The Student Room Group

Help me balance equation.. :)

Iron (III) oxide reacts with nitric acid to form iron (III) nitrate and water. Write the balanced equation.

For some reason I'm having problems with this. Haven't balanced an equation in ages.

Scroll to see replies

okay, can you write out the unbalanced equation?
Reply 2
Umm, how do I do subscripts on here? :s-smilie:
well you don't have to...but you write 2 (without the final space)
Fe2O3 + 6HNO3 --> 2Fe(NO3)3 + 3H20
Reply 5
EierVonSatan
well you don't have to...but you write 2 (without the final space)

Fe2O3 + HNO3 = Fe(NO3)3 + H2O
Reply 6
mrs_matt_tuck

Ah, of course. I was forgetting that the 2 in front of Fe also meant that I double (NO3)3.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 7
mrs_matt_tuck

That. Formatted Fe2O3 + 6HNO3 = 2Fe(NO3)3 + 3H2O
Reply 8
Balance the Fe's first.
Then balance the H's
Lastly the O's.
Reply 9
Got it now, thanks everybody :biggrin:
Reply 10
Draconis
Iron (III) oxide reacts with nitric acid to form iron (III) nitrate and water. Write the balanced equation.

For some reason I'm having problems with this. Haven't balanced an equation in ages.

Back to college already??
Reply 11
Write the equation:

a Fe2O3 + b HNO3 -> c H2O + d Fe(NO3)3

Then balance the elements

Fe: 2a = d
O: 3a + 3b = c + 9d
H: b = 2c
N: b = 3d

a Fe2O3 + b HNO3 -> 0.5b H2O + 0.3b Fe(NO3)3

O: 3a + 3b = 0.5b + 3b therefore b = 6a

0.17b Fe2O3 + b HNO3 -> 0.5b H2O + 0.33b Fe(NO3)3

Removing common factor b

0.17 Fe2O3 + HNO3 -> 0.5 H2O + 0.33 Fe(NO3)3

Divide by lowest number

1 Fe2O3 + 6 HNO3 -> 3 H2O + 2 Fe(NO3)3

That's the way I go about it when I'm stuck anyways, helped in the Olympiad and bmat.
Reply 12
Oh, I need to include state symbols. So, iron oxide = solid, nitric acid = aq, iron nitrate = solid, water = l, right?
seanwarby
That's the way I go about it when I'm stuck anyways, helped in the Olympiad and bmat.

lol never seen that method before :p:

Draconis
Oh, I need to include state symbols. So, iron oxide = solid, nitric acid = aq, iron nitrate = solid, water = l, right?

yup :smile:
Reply 14
EierVonSatan

yup :smile:

Reply 15
EierVonSatan

It's awesome! :P my chemistry teacher told me he was taught it at Oxford so it must be at least partially useful!
seanwarby
It's awesome! :P my chemistry teacher told me he was taught it at Oxford so it must be at least partially useful!

lol ok, it's definitely a good method to get the answer reliably, but I think its a tad over the top :p:
Reply 17
EierVonSatan
lol ok, it's definitely a good method to get the answer reliably, but I think its a tad over the top :p:

Well yeah... I mean, I don't use it for every single equation I need to balance, but the times that I've been struggling to work out the equation for 5 minutes It's great (at least you know If it doesn't balance with that method you've got the equation wrong).
Reply 18
seanwarby

Why do you reference Oxford in such a way that implies it matters he was taught that method at Oxford?

All you did was produce a method for solving two simultaneous equations. Same as it taught in every GCSE maths class.
Reply 19
One more question: I have to write the ionic formula of CaCl2, is it Ca2+Cl2+?
For some reason I have a feeling that you can't have subscripts in ionic formulae.. I don't know why I think that. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest