Dream uni wont let me in- but I have the grades (kind of)

Watch
hannahd02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m absolutely distraught as I’ve had my heart set on studying quantity surveying at Loughborough. After going through interviews, workshops etc they offered me a conditional offer in which I needed a Distinction,B, B. (I did Eng lit & history A levels with an IT btec lv3). With the coronavirus situation I was given predicted downgraded exam results: D* in IT (equal to an A* A Level), a B in History and a C in English. Despite countless phone calls and emails with Loughborough, they have refused to accept me on my current C grade as they reject the point system and only recognise a BB. My UCAS points equate to 148 and a BBB would only make 120 points. They make offers to CLEARANCE people who didn’t even get offered a place through interviews for ABC or BBB, yet I got A*,B,C and they said I have until 07/09 to appeal a B in English or I can’t enrol. I have no clue if I can appeal a B because the government won’t even let my sixth form release my teachers predicted grades to me. And in the meantime- I can’t enrol at my insurance university and book my accommodation UNTIL Loughborough reject or accept me, leaving me with no time and no accommodation variety to choose from. I am utterly beside myself with how this situation has played out and I just don’t even know what to do next.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahd02)
I’m absolutely distraught as I’ve had my heart set on studying quantity surveying at Loughborough. After going through interviews, workshops etc they offered me a conditional offer in which I needed a Distinction,B, B. (I did Eng lit & history A levels with an IT btec lv3). With the coronavirus situation I was given predicted downgraded exam results: D* in IT (equal to an A* A Level), a B in History and a C in English. Despite countless phone calls and emails with Loughborough, they have refused to accept me on my current C grade as they reject the point system and only recognise a BB. My UCAS points equate to 148 and a BBB would only make 120 points. They make offers to CLEARANCE people who didn’t even get offered a place through interviews for ABC or BBB, yet I got A*,B,C and they said I have until 07/09 to appeal a B in English or I can’t enrol. I have no clue if I can appeal a B because the government won’t even let my sixth form release my teachers predicted grades to me. And in the meantime- I can’t enrol at my insurance university and book my accommodation UNTIL Loughborough reject or accept me, leaving me with no time and no accommodation variety to choose from. I am utterly beside myself with how this situation has played out and I just don’t even know what to do next.
I think you have two options really, consider that you may have to take a gap year if you want to go to Loughborough as if you did appeal it's very possible it might not come back in time or you tell them to reject you and go to your insurance choice.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This sounds like a tough situation to be in. I’m not completely up to date on B-Tecs and the ins and outs of them, but if you say you’ve got the equivalent, it’s annoying that they won’t budge their stance.

Would you be happy to take a year out and perhaps resit the exams? That would give you more time to reapply for Loughborough and give you the accommodation etc as well you’re after.
hannahd02
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I think you have two options really, consider that you may have to take a gap year if you want to go to Loughborough as if you did appeal it's very possible it might not come back in time or you tell them to reject you and go to your insurance choice.
A gap year really wouldn’t suit me as I know id get too comfy with earning a full salary and wouldn’t want to go back to uni. And in terms of going to my insurance or another university- I just can’t see myself anywhere other than LB. I guess this is a problem that can’t be solved in my favour, but thank you for taking the time to reply and clearing my options for me from here: much appreciated
hannahd02
Rep:
?
Y TY kiki

(Original post by Arisapo)
This sounds like a tough situation to be in. I’m not completely up to date on B-Tecs and the ins and outs of them, but if you say you’ve got the equivalent, it’s annoying that they won’t budge their stance.

Would you be happy to take a year out and perhaps resit the exams? That would give you more time to reapply for Loughborough and give you the accommodation etc as well you’re after.
To be honest I don’t think anyone would do too well if they were to resist exams. As we’ve not been taught since early March and the resits would be in about a months time. I havnt even finished all of my course content yet, let alone had the time to revise everything I have learnt for 2 years. And we wouldn’t be permitted a classroom or a teacher before resits so I would stand no chance of getting good grades. Still don’t know where to go from here- just hoping that Loughborough decide to use discretion and accept me . Thank you for your response though, it is reassuring to know that I’m not the only one who finds their stance on my grades annoying
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahd02)
Hi hannahd02

I am so sorry to hear that you have had a difficult few days since receiving your results. You did extremely well and you should feel very proud of those grades. I have alerted the Undergraduate Admissions Manager to your situation and he has advised that you should contact Admissions directly to discuss your case: [email protected].

I hope this helps and you manage to get something sorted soon.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer

Best wishes

Lauren
Loughborough University
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed