is there anyway I can get really cheap train tickets? Any ways would be helpful
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
lookup split ticketing and also try to travel at off peak times if you can.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you have a railcard, definitely take advantage of that and use it to get about 30% off your train tickets. On Unidays, there may be some discount codes for train tickets with certain operators like LNER. To get the best price, definitely buy your train tickets directly from the train operator. Split ticketing is also a good alternative and travel at off-peak times if possible.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
To get the best price, definitely buy your train tickets directly from the train operator.
I would disagree with this, I often find it cheaper elsewhere, especially on split ticketing websites which the operators don't usually have on their website.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
I would disagree with this, I often find it cheaper elsewhere, especially on split ticketing websites which the operators don't usually have on their website.
Sometimes the operators have special offers, which are only available by booking directly with them. Also, some ticket sellers charge a handling fee.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you can book in advance, and be a bit flexible about when you travel, you can get much lower prices. Also, get a railcard if you can.

Note that with advance bookings, you are normally required to travel on a specific train. I believe you can book up to 12 weeks in advance, and the cheapest fares are first-come-first-served, and limited numbers are available.

Try using the National Rail Enquiries web site (https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/) and see what pricing is like and how it varies.

Also, note that pricing doesn't necessarily have to make sense -- sometimes two singles can be cheaper than a return; sometimes "walk-up" pricing can be cheaper than advance booking. Also, as suggested, look up "split ticketing".
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Depending on where you're going & how soon you're planning on travelling, if you book tickets well in advance you can sometimes get some really good discounts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (799)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads