iang1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am starting my level for math physics and dt in September . Can anyone give me an insight into how year 12 is for maths (edexcel) and physics (aqa) and how hard it is and the work load too. I am a keen student however I have been stressing, worrying about them before I have even started.
Thanks
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iang1)
I am starting my level for math physics and dt in September . Can anyone give me an insight into how year 12 is for maths (edexcel) and physics (aqa) and how hard it is and the work load too. I am a keen student however I have been stressing, worrying about them before I have even started.
Thanks
I took Maths on EdExcel (starting uni in September). First year maths, I personally found quite easy, especially the pure aspect. I don't know exactly how much you know with regards to content and course structure so I'll do a quick overview. At the end of your course you'll do 3 exams - 2 for pure maths. and one for applied, which all have equal weighting. Pure maths is how you could describe the majority of GCSE content - covering algebra, trigonometry and calculus as the main areas. Applied maths is split into two modules - Statistics & Mechanics. Statistics is what it sounds like - covering topics of probability and stats. Mechanics is very similar to the maths done in Physics - covering areas such as motion and force.

As you're taking Physics, you should find the Mechanics aspect of Maths quite easy - as you'll be covering similar content in both. I didn't find Pure maths hard, as the key to it is really just doing lots of practice - and your textbooks will have plenty of exercises with a variety of questions to help consolidate your learning. Statistics is dull, but not particularly hard as the questions do tend to be very similar, just with different numbers, after you do enough practice questions. The most important thing you can do is to put all your effort in when in class, and keep very focused. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions, when you don't understand, or if you want to know a little more about a topic that's being covered - they want you to do well and understand the content! I wish you all the best with your A-Levels - they're a complete change of pace from GCSEs and you will enjoy your time studying them a lot if you take subjects that you're passionate about.
username5360040
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DoNotMove)
I took Maths on EdExcel (starting uni in September). First year maths, I personally found quite easy, especially the pure aspect. I don't know exactly how much you know with regards to content and course structure so I'll do a quick overview. At the end of your course you'll do 3 exams - 2 for pure maths. and one for applied, which all have equal weighting. Pure maths is how you could describe the majority of GCSE content - covering algebra, trigonometry and calculus as the main areas. Applied maths is split into two modules - Statistics & Mechanics. Statistics is what it sounds like - covering topics of probability and stats. Mechanics is very similar to the maths done in Physics - covering areas such as motion and force.

As you're taking Physics, you should find the Mechanics aspect of Maths quite easy - as you'll be covering similar content in both. I didn't find Pure maths hard, as the key to it is really just doing lots of practice - and your textbooks will have plenty of exercises with a variety of questions to help consolidate your learning. Statistics is dull, but not particularly hard as the questions do tend to be very similar, just with different numbers, after you do enough practice questions. The most important thing you can do is to put all your effort in when in class, and keep very focused. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher questions, when you don't understand, or if you want to know a little more about a topic that's being covered - they want you to do well and understand the content! I wish you all the best with your A-Levels - they're a complete change of pace from GCSEs and you will enjoy your time studying them a lot if you take subjects that you're passionate about.
Hi! If you don't mind me asking, would you say physics is hard? I am going to start y12 in Sept as well doing bio, chemistry, physics and maths, many have told me physics is super hard!:K:
iang1
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)

Thank you very much I am starting algebra and function 1 and circles so when I join I will be in a comfortable position. Also I am doing mechanics in physics too in the final 3 weeks. im passionate about physics and hope I can find an interest in a level math...
thanks
Sohaanic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did AQA physics and recieved an A at AS and A at A-level (even though I wanted an A* but oh well) and personally i found the transition kinda hard but not impossibly hard. I found maths much harder than physics (i did edexcel maths and was downgraded from an A to a B) but doing maths will make some aspects of the physics course much easier or vice versa if u study the mechanics part of maths before u do mechanics in physics. The only problem was my physics teacher and maths teacher had different methods but either method will get you marks so in the end it didnt matter. The hardest part of a level maths imo was the exam questions rather than the content itself. You will be fine as long as you dont fall behind too much, and it helps to have a good teacher like I did!
iang1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sohaanic)
I did AQA physics and recieved an A at AS and A at A-level (even though I wanted an A* but oh well) and personally i found the transition kinda hard but not impossibly hard. I found maths much harder than physics (i did edexcel maths and was downgraded from an A to a B) but doing maths will make some aspects of the physics course much easier or vice versa if u study the mechanics part of maths before u do mechanics in physics. The only problem was my physics teacher and maths teacher had different methods but either method will get you marks so in the end it didnt matter. The hardest part of a level maths imo was the exam questions rather than the content itself. You will be fine as long as you dont fall behind too much, and it helps to have a good teacher like I did!
so far im finding algebra and functions 1 not to hard the exam questions are hard but they are do-able. circles are quite simple too. I am willing to put in hard work from the start and want to be well prepared for my year 12 exams. what websites would you recommend?
thanks
Sohaanic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iang1)
so far im finding algebra and functions 1 not to hard the exam questions are hard but they are do-able. circles are quite simple too. I am willing to put in hard work from the start and want to be well prepared for my year 12 exams. what websites would you recommend?
thanks
I used Physics and Maths tutor, which allows u to choose ur exam board and they will provide sets of exam Qs from previous exams (I used this mainly for physics and chemistry rather than maths but I 100% recommend for AQA physics). For maths I used a website called Save My Exams. I think the exam Qs are free (well mostly) but you do require a subscription to access the solutions. If you are not in the position to pay for the subscription, you can always ask your teacher to go through ur answer and point out where you went wrong. You can also use Save My Exams for other subjects like chem and physics, but before you purchase a subscription, if u are able to, make sure to check if they do Qs for ur exam board. The most helpful thing about Save My Exams is that they separate Qs into easy, medium and hard and it also has printable checklists for when you are revising
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Morgania)
Hi! If you don't mind me asking, would you say physics is hard? I am going to start y12 in Sept as well doing bio, chemistry, physics and maths, many have told me physics is super hard!:K:
I didn't take Physics - however, from what I heard from others, they've said it's difficult but worthwhile if you do plenty of practice questions.
iang1
Rep:
?
I am going to work hard from the start and keep on going. I am nervous about the challenge making me worry for no reason. my work ethic is not a problem is it me being afraid of the challenge.
Agent786OO
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol i did go for a review session. IT LOOKS REALLy hard. i am just warning you now. even people who get 9s struggle with A level maths. I think you would need to out loads of effort in order ti gain a higher grade. Also the new big calculator with graphs scared me
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alevel maths is a divisive one. Some people who are very mathematically orientated find it quite straightforward and get comfortable As/A*s, other people struggle despite a good grade at GCSE. As long as you are confident with higher grade topics at GCSE, you'll be ok for now.

I found the transition for physics a bit difficult because I had a rocky GCSE foundation and didn't really like many of the topics in year 12. Year 13 went much better though, had got used to everything and enjoyed the topics much more.
iang1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Agent786OO)
lol i did go for a review session. IT LOOKS REALLy hard. i am just warning you now. even people who get 9s struggle with A level maths. I think you would need to out loads of effort in order ti gain a higher grade. Also the new big calculator with graphs scared me
that is why for the final 3 weeks I am revising all the basic topics and bridging the gap and making sure im good at differentiation and trig as they go into a lot of depth
iang1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Agent786OO)
that is why for the final 3 weeks I am revising all the basic topics and bridging the gap and making sure im good at differentiation and trig as they go into a lot of depth
Sohaanic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iang1)
AS calculus is relatively easy - it's not hard to score 90-100% on the end of topic tests. A2 is much harder as there is a lot more to learn but it just takes practise. I personally found A2 integration pretty difficult, however I suspect this may be due to the fact I had to learn a lot of it by myself whilst in lockdown. The trick to differentiation is practise- it’s good that you are learning it now, you will be pretty good at it by the time you reach your exams
fthd1999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am switching colleges so i will be switching exam boards for maths (aqa to edexcel). Does anybody know how different they are ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads