szabr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. UCL was my firm choice and Birmingham was my insurance (for Chem Eng). Unfortunately, I narrowly missed my firm choice by 1 grade (got AAB when I needed AAA) but I recieved an offer to study at Birmingham.

They are both good universities but I really wanted to go to UCL and i’m not too keen on Birmingham. I was thinkin about declining my place at Birmingham and resitting my Physics exam, as I got a B in that, hoping to get an A so I can reapply next year.

What do you guys think? Do you think it’s too big of a risk? Should I just take up my place at Birmingham?
Advertisement
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by szabr)
Hey guys. UCL was my firm choice and Birmingham was my insurance (for Chem Eng). Unfortunately, I narrowly missed my firm choice by 1 grade (got AAB when I needed AAA) but I recieved an offer to study at Birmingham.

They are both good universities but I really wanted to go to UCL and i’m not too keen on Birmingham. I was thinkin about declining my place at Birmingham and resitting my Physics exam, as I got a B in that, hoping to get an A so I can reapply next year.

What do you guys think? Do you think it’s too big of a risk? Should I just take up my place at Birmingham?
I think you would probably enjoy Birmingham student life more than UCL, but UCL clearly has more academic prestige globally with employers. UCL is probably going to be more competitive next year, as more students decide come to university.
hannahcorb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Birmingham for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
szabr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahcorb)
Birmingham for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why would you recommend brum??
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by szabr)

Looks like you have a plan. Dont accept the place a Birmingham and retake physics to get the A UCL are seeking. Phone UCL first to find out if they will take you or if they will bump up the requirements because you are resitting. Clearly you have doubts about going to Birmingham so dont go and have 'what if' type regrets for the rest of your life.
Advertisement
hannahcorb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by szabr)
why would you recommend brum??
I'm going there and it is a good uni! But actually if you had your heart set on UCL I wouldn't settle for anything else and try again for physics but consider that it may be harder next year getting in with the deferrals from this year and then next years students. But if you contact UCL and ask them all your queries then i'm sure you will get some solid answers. Maybe if you ask them if they would reconsider your place if you got the A in the exams this october and then hold it for september 2021 start? Meanwhile search for jobs and get that dollar dollar because london will eat your money. good luck!!!!!!
STudentT1234212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Im in year 13 and am extremely confused on what to do. I cant decide between ChemENG or Dentistry.

I dont have work experience for ChemENG due to corona, and i want to do it because it seems interesting and i like chemistry and maths alot also i want to get a job after 4 years at uni. I dont know which one to choose, please give me some advice guys. My main goal is to do a career in something sciency and get paid decent before im 25
Advertisement
szabr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by STudentT1234212)
Im in year 13 and am extremely confused on what to do. I cant decide between ChemENG or Dentistry.

I dont have work experience for ChemENG due to corona, and i want to do it because it seems interesting and i like chemistry and maths alot also i want to get a job after 4 years at uni. I dont know which one to choose, please give me some advice guys. My main goal is to do a career in something sciency and get paid decent before im 25
For Dentistry you absolutely need to have some work experience (from my knowledge) but just check that online. But I can tell you you don’t need to have any work experience in chemical engineering, as it’s quite difficult to get, so universities don’t worry about that. ChemEng has it’s benefits and so does Dentistry, it really all comes down to what you want to do. If you like chemistry and maths then I advise you go down the ChemEng route. Chemical Engineering is also a very desirable degree as you can go into a lot of jobs with it, not just engineering, due to the techincal skills you learn during the course. In terms of starting salary, chemical engineering is the 2nd best payed job, just behind dentist, at around £28K - £30K.
wevegota2319
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
UCL is an amazing uni! My cousin goes there and she loves it
Advertisement
szabr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by wevegota2319)
UCL is an amazing uni! My cousin goes there and she loves it
Thank you letting me know! If you don’t mind me asking, what course is she doing?
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by szabr)
For Dentistry you absolutely need to have some work experience (from my knowledge) but just check that online. But I can tell you you don’t need to have any work experience in chemical engineering, as it’s quite difficult to get, so universities don’t worry about that. ChemEng has it’s benefits and so does Dentistry, it really all comes down to what you want to do. If you like chemistry and maths then I advise you go down the ChemEng route. Chemical Engineering is also a very desirable degree as you can go into a lot of jobs with it, not just engineering, due to the techincal skills you learn during the course. In terms of starting salary, chemical engineering is the 2nd best payed job, just behind dentist, at around £28K - £30K.
My mate got a chem eng bend and msc and he struggled to get a job. Times are tough and he graduates in 2018. He spent two years trying to get a job, and recently accepted a trainee gas engineering Job that u can do with alevels. You kids need to meter your expectations as it is a very tough job market out there at the moment. Also, i am a ucl grad from a few years back and i’ve still not got a proper grad job! I can only get temp work here and there. Very hard to get proper work these days.

So based on this i think dentistry is a better path for jobs. It sets you up pretty much with a guaranteed job like a medicine degree does.
Last edited by boulderingislife; 1 week ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.58%
Less motivated (182)
68.42%

Watched Threads