M1 revision problem Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Chameleon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I find M1 okay generally but when it comes to questions such as;
- State how you have used the information that the string is inextensible.
- Explain briefly where the assumption that the strings are light has been used in your answer to part (a).

I really stumble. Can anyone tell me what common mistakes are?
I answer these questions and my teacher gives me 1/2 marks because he said I am along the right lines but I'm missing things out. Is there a technique to answering these questions?
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you learn the properties of (say) a light inextensible string, and start by quoting those

so light that mass can be neglected.
no stretching, so length remains same whatever value of T, or whatever motion there is.

you should then have a better chance of perceiving the consequences of these properties for the question.

Aitch
himurakenshin
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
OK say that there is an object connected to a string and there is a xN force pulling on the string, and you have to find the force exerted on the object, you will resolve the tension etc. so hence you have assumed that the string is inextensible since if it was extensible then some of that force would be used to stretch the string. Then if there is another question and you have to find moments or something (for example), and in the system there are strings, you dont consider the weight of the strings. Hence you have assumed that the strings are light.

Now do you understand where you would write that?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?