Can someone explain the ranking process for A level results?

Watch
Dechante
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone please explain how the A level rankings were done? My friends and I asked for our CAGs and one of my friends ranked first and got a B and it didn't change. I was ranked fourth but my grade went down from a B to C and I was ranked fourth. However, my best mate was also ranked fourth but she went from a C to a D. I'm confused but I thought it was like one person got one ranking?? So was it like a hierarchy of different kids in ones or was it one kid per rank?
e2002!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone was put in a ranking for their subjects. So there was a separate ranking for each subject. So when you say that your best friend was also ranked fourth i’m assuming you mean for a different subject to the one you were ranked fourth in??

If you and you’re other friend we’re both put down as a B but your friend was put 1st and you put 4th then the modelling/algorithm from previous years must have suggested that not as many people should have gotten a B. So you’re friend would have kept the B grade because she was ranked first and so seen as most deserving of it and then you will have been downgraded to a C because you were ranked lower and the way they moderated the grades meant that they felt that you maybe wouldn’t have actually got a B, because in previous years less people than the amount of people that they put forward this year for a B, would have got a B. Sorry idk if that makes sense aha, it’s a bit waffley i just don’t know how else to phrase it.
Dechante
Rep:
?
(Original post by e2002!)
Everyone was put in a ranking for their subjects. So there was a separate ranking for each subject. So when you say that your best friend was also ranked fourth i’m assuming you mean for a different subject to the one you were ranked fourth in??

If you and you’re other friend we’re both put down as a B but your friend was put 1st and you put 4th then the modelling/algorithm from previous years must have suggested that not as many people should have gotten a B. So you’re friend would have kept the B grade because she was ranked first and so seen as most deserving of it and then you will have been downgraded to a C because you were ranked lower and the way they moderated the grades meant that they felt that you maybe wouldn’t have actually got a B, because in previous years less people than the amount of people that they put forward this year for a B, would have got a B. Sorry idk if that makes sense aha, it’s a bit waffley i just don’t know how else to phrase it.
No, this is for chemistry and we were both ranked fourth in the same subject which is why I'm confused. Thank you so much for the help because that's how I thought it worked!!
e2002!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dechante)
No, this is for chemistry and we were both ranked fourth in the same subject which is why I'm confused. Thank you so much for the help because that's how I thought it worked!!
Hmm i’m not really sure then. Is there any possibility of your school making a mistake when they told you where you were ranked. I assumed as well that you could only rank one student in each spot so you big wouldn’t be allowed to be ranked 4th. Unless in the ranking process you were allowed to place more than one student in one place if you felt they were absolutely equal.

Yeah i’m not really sure, if you’re school has told you correctly then you must have been able to rank more than one person in the same spot which does seem unusual but i guess we never really got told exactly how it was working so it’s definitely a possibility.
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could 'being ranked 4th' possibly mean that you were ranked 4th within that particular grade? I.e. You were ranked 4th out of all the students whose CAGs were a B, and your friend was ranked 4th out of the students whose CAGs were a C.
Dechante
Rep:
?
(Original post by e2002!)
Hmm i’m not really sure then. Is there any possibility of your school making a mistake when they told you where you were ranked. I assumed as well that you could only rank one student in each spot so you big wouldn’t be allowed to be ranked 4th. Unless in the ranking process you were allowed to place more than one student in one place if you felt they were absolutely equal.

Yeah i’m not really sure, if you’re school has told you correctly then you must have been able to rank more than one person in the same spot which does seem unusual but i guess we never really got told exactly how it was working so it’s definitely a possibility.
I'm assuming now that ranking is per grade and not per person. Either way I'm appealing to get my C back to a B grade. Thank you!
Dechante
Rep:
?
(Original post by nzy)
Could 'being ranked 4th' possibly mean that you were ranked 4th within that particular grade? I.e. You were ranked 4th out of all the students whose CAGs were a B, and your friend was ranked 4th out of the students whose CAGs were a C.
That's what I was thinking! so I'm gonna email the exams officer and double check with her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads