The Student Room Group

Can a university withdraw an unconditional offer, when they made the mistake?

Hi, I recently was given an unconditional offer from a university, and I accepted it straight away.
The problem lies were I have not long been out of prison, therefore I still have a spent conviction. I disclosed all this information on my original university application, so on my part I have done no wrong.
Anyway, I went to enrol and they told me they could not enrol me due to having a conviction and that they was unaware of this.
Are they aloud to do this? I completed an essay and got accepted for student finance, literally everything done properly and all ready to start, they gave me the unconditional offer, I accept; then when I go to enrol I get this. Are they allowed to do this as I am under the assumption when i accepted I entered into a contract with the university, it confirms this on my confirmation letter. They also are aware that I did disclose it on my application, I'm truly devastated as I looked at this university course as my door to moving on with my life and leaving my **** past where it belongs, in the past.

Does anyone have any advice, or know any answers. Thanks.
What was the course you were applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by thomasplants
What was the course you were applying for?

computing technologies, so there is no need for a check, not working with any vulnerable people or children
It depends, that just means you don't need a DBS check. If a course/university said you need to disclose an unspent conviction then you do. I can't remember if ACAS ask if you have any unspent convictions (obviously you do). I'd recommend waiting until it becomes spent and apply again.
Original post by thomasplants
It depends, that just means you don't need a DBS check. If a course/university said you need to disclose an unspent conviction then you do. I can't remember if ACAS ask if you have any unspent convictions (obviously you do). I'd recommend waiting until it becomes spent and apply again.

They did disclose it, and got an unconditional offer on that basis.
Original post by george7784
Hi, I recently was given an unconditional offer from a university, and I accepted it straight away.
The problem lies were I have not long been out of prison, therefore I still have a spent conviction. I disclosed all this information on my original university application, so on my part I have done no wrong.
Anyway, I went to enrol and they told me they could not enrol me due to having a conviction and that they was unaware of this.
Are they aloud to do this? I completed an essay and got accepted for student finance, literally everything done properly and all ready to start, they gave me the unconditional offer, I accept; then when I go to enrol I get this. Are they allowed to do this as I am under the assumption when i accepted I entered into a contract with the university, it confirms this on my confirmation letter. They also are aware that I did disclose it on my application, I'm truly devastated as I looked at this university course as my door to moving on with my life and leaving my **** past where it belongs, in the past.

Does anyone have any advice, or know any answers. Thanks.

This must be stressful. Don't back down. Impress upon them that they entered into a contract and cannot now withdraw the place. Push it up the management chain there. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
This must be stressful. Don't back down. Impress upon them that they entered into a contract and cannot now withdraw the place. Push it up the management chain there. Good luck.

appreciate it, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest