Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I like trains, anyway method of transport that can get me to London in two hours without the hassle of flying has to be good. Oh and if you miss a train? The next one is due in an half an hour.

You also have none of the checkin hassles you have with flying. My biggest regret this year is that I went by plane to Barcelona and didn't go by train. You also get t soak up a tiny bit of culture when going through places by train too.
    I know people say railway service is bad, but the worst problems i'e had come when going by aeroplane, which are far less comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    It depends on how late they are.
    It can be up to 100% of what you paid. I think you start getting it if you are over 20 mins late.
    It also applies that if you miss a connection, and so arrive at your destination late the train that caused the delay has to pay. For example, If you were going from London to Hull via Doncaster, and the GNER out of London was late so you missed your Hull connection, GNER would have to pay you.
    Write to customer serives of the train firm involved, sending a copy of your ticket. Full details can be found on www.nationalrail.co.uk
    After using the trains frequently to see Villa over the past few months, I can catergorically state that they are sh**e.

ReputationRep:
    What's so special about compen? it doesn't change the fact that someone is 20mins late for whatever, probably more, because let's face it, they aren't that reliable when you're actually on them.

ReputationRep:
    I know people say railway service is bad, but the worst problems i'e had come when going by aeroplane, which are far less comfortable.
    Exactly, I do like trains but if my train is late tomorrow and I miss the ferry I will probably change my mind. Do you know what kind of trains they use on the Manchester to North Wales routes? I am guessing it maybe an Intericity 125, they are quite old but very large and quite fast. They are not the smaller local ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    What's so special about compen? it doesn't change the fact that someone is 20mins late for whatever, probably more, because let's face it, they aren't that reliable when you're actually on them.
    There's nothing special about it. I hate trains being late, but at least you get something back for the poor service...It doesn't change the fact you were late, but is better than nothing..

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, I do like trains but if my train is late tomorrow and I miss the ferry I will probably change my mind. Do you know what kind of trains they use on the Manchester to North Wales routes? I am guessing it maybe an Intericity 125, they are quite old but very large and quite fast. They are not the smaller local ones.
    I doubt it will be an IC125 on that one. I presume you are using Arriva Trains Wales, and they don't use the IC125 at all. Could be a 150 or 158, i think probably the latter, I'm not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    No, but it gives you something for your trouble, and means that they loose money for providing a bad service.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it will be an IC125 on that one. I presume you are using Arriva Trains Wales, and they don't use the IC125 at all. Could be a 150 or 158, i think probably the latter, I'm not too sure.
    Yep I think it Ariva Wales. Its not First as they tend to operate more on the Penine routes, Virgin or Midland to London.

It takes 2.5 hours to get to Holyhead which is about 120 miles away. Oh I wish I was going on a pendolino, it takes less than that to get to London which is 160 miles way via the west coast mainline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i have a question! how much more expensive is a first class ticket compared to a standard, and do you still get a reduction for booking in advance?

(not exactly relevant to the actual train or design, but never mind!)
    I got 8 first class tickets from nottingham to london for £140 last June, booked it 6 weeks in advance. It was actually cheaper than standard fare tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I think it Ariva Wales. Its not First as they tend to operate more on the Penine routes, Virgin or Midland to London.

It takes 2.5 hours to get to Holyhead which is about 120 miles away. Oh I wish I was going on a pendolino, it takes less than that to get to London which is 160 miles way via the west coast mainline.
    Although the 158s are quite nice, as DMUs go, 2.5hrs is a long time to spend on one.
    Do you like the pendos then, I haven't been on one myself but those who have say that:
    They are cramped
    The seats are bad
    You can't use your phone
    The audio system often fails
    The crew call system is annoying

However, at least they don;t have that smell that the voyagers do.

ReputationRep:
    Although the 158s are quite nice, as DMUs go, 2.5hrs is a long time to spend on one.
    Do you like the pendos then, I haven't been on one myself but those who have say that:
    They are cramped
    The seats are bad
    You can't use your phone
    The audio system often fails
    The crew call system is annoying

However, at least they don;t have that smell that the voyagers do.
    I went on from from Manchester to Edinburgh via which is the westcoast mainline. I didn't try out the audio system, but the train arived 5 minutes early. It was comfertable and wasn't too noisy, the toilets were nice and spacious. I don't think it was cramped compared to other high speed trains.

My overal impression was good, they are much faster than the 125's even when they don't tilt. The engines seemed smooth.

The 125 has been used as a stop gap for 30 years now so it really needs replacing no matter how good it is, they are not going to last for ever. They simply cannot compete with the high speed european trains.

One thing I have heared about the Pendilino's is that their breaking system can some times not work correctly, cuasing trains to stop a few metres further ahead. This caused one trainto crash into the stoppers at the end of the line. No real damage was cuased but passangers were a bit shaken.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how late they are.
    It can be up to 100% of what you paid. I think you start getting it if you are over 20 mins late.
    It also applies that if you miss a connection, and so arrive at your destination late the train that caused the delay has to pay. For example, If you were going from London to Hull via Doncaster, and the GNER out of London was late so you missed your Hull connection, GNER would have to pay you.
    Write to customer serives of the train firm involved, sending a copy of your ticket. Full details can be found on www.nationalrail.co.uk
    Hull trains with young persons railcard and advanced booking £25 return and direct (no changing).

£35 with young persons railcard if you miss the offer. They obly have something like 50 seats on this really cheap offer.

ReputationRep:
    Who thinks trains are the best?
    Tell me your views on trains!
    Do you have a train question? - ask it here!
    aeroplanes are the best. Or airplanes. Whatever people no them by!

ReputationRep:
    I went on from from Manchester to Edinburgh via which is the westcoast mainline. I didn't try out the audio system, but the train arived 5 minutes early. It was comfertable and wasn't too noisy, the toilets were nice and spacious. I don't think it was cramped compared to other high speed trains.

My overal impression was good, they are much faster than the 125's even when they don't tilt. The engines seemed smooth.

The 125 has been used as a stop gap for 30 years now so it really needs replacing no matter how good it is, they are not going to last for ever. They simply cannot compete with the high speed european trains.

One thing I have heared about the Pendilino's is that their breaking system can some times not work correctly, cuasing trains to stop a few metres further ahead. This caused one trainto crash into the stoppers at the end of the line. No real damage was cuased but passangers were a bit shaken.
    That is an contender for "geekiest post".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    That is an contender for "geekiest post".
    I know nothing really about trains, but for buses, I could tell you where it was built just by looking at it. These are perhaps amongst the most interesting buses

http://www.showbus.co.uk/p2001/smdragon142.JPG

Originaly they operated in Kenya before being imported back into UK to transport the dirty students of Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Hate the new timetable, it now takes 10 minutes longer to get to London from where I live.

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing really about trains, but for buses, I could tell you where it was built just by looking at it. These are perhaps amongst the most interesting buses

http://www.showbus.co.uk/p2001/smdragon142.JPG

Originaly they operated in Kenya before being imported back into UK to transport the dirty students of Manchester.
    Update: This is the geekiest post ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Update: This is the geekiest post ever.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I like travelling by train; I get fair usage out of my YP Railcard that cost me nowt (HSBC 5 yr).

Longest journey so far was to Cardiff last May.

Sheffield - Birmingham New Street (Virgin)
    Birm. NS - Bristol Parkway (Virgin)
    Bristol Parkway - Cardiff Central (First Great Western).

Everything ran smoothly, all on time.

Though the furthest outpost I've reached so far is Leuchers for St Andrews a Virgin service from Edinburgh Waverley. (got the plane from Notts EMA to Edinburgh).

I actually like the Voyagers, and the Midland Mainline Meridian's (Very Similar) - the new GNERs are probably ultra similar too - these modern high speed trains make travelling so much more comfortable.

There are certain services which I can often guarentee will leave Sheffield late - and thats the hourly service from Liverpool LS to Norwich via Alfreton (Central Trains Citylink) - which is well annoying as Alfreton is the station I need when getting back to visit home.

I always feel confident travelling to certain places though - namely the stations ran by Network Rail - so Leeds, Manchester Picc, Birm. NS etc, as the information boards are always so consise, and the facilities make things comfortable if you need to hang around.

ReputationRep:
    I resent the very existance of trains after a bad experience a few weeks ago. Instead of the usual simple Cambridge <> Peterborough <> Manchester Picadilly route that it's meant to be, I had to keep changing and it ended up utterly ridiculous.

Cambridge <> Peterborough <> Nottingham <> Derby <> Sheffield <> Manchester Airport <> Manchester Picadilly.

This caused me no end of stress, as I had three large suitcases I was trying to drag home by myself. The fact that I had three meant I always had to leave one on the train whilst I took the other two off. But ing moronic passengers trying to get on would politely wait until I'd gotten off, then flood on and I had to wrestle to get my third bag, I very often found myself seconds away from being carried off to anther destination with two bags on some other station.

So many of the trains were late too. I was extremely pissed off by the end of it, and it was by far the most stressful experience I've ever had travelling, even being stuck alone in Paris having missed my flight with no money and no phone was less stressful than that!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.