Will AAB universities accept ABBB grades?

Watch
sleepycloud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am hoping to go to university next year since I decided to defer/possibly reapply this year. I got 1 A and 3 B's (including the Welsh Baccalaureate) and was wondering if it's likely that AAB universities such as Lancaster or Loughborough would give me an offer without clearing? I am hoping to study English Literature but my A grade is in Psychology. Although it seems less likely I was also looking into Warwick as I really liked the open day there. Usually they ask for 3 A's however I've noticed them ask for 3 B's in clearing both this year and also last year. Would I potentially get an offer with ABBB or is this definitely unlikely?

If anyone knows any other universities with AAB-BBB entry requirements for English Literature please let me know!
Last edited by sleepycloud; 3 months ago
Jozanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sleepycloud)
I am hoping to go to university next year since I decided to defer/possibly reapply this year. I got 1 A and 3 B's (including the Welsh Baccalaureatte) and was wondering if it's likely that AAB universities such as Lancaster or Loughborough would give me an offer without clearing? I am hoping to study English Literature but my A grade is in Psychology. Although it seems less likely I was also looking into Warwick as I really liked the open day there. Usually they ask for 3 A's however I've noticed them ask for 3 B's in clearing both this year and also last year. Would I potentially get an offer with ABBB or is this definitely unlikely?

If anyone knows any other universities with AAB-BBB entry requirements for English Literature please let me know!
Depends on their leniency and that comes down to various other factors i.e. if they have enough space on the course for students who just missed the entry requirements. The same goes with clearing; just before results day/on results day the uni looks at how many places are not filled or declined, and based on that they alter the entry requirements. A uni with an entry requirement of AAA can go down to as low as BBB if they are struggling to get candidates in or can go as high as A*AA if they only have very few places left. It's definitely worth a shot applying though, I can't guarantee you will get an offer but you'll have a good chance!
sleepycloud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Jozanic)
Depends on their leniency and that comes down to various other factors i.e. if they have enough space on the course for students who just missed the entry requirements. The same goes with clearing; just before results day/on results day the uni looks at how many places are not filled or declined, and based on that they alter the entry requirements. A uni with an entry requirement of AAA can go down to as low as BBB if they are struggling to get candidates in or can go as high as A*AA if they only have very few places left. It's definitely worth a shot applying though, I can't guarantee you will get an offer but you'll have a good chance!
Thanks for your reply! If I end up reapplying I might try and apply for a couple higher ones to see if I manage to get an offer. That makes a lot of sense since the clearing grades seem to vary quite a lot. One of the universities I applied to lowered their AAB-ABB to CCC which was a massive difference!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sleepycloud)
I am hoping to go to university next year since I decided to defer/possibly reapply this year. I got 1 A and 3 B's (including the Welsh Baccalaureatte) and was wondering if it's likely that AAB universities such as Lancaster or Loughborough would give me an offer without clearing? I am hoping to study English Literature but my A grade is in Psychology. Although it seems less likely I was also looking into Warwick as I really liked the open day there. Usually they ask for 3 A's however I've noticed them ask for 3 B's in clearing both this year and also last year. Would I potentially get an offer with ABBB or is this definitely unlikely?

Hi @sleepycloud,

I'm a current student at Lancaster University and I study English Literature and Creative Writing.

Lancaster offers an English Literature BA (Hons) for AAB (2021 entry), as well as many different courses and combinations, with an A in English Literature. You can find more information on the course here, and I'd recommend having a good look at the modules, to see if there is anything that would interest you.

English Literature is being offered in Clearing for this year as BBB, with a B in English Literature.

I've really enjoyed my first year studying English Literature at Lancaster! The department is super friendly and supportive, and I've had the opportunity to explore my own interests whilst gaining a great understanding of literature at a university level.

If you'd like more information about English Literature at Lancaster, or if you have any questions about the university in general, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (652)
41.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (323)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.6%

Watched Threads