Watch
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shenotalright)
In London ?
Literally every McDonald’s I’ve been to, if you order with the self check out it has calories
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yzanne)
there are good arguments here for pro and con - i'm in the middle.

i don't think it's the best way of dealing with the obesity problem.
Its a tricky one I agree. Not a solution, but part of the solution. I am no calorie counter but downgraded myself from a Wetherspoons big breakfast to a smaller one when I learned the large had 1250 calories, over half my daily intake in 1 meal.

What I wonder is how restaurants that have daily menus would cope.

If reducing obesity is about people taking responsibility for it, at least give them the info they need to make informed devisions.
Shenotalright
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Its a tricky one I agree. Not a solution, but part of the solution. I am no calorie counter but downgraded myself from a Wetherspoons big breakfast to a smaller one when I learned the large had 1250 calories, over half my daily intake in 1 meal.

What I wonder is how restaurants that have daily menus would cope.

If reducing obesity is about people taking responsibility for it, at least give them the info they need to make informed devisions.
I was thinking about it and I feel as thought at first, people will acc take the calories into consideration but after a while people will start to ignore it. Calories are all over the menus in America and they’re still quite obese. As someone with disordered eating and likes to stay in control, Id rather count my calories before entering a restaurant than when I’m at the restaurant but I do think it could create some tension and anxiety towards some foods for everyone.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure when these appear on menus that they're radically inaccurate anyway, but whatever.
Shenotalright
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm pretty sure when these appear on menus that they're radically inaccurate anyway, but whatever.
How come?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shenotalright)
How come?
Portion sizes and the proportions of particular ingredients are so variable. It's not like they're measuring out the number of chips you get with a hamburger or the salad, not to mention the impact of condiments etc.

I'm assuming they don't measure the calorie value of specific ingredients at all anyway. Some burgers may be more fatty than others, for example - but I suspect they're just seeing a list that has "x1 6oz hamburger in bun = [whatever] kcal" and picking it off of there.
Last edited by L i b; 1 month ago
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
Portion sizes and the proportions of particular ingredients are so variable. It's not like they're measuring out the number of chips you get with a hamburger or the salad, not to mention the impact of condiments etc.

I'm assuming they don't measure the calorie value of specific ingredients at all anyway. Some burgers may be more fatty than others, for example - but I suspect they're just seeing a list that has "x1 6oz hamburger in bun = [whatever] kcal" and picking it off of there.

Exactly. It’s a good idea in theory but in a real life fresh food restaurant it just wouldn’t work.

Profit margins are already small for a lot of restaurants and if chefs were required to weigh every ingredient out for every meal it would result in more chefs being needed which would increase payroll. Plus every time a supplier changes an item or you switch an ingredient to take advantage of a wholesale deal you’d immediately lose the savings by having to reprint the entire sodding menu to change one number.

Literally nobody is going to cooperate with such nonsense! :laugh:
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I do.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be honest i can think of worse things, if nothing else it would be interesting to know - although given the variation in portion sizes for some dishes it could be tricky to get anything very accurate on them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads