stirredJam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I've done a few years of brick uni, but have decided my current career path was wrong for me, and pretty unsalvageable, and OU looks like a great way out of my current situation (Student loans all exhausted, but have enough savings for OU + living at home with parents). I want to do Engineering, but I'd also like to try and make up for the lost time over the past few years and get it done asap. The course page says full time is 4.5 years, and I have found comments across different forums saying that this is because of how the level 1 is structured, but I am struggling to find more information on this matter. On the other hand, there are other sources which seem to indicate three years is somewhat possible, such as Uni Course finding sites, although I recognise these are not authorities and could be inaccurate. I have contacted OU, but I was wondering if anyone could shed any more light on this for me?

I have a strong maths/computer background, and have experience with self learning. I have a part time job, but would be prioritising course and would like to be as full time as possible. I understand that if the course is structured in a way that makes 120 credits/year impossible, that is that, but it seems a shame to take an additional year, but not be working as hard as I could be during that longer period, if that makes sense?

Anyway thanks for your time - I am really getting quite excited about the prospect of finally studying things I love again, and OU really seems like its too good to be true! Its an amazing second chance when there aren't too many of those going about
Last edited by stirredJam; 1 month ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stirredJam)
Hi everyone,

I've done a few years of brick uni, but have decided my current career path was wrong for me, and pretty unsalvageable, and OU looks like a great way out of my current situation (Student loans all exhausted, but have enough savings for OU + living at home with parents). I want to do Engineering, but I'd also like to try and make up for the lost time over the past few years and get it done asap. The course page says full time is 4.5 years, and I have found comments across different forums saying that this is because of how the level 1 is structured, but I am struggling to find more information on this matter. I have contacted OU, but I was wondering if anyone could shed any more light on this for me?

I have a strong maths/computer background, and have experience with self learning. I have a part time job, but would be prioritising course and would like to be as full time as possible. I understand that if the course is structured in a way that makes 120 credits/year impossible, that is that, but it seems a shame to take an additional year, but not be working as hard as I could be during that longer period, if that makes sense?

Anyway thanks for your time - I am really getting quite excited about the prospect of finally studying things I love again, and OU really seems like its too good to be true! Its an amazing second chance when there aren't too many of those going about
email the student support team they should be able to explain it to you, have you double-checked you aren't eligible for a part time loan (you can still do 120 credits a year with this) as engineering is an exception subject.
stirredJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
email the student support team they should be able to explain it to you, have you double-checked you aren't eligible for a part time loan (you can still do 120 credits a year with this) as engineering is an exception subject.
thanks for your reply. I have sent them an email, but they say it takes up to 5 working days for a reply. I'm in Wales, so I believe the fees are cheaper (Only £6k), which I could cover myself over three years, but I think I'd aim for a masters at a brick uni afterwards, and so I'd need to look into how loans work in those circumstances, and whether it would work out better to pay now or save and use loans now. The entire degree almost costs less than a single years accommodation in the city I spent the last few years!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks for your reply. I have sent them an email, but they say it takes up to 5 working days for a reply. I'm in Wales, so I believe the fees are cheaper (Only £6k), which I could cover myself over three years, but I think I'd aim for a masters at a brick uni afterwards, and so I'd need to look into how loans work in those circumstances, and whether it would work out better to pay now or save and use loans now. The entire degree almost costs less than a single years accommodation in the city I spent the last few years!
Ah my apologises the welsh rules are different. What were your previous degrees in? just wondering if there's any possibility you can transfer credits at all to get through the degree more quickly.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The engineering degree is set differently to most other OU degrees in that each of the level one modules builds on the one before so, in most subjects you could be studying all 120 credits of first year within one academic year, for the engineering you have to have finished the first modules before you can move onto the second-that’s why it takes 4.5 years.
SFW says that you can get funding for a second degree in certain subjects including engineering (though it says engineering and technology so I would check whether it means the degree has to be both)
It also will be different since I think you didn’t gain a first degree so you may find that they will only give you part funding (or none at all) but definitely worth asking!
stirredJam
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
The engineering degree is set differently to most other OU degrees in that each of the level one modules builds on the one before so, in most subjects you could be studying all 120 credits of first year within one academic year, for the engineering you have to have finished the first modules before you can move onto the second-that’s why it takes 4.5 years.
SFW says that you can get funding for a second degree in certain subjects including engineering (though it says engineering and technology so I would check whether it means the degree has to be both)
It also will be different since I think you didn’t gain a first degree so you may find that they will only give you part funding (or none at all) but definitely worth asking!
Thanks Gabi, that makes sense about the level ones. I wonder if it is possible to work through the content quickly, in order to finish all four in a year. Alternatively, if I started the two modules as per normal, do you know if I would be able to join other modules if I could demonstrate progress? I suppose exams/assessment dates would not line up correctly then. - I hope I don't come across as arrogant or ignorant, talking about trying to do more work than recommended, just want to understand my options as much as possible! My biggest concern is finding myself handling the content with time to spare, and not being able to make more progress. May I ask if you study/studied engi at OU?

I'll have to talk to sfw directly to figure out where I stand with them. I was previously studying in healthcare, and don't know what qualification they would offer me for the work done, so it would probably depend on that too. No chance of any useful credit transfers though. Fortunately I have enough savings for the OU course as is, so worst case scenario I should be able to manage in that regard.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks Gabi, that makes sense about the level ones. I wonder if it is possible to work through the content quickly, in order to finish all four in a year. Alternatively, if I started the two modules as per normal, do you know if I would be able to join other modules if I could demonstrate progress? I suppose exams/assessment dates would not line up correctly then. - I hope I don't come across as arrogant or ignorant, talking about trying to do more work than recommended, just want to understand my options as much as possible! My biggest concern is finding myself handling the content with time to spare, and not being able to make more progress. May I ask if you study/studied engi at OU?

I'll have to talk to sfw directly to figure out where I stand with them. I was previously studying in healthcare, and don't know what qualification they would offer me for the work done, so it would probably depend on that too. No chance of any useful credit transfers though. Fortunately I have enough savings for the OU course as is, so worst case scenario I should be able to manage in that regard.
You can only work through the content on the deadlines set-and follow their timetable. So you literally cannot do them any faster than the 4.5years as minimum. It isn’t about recommended workload, it is the way they are set up.
If you aren’t set on engineering most of all the other degrees are able to be done in 3 years minimum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise