The Student Room Group

URGENT only an hour left!!! Shy girl moving far away from home

I got my firm chose of uni, but it’s sooo far away from home.
So I called up clearing places and found something nearer.
I never got to visit my firm so I don’t know what’s it like in reality all I Asheville to go by is google and we all know how reliable that is...
I’ve just been around the town of the cellaring choice and haven’t fallen in love with it as a place but I am very keen on the course and people / teaching seem amazing

However, I can’t bring my self to decline my firm choice cause I love it so much.

I am worried that moving away will hurt my relationship with my family . They all want me closer. Not only that but I am a very shy Awaked girl who is just starting to learn how to be I independent.
I don’t know what to do and what will be better.
Both are similar in term of league tables
Both have different but still amazing courses
Both sound Amazing
I only have a few hours left to decide!
I just feel like I will fit in better at my firm chose even if I’ve never visited. Am I being ridiculous?
Don’t overthink it. It’ll be okay and you’re doing what’s best for you x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I never got to visit my firm so I don’t know what’s it like in reality all I Asheville to go by is google and we all know how reliable that is...
I’ve just been around the town of the cellaring choice and haven’t fallen in love with it as a place but I am very keen on the course and people / teaching seem amazing

However, I can’t bring my self to decline my firm choice cause I love it so much.

I am worried that moving away will hurt my relationship with my family . They all want me closer. Not only that but I am a very shy Awaked girl who is just starting to learn how to be I independent.
Both sound Amazing
I just feel like I will fit in better at my firm chose even if I’ve never visited. Am I being ridiculous?

It's quite understandable to get cold feet, but you put time and effort into choosing your firm, and you did so for a reason. Remember you're only at uni for about 30 weeks of the year so you'll have plenty of time with family etc. You're learning to become independent, which is important for your future, and in some ways it can be easier to commit yourself to a new place when the temptation to go home frequently isn't there because of distance/cost. The vast majority of first years are nervous and face living away from their families for the first time. You will be well supported.

Best of luck
(edited 3 years ago)

Both sound Amazing

Hey!

I know how stressful it can be when you're trying to decide something with a time limit - its quite pressurising!

Why don't you sit down and write out the pros and cons of both universities in terms of:
-The location - don't just base this on what your family want - make sure you are making the best choice for you, you can always come back and visit your family
-The course - which one has the modules you prefer
-Accommodation available at the uni - are you going to be living at uni or at home - maybe consider which accommodation at both unis is nicer/more affordable

Also don't worry about being shy, everyone will be in the same position making friends, just try your best to put yourself out there and join societies!
Also try talking to people on your course and I'm sure you'll make friends in no time :smile:

I hope this helps you!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Both sound Amazing

It seems unclear what you want?
It seems difficult tio answer without knowing the unis concerned.
Go with your gut feeling
Reply 6
South Hampton and Leeds . I’m in London
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
It seems unclear what you want?
It seems difficult tio answer without knowing the unis concerned.

Near: Southampton far: Leeds - I’m based in London
Original post by Aryasha
Near: Southampton far: Leeds - I’m based in London

Leeds is super easy to get to on the train, about an hour longer (from the terminal station, so Waterloo and St Pancras). Tickets from Leeds would be more expensive though. You need to make a decision for you, not your family

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending