The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it worth it to join the JCR at Durham

I've recently accepted my offer to study at castle and whilst filling out the forms I noticed there's the junior common room which they recommend you join. However it costs £240 for a 4 year course. Does anybody know if it's worth it?
Reply 1
JCRs at Durham provide half the college experience: formals, college clubs, college facilities, running for JCR positions etc. Take a look:

https://castlejcr.com/jcr-levy/

IMO you'd be missing out on a lot by not paying
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
See if you can get a taster in week one, because in my experience the JCR is where a lot of the idiots congregate at university. Though no idea about Durham or your college.
I personally think it’s worth it and a bargain even. It’s where you can hang out and gives you more access to college life. Especially at castle if you want to attend formals, buy wine, attend events, etc.
Original post by StarLinyx
See if you can get a taster in week one, because in my experience the JCR is where a lot of the idiots congregate at university. Though no idea about Durham or your college.

The JCR at Durham is completely different to most universities...it effectively means you get cheap tickets to various things, subsidised freshers week, free events etc. The union is perhaps more like what you're describing!
--
In my opinion, it's definitely worth it at almost all colleges :yep: In my college for example, it brings the cost of the gym down every year from about £80 for non members to £20. You save about 20% on events (such as formals, balls etc.) too, fresher's week is free etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending