ninjacaty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I wanted to study English lit but my parents always told me I will have no job prospects so I didn’t have the courage to apply. Of course, all the places that are interesting are gone now. I have an offer for International Relations, which is ok but not what I wanted.
Is it better so? Will I have more job prospects?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ninjacaty)
Hi, I wanted to study English lit but my parents always told me I will have no job prospects so I didn’t have the courage to apply. Of course, all the places that are interesting are gone now. I have an offer for International Relations, which is ok but not what I wanted.
Why not consider a joint or combined degree? Pick something sensible like business studies and also study English lit - see an example from Loughborough I am not sure if you are looking to go to uni in Sept? If so, time is tight.
MissScarlet24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Job prospects come from work experience and the things you get involved in at university, not solely from your degree title. No point in doing a degree you have no interest in to do a job you don't want to do (International Relations isn't a vocational degree).
Wes - Newman Uni
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ninjacaty That is a tough position to be in. Do you mind if I ask why you wanted to study English lit? Was there a job you had in mind?

The above comment is true. After being at Newman University for 4 years in Birmingham, it is a smaller uni but taking on lots of other things that the uni opened out has expanded my experience. It has made me realise and see in other people that if you go to university you need to know if you will be happy and enjoy it for the duration. How do you feel about International Relations?

Feel free to ask anything else

Wes - Newman Uni Rep
ninjacaty
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Why not consider a joint or combined degree? Pick something sensible like business studies and also study English lit - see an example from Loughborough I am not sure if you are looking to go to uni in Sept? If so, time is tight.
Thanks, I wanted to to a joint degree English and Politics but places were already gone months ago. I don’t know what to do. I’m an Eu student so just studying English will not get me far (neither in uk not at home), but I don’t know whether I’m able to study International Relations for 3 years if my heart is set on English.
ninjacaty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wes - Newman Uni)
ninjacaty That is a tough position to be in. Do you mind if I ask why you wanted to study English lit? Was there a job you had in mind?

The above comment is true. After being at Newman University for 4 years in Birmingham, it is a smaller uni but taking on lots of other things that the uni opened out has expanded my experience. It has made me realise and see in other people that if you go to university you need to know if you will be happy and enjoy it for the duration. How do you feel about International Relations?

Feel free to ask anything else

Wes - Newman Uni Rep
Hey, thanks for your reply. I want to study English because writing is the one thing I’m passionate about (like, it is my things whereas other are good at something else like drawing). I want to go into PR later on (maybe do a Marketing Ma). However, I’m not sure whether it makes sense because English is not my native language and employers in the uk will prefer those while employers of my home country would like someone who know the native language.
I found the perfekt dual honours degree but places are gone.
I don’t know about international relations - it’s interesting but I’m not passionate about it. I would read Victorian literature and narrative theory in my free time but not the foreign policy of eu states for example..
MissScarlet24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, I wanted to to a joint degree English and Politics but places were already gone months ago. I don’t know what to do. I’m an Eu student so just studying English will not get me far (neither in uk not at home), but I don’t know whether I’m able to study International Relations for 3 years if my heart is set on English.
Don't do a degree subject that you don't like- not only will you be miserable for the whole three years, you're likely to do a lot worse. Pick a degree that you're sure you can achieve at least a 2:1 in, then after graduating apply for graduate schemes. Some schemes don't care what the subject is as long as the grade is sufficient and your application is good.
mike23mike
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, thanks for your reply. I want to study English because writing is the one thing I’m passionate about (like, it is my things whereas other are good at something else like drawing). I want to go into PR later on (maybe do a Marketing Ma). However, I’m not sure whether it makes sense because English is not my native language and employers in the uk will prefer those while employers of my home country would like someone who know the native language.
I don’t know about international relations - it’s interesting but I’m not passionate about it. I would read Victorian literature and narrative theory in my free time but not the foreign policy of eu states for example..
Clearly IR is not interesting to you so why not do something along the PR line like communication studies or journalism. These kinds of degrees will get you into PR rather than IR.
Wes - Newman Uni
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ninjacaty That is really good you have that passion good you have an idea what you want to go into. Have you maybe done a speculative job search to see what jobs in PR look for in job specifications? (It is a tip I picked up being at Newman Uni).
I can only imagine how you must feel about English not being your native language, but try not to assume employers would want something. If you have the ability to do the job you apply for then you are perfectly capable of getting something

Sorry about the course you found with on places. What combinations are you looking for?

Right okay I get you with that. I left sixth form and went to another uni to do drama but withdrew after 2 weeks. So, I worked for a year but during that year re-applied. I looked at loads of other courses e.g. history, law, anthropology, sciences, but knew I wanted to pursue drama (even though it gets a similar bad reputation about having on job prospects
But, I am glad I stuck to my aims and passions as I stayed on at Newman to do a masters and now feel in a great place to go into whatever I feel. That was because I trusted my passions

If you need to know anything else, let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (57)
26.27%
Less motivated (160)
73.73%

Watched Threads