The Student Room Group

Employability After Graduation (Law firms)

Maybe I'm overthinking this and developing a lil neurosis, but what does employability at top law firms (ideally Magic Circle firms) look like after graduating from different uni's?

So much of the data and AMA's I've seen seems to say that unless you're sitting at Oxbridge you're pretty much playing lottery with your employability. Is this just bs or am I actually S.O.L.

For reference, I'm going to UCL for law, and it seems that based on the Lidl ranking (https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019), UCL's representation at top firms is kind of 2nd tier to several other uni's (eg. Durham, Bristol, Exeter... etc).

I'm a little concerned on what my chances are looking at graduating from UCL and securing a decent TC and ideally associate position at a top firm.

Sorry, I realize I may sound a little neurotic, but in looking at my future, I'm a little concerned about what life will be like.

Scroll to see replies

you clearly don't have the critical thinking skills necessary for the top firms, so maybe aim lower down?:rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe I'm overthinking this and developing a lil neurosis, but what does employability at top law firms (ideally Magic Circle firms) look like after graduating from different uni's?

So much of the data and AMA's I've seen seems to say that unless you're sitting at Oxbridge you're pretty much playing lottery with your employability. Is this just bs or am I actually S.O.L.

For reference, I'm going to UCL for law, and it seems that based on the Lidl ranking (https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019), UCL's representation at top firms is kind of 2nd tier to several other uni's (eg. Durham, Bristol, Exeter... etc).

I'm a little concerned on what my chances are looking at graduating from UCL and securing a decent TC and ideally associate position at a top firm.

Sorry, I realize I may sound a little neurotic, but in looking at my future, I'm a little concerned about what life will be like.

Are you asking if firms consider UCL as inferior to Durham, Bristol, Exeter etc to the extent that it will damage your employability? If so, the answer is no.

Your chances will be determined by you.

What is S.O.L? :confused:

I think you are massively overthinking this - you're going to UCL for Law, your employment prospects are great but even Oxbridge graduates can struggle so there are no guarantees in life no matter how much you try to control it.

You will be fine.
The world is not as you think it is.
Bit depressing really.
Yes yopu are going to waste a massive amount of time on things like this.
Do you worry about everything?
Original post by bimbibap
you’re a complete pr*ck x

Why complete?
Get a work placement or work experience in reputable law firm to back up your grades. it's not just about the uni, you need experience to back up academics.
you’re a complete pr*ck x

Maybe you're not in the best place emotionally right now but lots of people would give anything to have a place at UCL for Law so try to enjoy your success a little rather than worrying about it :redface:
Original post by harrysbar
Maybe you're not in the best place emotionally right now but lots of people would give anything to have a place at UCL for Law so try to enjoy your success a little rather than worrying about it :redface:

Awww thats very sweety fluffy advice. I believe I shall rep you, dont use it all at once.

OH it wont let me.... maybe your advice was so good a rep would have been an insult.

Ahhh observational error .
(edited 3 years ago)

I’m not OP, Harry 😂😂😂😂😂
Original post by 999tigger
Awww thats very sweety fluffy advice. I believe I shall rep you, dont use it all at once.

OH it wont let me.... maybe your advice was so good a rep would have been an insult.

Ahhh observational error .

Then I blew it by quoting the wrong person :rolleyes:

Sorry @bimbibap I assumed you were Anon - anyway, they can see what I wrote to you and know it should have gone to them!

Sorry @bimbibap I assumed you were Anon - anyway, they can see what I wrote to you and know it should have gone to them!

yep, but wouldnt let me anyway.

That’s fine, didn’t mind being a Law student at UCL for a while
That’s fine, didn’t mind being a Law student at UCL for a while

:rofl:
Original post by 999tigger
I believe they were alluding to the fact the OP is a UCL student and you mistook him for being the OP?

I know, I was laughing at their joke
I know, I was laughing at their joke

I shall delete myself . The post. I always thought that emoji was someone scratching his head as in opizzled. Doh.
Reply 16

A degree is just the basic thing an employer will look for. Wherever you go it will be important to have work and voluntary experience. There are various summer projects available in law throughout the UK, that do not directly link to your uni. Be proactive in contacting firms and specific people to ask about shadowing or work experience too. Take part in other things at uni such as the debating club, sports clubs, charity work (but not the one where you pay to go abroad and paint a church or whatever).
Also your degree classification is as important as where the degree is from, so work hard and get a first!
Of course, none of this guarantees you a job, but at least you'll have a good shot!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by L-K
A degree is just the basic thing an employer will look for. Wherever you go it will be important to have work and voluntary experience. There are various summer projects available in law throughout the UK, that do not directly link to your uni. Be proactive in contacting firms and specific people to ask about shadowing or work experience too. Take part in other things at uni such as the debating club, sports clubs, charity work (but not the one where you pay to go abroad and paint a church or whatever).
Also your degree classification will be more important than where the degree is from, so work hard and get a first!
Of course, none of this guarantees you a job, but at least you'll have a good shot!

It's slightly more nuanced for the legal market.
Do you have legal work experience?
Original post by harry_gill_23
Do you have legal work experience?

He is only just startiing uni? Why would work experience be relevant at this stage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending