The Student Room Group

help with student council tax exemption

hello! im moving into a flat with my flatmate in the next couple of weeks; my flatmate has dropped out of uni and has to now pay council tax, does this mean i have to apply for council tax exemption? or will the council know that i am a full time student, as my flatmate has filled out his application for paying council tax and therefore gets a discount as i am a student? thank you!
Original post by sxdnecessary
hello! im moving into a flat with my flatmate in the next couple of weeks; my flatmate has dropped out of uni and has to now pay council tax, does this mean i have to apply for council tax exemption? or will the council know that i am a full time student, as my flatmate has filled out his application for paying council tax and therefore gets a discount as i am a student? thank you!

Hey @sxdnecessary [br] [br] I think it would depend if you're living in a student flat or not - you could check with the landlord/agent

Or it wouldn't hurt to go onto the local council website and just state that you're a student and exempt from council tax - there should be a bit on the site where you can do this

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply