Should employers value education?

Watch
megan23052
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My employers (Network Rail) are forcing me to do a certification course (below bachelors) at a lower ranked uni than my level, what do I do? I have a masters in science from Manchester, a first class bachelors from Oxford too, but they are forcing me to do a certification from Glasgow Caledonian. The pay is good (around 30k for the first year combining London play + joining bonus), role is a rational grad scheme and for my career planning, just a step towards building some experience until I get a better opportunity . I completely understand I should be grateful for this, but, having gone to Oxford and Manchester- quite frankly, GCU seems like a big big downgrade to both my CV and qualifications. It is almost like they do not care what education I have (or my past hard work). Honestly already quite disappointed at this and do not see myself working there for very long term already.
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
this post screams i'm a massive snob
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are your employers providing the funding for the course?
Is the certification for cpd purposes, an insurance requirement or a part of on the job training that all new employees with a specific role/department have to comply with as a condition of their employment?
megan23052
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
lol , if having worked hard and asking to be recognised is " I am a massive snob", then I am a massive snob and in that scenario have no regrets being one... I know what I went through to get where I am and hence do not seek your approval
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your employer requires you to do a certification-they don’t need to take any of your education history into account, it is clearly not relevant. 🙄
Are they paying for you to do it?
Don’t like it, leave
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't imagine this is real. Why would someone be complaining about being given training to do a job.
Last edited by nexttime; 2 months ago
megan23052
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Are your employers providing the funding for the course?
Is the certification for cpd purposes, an insurance requirement or a part of on the job training that all new employees with a specific role/department have to comply with as a condition of their employment?
They are providing the funding for the course and it was not stated that it would be the condition of the employment when applying . It was only advertised as "opportunity to do a level 3 Apprenticeship" so I thought it was more or less optional and I could opt to do more relevant things. However, upon accepting the offer, I was automatically told " all graduates have to do it as part of the scheme" and kind of feel a bit cheated here. But whatever, I can understand this might be in poor taste, so I should be ok.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I can't imagine this is real. Why would someone be complaining about having to do training to do a job.
tsr is unreal.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I can't imagine this is real. Why would someone be complaining about having to do training to do a job.
Agree. So much stuff here seems to be obvious bait yet no one ever calls it out. Years ago I remember making a thread about about top universities being racist cause they don't let monkeys or pigs in and people were replying with genuine arguments.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't really see what your problem is? The course is presumably essential to provide you with the knowledge you need to do the job they want you to do. Your past education is kind of irrelevant.
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by megan23052)
I have a masters in science from Manchester, a first class bachelors from Oxford too, but they are forcing me to do a certification from Glasgow Caledonian
i lol'd. you aren't guaranteed a good job just because you went to those universities.
megan23052
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
I don't really see what your problem is? The course is presumably essential to provide you with the knowledge you need to do the job they want you to do. Your past education is kind of irrelevant.
I suppose my problem is not really with the training itself (more than happy to do it if they offered more professional qualifications, like PRINCE2 or CIPD kinda like qualifications). It is more to do with the fact that I did not get 3 A*s to get into Oxford, worked really hard to get a first and a masters with 2 years of experience post it. Now I am being forced to do something that has an entry requirement of like 5 Cs in GCSE that I could have done without doing a degree.My past education might be irrelevant to the job (and its quite easy to say it as a third person) but its just heartbreaking that all that has been ignored thats all.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It is more to do with the fact that I did not get 3 A*s to get into Oxford, worked really hard to get a first and a masters with 2 years of experience post it. Now I am being forced to do something that has an entry requirement of like 5 Cs in GCSE that I could have done without doing a degree.
welcome to the real world, no one cares you went to oxford/manchester x
Last edited by angelinahx; 2 months ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I suppose my problem is not really with the training itself (more than happy to do it if they offered more professional qualifications, like PRINCE2 or CIPD kinda like qualifications). It is more to do with the fact that I did not get 3 A*s to get into Oxford, worked really hard to get a first and a masters with 2 years of experience post it. Now I am being forced to do something that has an entry requirement of like 5 Cs in GCSE that I could have done without doing a degree.My past education might be irrelevant to the job (and its quite easy to say it as a third person) but its just heartbreaking that all that has been ignored thats all.
You clearly think this job is below you - why not look for something else where your previous qualifications will be recognised?
Last edited by black tea; 2 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
Not if they think that 30k in London is anywhere near "good".
V℮rsions
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
lol , if having worked hard and asking to be recognised is " I am a massive snob", then I am a massive snob and in that scenario have no regrets being one... I know what I went through to get where I am and hence do not seek your approval
I mean.. if you're complaining about the free education which is probably necessary because it's not a university you think is up to your standards then yeah... you probably are one.
edit: you could just not put it on your CV
Last edited by V℮rsions; 2 months ago
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 2_versions)
I mean.. if you're complaining about the free education which is probably necessary because it's not a university you think is up to your standards then yeah... you probably are one.
people on here can be so unreal :laugh:
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd think employers would value if you have the experience for a job, and if not, how willing and successful you would be at undertaking necessary training. You sound like a complete snob who is detached from the real world.
megan23052
Rep:
?
or maybe I just believe in Meritocracy?
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i'm reporting this thread as it's probably a troll. no one with a 1st from oxford would write such rubbish.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.22%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (634)
49%

Watched Threads