I'm about to start year 12, is there anything I should know?

Watch
ttennitt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am anxiously awaiting my GCSE results while doing A-level prep work. I am moving from a comp to a grammar school to do politics, history, spanish and psychology.
There hasn't been much information about the jump to A-levels, so I was wondering if there is any advice you can give me (revision tips, organisation, time management, clubs, exams, general sixth form stuff, relaxation help etc.) as I have no clue what to expect! Any advice is welcome
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should know:

- how to breathe
- how to blink
- how to walk
- how to sleep

and quite a few other things.
buoynancy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by talynbaker)
I am anxiously awaiting my GCSE results while doing A-level prep work. I am moving from a comp to a grammar school to do politics, history, spanish and psychology.
There hasn't been much information about the jump to A-levels, so I was wondering if there is any advice you can give me (revision tips, organisation, time management, clubs, exams, general sixth form stuff, relaxation help etc.) as I have no clue what to expect! Any advice is welcome
i'm going grammar to private so just advice as you'll be new to grammar - please please please be confident and speak up and don't be intimidated by the other smart people. being average in your class is okay because average of the best is still the best. Call your teachers by their actual name eg Mrs Smith not Miss because they don't like it. Work hard but also play hard, don't lay all your cards on the table because at grammar people don't show how much work they do. I hope you love it though the environment is so much more stimulating and i wish you all the best and with results xx
ttennitt
Rep:
?
(Original post by buoynancy)
i'm going grammar to private so just advice as you'll be new to grammar - please please please be confident and speak up and don't be intimidated by the other smart people. being average in your class is okay because average of the best is still the best. Call your teachers by their actual name eg Mrs Smith not Miss because they don't like it. Work hard but also play hard, don't lay all your cards on the table because at grammar people don't show how much work they do. I hope you love it though the environment is so much more stimulating and i wish you all the best and with results xx
I was concerned about being intimidated, especially because it's quite competitive and comparing myself to others really isn't healthy so I think overcoming that will be the hardest part! I am very excited so hopefully, I will love it! Thank you just begging they don't lower my grades after seeing what they did with A-level results
Blue_skies124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went from a state school to a grammar school. It is a jump up that I didn’t expect. The three a levels that you do have the quantity of about 9/10 gcses. There’s so much you need to know so the best thing is to gain good habits right from the beginning. After every lesson, learn the content and make some sort of resource and then pre-read the content for the next lesson. It is a bit more independent, some teachers think that because everyone’s smart, they don’t have to teach which is something I found difficult to get used to. Some people are quite competitive at times, people don’t share their grades or they talk in lesson but somehowcget the highest grades.
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola,

I can help with the transition from GCSE to A level Spanish This is what I suggest to my studnets (can be used cross other subjects though tbh):

1. Download the A-level specification so you can familiarise yourself with the themes that you're going to be studying on your exam board. It's a good idea to think about these issues because you need to be able to develop your own ideas and justify opinions on current affairs such as culture, tourism, social issues, equality, education, employment etc. I’d pre-prep vocab so that you know what's coming ahead.

2. Also have a look at the sample exam paper so that you know the types questions that you’ll be examined on. This gives you an idea of a benchmark, what you need to be aiming for. You can also do the same for past papers, it's a good idea to listen to the listening questions because you'll find there is a jump between GCSE and A level.

3. Ask your teacher for the reading list, ie, the film and text that you'll be studying. Order the book or watch the film. Google or buy study guides and critiques and take a look at some of the past essay writing exam questions see you know what's coming up ahead.

4. Start getting into a routine of reading, listening and watching the news. I suggest my students scanned the headlines of newspapers such as BBC El Mundo and El País so that they are comfortable with not only the grammar and vocab but also current affairs. You can subscribe to newsletters or download the app and get notifications. BBC El Mundo is the standard of Spanish you're aiming for with A level. check out http://www.spanishlistening.org/ as they have free audio files with speakers from all Hispanic countries. You need to get used to different accents!

Also, I recently created a video on transitioning from GCSE to A level Spanish (it can also be applied to other languages tbh) - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_847f3x5csQ

Good luck with your GCSE results!!

Drew
ttennitt
Rep:
?
(Original post by MyLanguageLab)
Hola,

I can help with the transition from GCSE to A level Spanish This is what I suggest to my studnets (can be used cross other subjects though tbh):

1. Download the A-level specification so you can familiarise yourself with the themes that you're going to be studying on your exam board. It's a good idea to think about these issues because you need to be able to develop your own ideas and justify opinions on current affairs such as culture, tourism, social issues, equality, education, employment etc. I’d pre-prep vocab so that you know what's coming ahead.

2. Also have a look at the sample exam paper so that you know the types questions that you’ll be examined on. This gives you an idea of a benchmark, what you need to be aiming for. You can also do the same for past papers, it's a good idea to listen to the listening questions because you'll find there is a jump between GCSE and A level.

3. Ask your teacher for the reading list, ie, the film and text that you'll be studying. Order the book or watch the film. Google or buy study guides and critiques and take a look at some of the past essay writing exam questions see you know what's coming up ahead.

4. Start getting into a routine of reading, listening and watching the news. I suggest my students scanned the headlines of newspapers such as BBC El Mundo and El País so that they are comfortable with not only the grammar and vocab but also current affairs. You can subscribe to newsletters or download the app and get notifications. BBC El Mundo is the standard of Spanish you're aiming for with A level. check out http://www.spanishlistening.org/ as they have free audio files with speakers from all Hispanic countries. You need to get used to different accents!

Also, I recently created a video on transitioning from GCSE to A level Spanish (it can also be applied to other languages tbh) - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_847f3x5csQ

Good luck with your GCSE results!!

Drew
Wow! Thank you so much for your help, I will definitely be doing these in the next two weeks as I won't have much time to adjust once school starts again
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know it will be stressful...

but please dont forget to enjoy the free nandos!
ttennitt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
I know it will be stressful...

but please dont forget to enjoy the free nandos!
i don't think they're doing that this year but i'm vegetarian anyway so i'd probably only be able to have chips!
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i don't think they're doing that this year but i'm vegetarian anyway so i'd probably only be able to have chips!
Ahh too bad mate!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed