Car problem: drove through a flooded road

Watch
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I just need some advice on what to do next.

Basically last night I was enroute home after picking up some chicken and chips, problem was it was coming down hard and I saw uphead a bus going through a big puddle near a junction. I thought no biggie my car can handle it and next thing you know I'm waist deep in water and the check engine light comes on as well as my car quickly dropping revs. I pop out the otherside and I hear the engine knocking hard, I know at this point the car is close to being kaput so I quickly go forward and I see another lake (likely not as deep but my engine was already struggling), I do a quick u-turn and head towards the main roads and managed to make it home.

I left the car alone after arriving home and now 12 hours later I lifted the bonnet and removed all the air intake tubing and took a look at the engine oil (unfortunately it's mustardy goo and it managed to go into some of the intake tubing), I checked the coolant levels to ensure myself I didn't blow my head gasket at the same time and it seemed to be at roughly the same level. I ran a OBD 2 diagnostic test and it said misfire in one of the cylinders, so that means the spark plugs are also wet, I opened it up and the coils were coated in mustard and 2 of the spark plugs were coated in yellow as well.

Rn to fix the car, I'll need: 3 spark plugs, Air filter, Oil filter, Engine Oil and Engine Oil flush as well as the patience to drain the oil twice after heating it up to operating temperature. But I don't know if it'll run like it originally did.

Is it worth fixing the car or should I make a insurance claim about the car being flooded? What would you do in this situation?
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)

Basically last night I was enroute home after picking up some chicken and chips, problem was it was coming down hard and I saw uphead a bus going through a big puddle near a junction. I thought no biggie my car can handle it and next thing you know I'm waist deep in water and the check engine light comes on as well as my car quickly dropping revs. I pop out the otherside and I hear the engine knocking hard, I know at this point the car is close to being kaput so I quickly go forward and I see another lake (likely not as deep but my engine was already struggling), I do a quick u-turn and head towards the main roads and managed to make it home.

I left the car alone after arriving home and now 12 hours later I lifted the bonnet and removed all the air intake tubing and took a look at the engine oil (unfortunately it's mustardy goo and it managed to go into some of the intake tubing), I checked the coolant levels to ensure myself I didn't blow my head gasket at the same time and it seemed to be at roughly the same level. I ran a OBD 2 diagnostic test and it said misfire in one of the cylinders, so that means the spark plugs are also wet, I opened it up and the coils were coated in mustard and 2 of the spark plugs were coated in yellow as well.

Rn to fix the car, I'll need: 3 spark plugs, Air filter, Oil filter, Engine Oil and Engine Oil flush as well as the patience to drain the oil twice after heating it up to operating temperature. But I don't know if it'll run like it originally did.

Is it worth fixing the car or should I make a insurance claim about the car being flooded? What would you do in this situation?
And a new head gasket.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Who wants to vote on bent con-rods?

If you have water in your oil then you have bigger problems than some wet spark plugs my friend.

Time to start shopping for a new engine in all probability.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why do you still have your driving license after admitting that you keep running red lights?
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Put it in rice
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDE)
And a new head gasket.
(Original post by Nuffles)
Who wants to vote on bent con-rods?

If you have water in your oil then you have bigger problems than some wet spark plugs my friend.

Time to start shopping for a new engine in all probability.
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
Put it in rice
Oof, so you lot think I've already killed it when I took the plunge through that flooded road?

Btw what makes you lot think the head gasket and the piston rods could be shot? Doing a head gasket replacement alone is going to be effort, mechanic will fix it for £500 and it will cost me another £100-200 since I may as well replace the timing chain, waterpump and tensioner since they're all OEM as well.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Why do you still have your driving license after admitting that you keep running red lights?
Put that aside, because the NIP never arrived.

We should focus on the present and deal with my flooded engine first and foremost. I might flip cars but losing my daily driver will be a huge set back.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Put that aside, because the NIP never arrived.

We should focus on the present and deal with my flooded engine first and foremost. I might flip cars but losing my daily driver will be a huge set back.
Yes put aside the fact that you broke the law :innocent: hilarious!
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rice is the answer to your problems :fisheye:
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
Rice is the answer to your problems :fisheye:
As much as I want to lob a cart full of rice through my engine, I question how I'll be able to remove it afterwards.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

My guess would be that you've killed it. Bent rods are a possibility - water is a lot more difficult to compress than air.

It shouldn't be too expensive to replace the plugs, filters and engine oil, so you might want to try and see. If the water was really waist deep, I wouldn't be too hopeful though.

Perhaps you should pay more attention when you're driving?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 months ago
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
My guess would be that you've killed it. Bent rods are a possibility.

It shouldn't be too expensive to replace the plugs, filters and engine oil, so you might want to try and see. If the water was really waist deep, I wouldn't be too hopeful though.

Perhaps you should pay more attention when you're driving?
Perhaps indeed.

It's hard to tell the depth of some of the lakes created by flooded roads, especially at midnight. I went through about 3 lakes before that deep behemoth and engine was fine hence why I wasn't fussed until I actually dived into it.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's almost as if karma has struck...
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's almost as if karma has struck...
If I had remembered it was traffic light runner I'd have suggested leaving engine overnight in salty water.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Just as long as the intake didn't suck water and the cranks have not been bended, all the repairs should be easy and cheap.

I don't see why the oil is mustard, there is no reason why it should go like this, unless the engine sucked a lot of water
I guess you had a head gasket failure earlier which happened not too long ago so you didn't notice, and it just coincidented with the flooded road.

A month ago I had to reverse on a flooded road as it was so deep my car litterally started floating and it was losing tracktion each time I hit the throttle a little bit more.
Nothing happend, oil and coolant are ok. no harm has come to the car and keeps running without any work on it.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Just as long as the intake didn't suck water and the cranks have not been bended, all the repairs should be easy and cheap.

I don't see why the oil is mustard, there is no reason why it should go like this, unless the engine sucked a lot of water
I guess you had a head gasket failure earlier which happened not too long ago so you didn't notice, and it just coincidented with the flooded road.

A month ago I had to reverse on a flooded road as it was so deep my car litterally started floating and it was losing tracktion each time I hit the throttle a little bit more.
Nothing happend, oil and coolant are ok. no harm has come to the car and keeps running without any work on it.
Thank you for the insightful explanation.

I check my engine oil like once every 2 weeks (because I'm a food delivery driver and normally peg the car hard on a regular drive) and it was certi, no problems at all the last time I had checked. Hence why I ruled it out, but who knows since after entering the puddle I had to drive for 2 miles and then attempt reversing into a tight parking spot when I reached home.

I think the main reason for so much water being sucked into the engine is due to me being at 20mph (as it was a road with lots of speed bumps) before I dived in, the engine quickly loss revs and I had to shift it down to 1st gear from 3rd, I heard knocking while I was in 2nd and about 1/2 way through the puddle.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You’re a very unlucky man. Were the chips still warm when you got home?
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
You’re a very unlucky man. Were the chips still warm when you got home?
Lol I was munching while driving, I lost all appetite when I went through that flooded road though... Listening to a banger and bang goes my engine T^T

Ngl I got dashcam footage, only problem is my dashcam has some weird overwrite feature so I don't know if my last adventure is saved. Probs worth uploading on YouTube to warn other idiots not to dip their cars in deep water at night while taking the secondary roads home.
Last edited by Jang Gwangnam; 2 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
It's possible that water went through the crankcase breather pipe. You could also crack the block from quickly submerging it in cold water.
Jang Gwangnam
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It's possible that water went through the crankcase breather pipe. You could also crack the block from quickly submerging it in cold water.
Oof it only gets worst the more I read through this thread T^T

I've attached pics illustrating exactly how bad the flooding was by daylight (so roughly 9 hrs later). I had it worst because the storm was on its last breath when I drove through the flooded road I went to.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.46%
I'm not sure (56)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (360)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (596)
48.69%

Watched Threads