let me know and I will continue to chase.

We are really sorry for the confusion- hopefully you can breathe a sigh of relief that this is now resolved. Do let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Melody
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads