Is it worth retaking one A-level subject even though i have a confirmed place at uni?

Watch
hannahcorb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I achieved AAD yesterday D being chemistry and it has sucked all the joy out of getting into my firm uni. I wonder if it would be useful to resit chemistry in october to hopefully get at least a C and if this is even possible when studying for a degree at the same time. I am unable to appeal because of the stupid mock decision as i only got a D then but do not think this reflects my overall effort when I had been achieving Cs or more throughout the year. Or should I just move on and forget about it now I'm at uni. I just wonder how much the D in chemistry will affect me later in life career wise or even applying for placements at uni. Thank you !
ryanalevel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahcorb)
I achieved AAD yesterday D being chemistry and it has sucked all the joy out of getting into my firm uni. I wonder if it would be useful to resit chemistry in october to hopefully get at least a C and if this is even possible when studying for a degree at the same time. I am unable to appeal because of the stupid mock decision as i only got a D then but do not think this reflects my overall effort when I had been achieving Cs or more throughout the year. Or should I just move on and forget about it now I'm at uni. I just wonder how much the D in chemistry will affect me later in life career wise or even applying for placements at uni. Thank you !
Assuming this AS, I would resit the exam(s) in October to prove capability in the subject as it seems that they may not want to give you higher due to your mock grade. Show them that you deserve higher predictions etc.

It won't affect you career-wise. People really only care about your degree. Your A-Levels really only affect you get into a chosen university, for example: a uni may want the Chemistry to be a B or above. Hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you already been accepted by your firm university?
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, sorry... it's A2. If you've been accepted for your degree and you're happy with this degree, no need to resit your A-Level in Chemistry. Not really possible when studying for your degree as your degree would obvs take overall priority.
hannahcorb
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Have you already been accepted by your firm university?
Yes i had confirmation yesterday that i had been accepted
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's all that should matter then. As long as you're happy with studying the degree you're going to do for however many years, then do it and don't look back. After you've done your degree, your A-Levels won't really matter. They only matter when getting you into uni and guess what? YOU HAVE so celebrate and don't worry!!!
hannahcorb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanalevel)
Oh, sorry... it's A2. If you've been accepted for your degree and you're happy with this degree, no need to resit your A-Level in Chemistry. Not really possible when studying for your degree as your degree would obvs take overall priority.
Yeah i did think it would be hard to juggle the two and could affect my performance in my degree! Just so worried that it will affect applications for anything when they see a D on the application
hannahcorb
Rep:
?
That's all that should matter then. As long as you're happy with studying the degree you're going to do for however many years, then do it and don't look back. After you've done your degree, your A-Levels won't really matter. They only matter when getting you into uni and guess what? YOU HAVE so celebrate and don't worry!!!
Thank you so much! I just felt all yesterday like i couldn't celebrate because of the D but I'm very grateful to have been given a place and so excited to start
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is the perfect advice. Congratulations on your uni place! :party:
hannahcorb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
This is the perfect advice. Congratulations on your uni place! :party:
Thank you so much! This is very reassuring
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats!!
I think just focus on your degree now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (85)
31.72%
Less motivated (183)
68.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed