navicator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I planned on going to university this year but that's been derailed by the prospect of "virtual uni".

Is anyone else taking another gap year? or just delaying going to university this year?

Not sure how I feel about going to university at 20, slightly worried it might be a bit odd.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
MissScarlet24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We had someone who was 40 in our English class- 20 is nothing. Unless you tell them, no one will assume you're not 18 or 19.
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by navicator)
Hi,

I planned on going to university this year but that's been derailed by the prospect of "virtual uni".

Is anyone else taking another gap year? or just delaying going to university this year?

Not sure how I feel about going to university at 20, slightly worried it might be a bit odd.

Thanks in advance!
There is nothing wrong with going to uni at that age - one of my coursemates was 50, and my mum is at uni too in her 40s. I started my current course at 20 and never had any worries about fitting in
Advertisement
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by navicator)
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Hey!

I started university a week after my 20th birthday and I had the BEST first year. I found I was more motivated to work than some of my younger course mates and settled into Uni life a lot faster. But in reality you really do not notice the age difference, one of my best friends has just turned 23 and she fits in so well with us. I honestly think a gap year can be so incredible it gives you a chance to have life outside of education and gave me the motivation to work hard as well as really looking forward to essay writing and note taking! Something that would not have happened if I had gone to Uni straight away.
Do note though that there is a possibility that we may be in a similar situation come next year in terms of online courses- sadly no-one had a crystal ball to know when the world can go back!

If you do choose a gap year I really wouldn't worry about being slightly older. If anything it helped me and I know my friends would say the same

Zoe
First year Biological sciences and student ambassador
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1% of people have deferred since Covid-19, according to UCAS. Unis have invested money into the virtual stuff, so it is likely to be used in some way going forward
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
23.36%
No (82)
76.64%

Watched Threads