blue whale
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm creating my budget for the year and planning to study Law but I'm unsure how much money to set aside for books.

I plan to buy everything second hand but not sure how many books a typical student buys so any advice and rough estimates would be helpful.
SarahT2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by blue whale)
I'm creating my budget for the year and planning to study Law but I'm unsure how much money to set aside for books.

I plan to buy everything second hand but not sure how many books a typical student buys so any advice and rough estimates would be helpful.
I'm studying law also . Would also like to know .Thanks
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Often the core text books are either brand new or last year, so expensive.
4 core subjects needed £35 textbook each plus a statute book £10. So that’s £180 there.
Then I generally picked up £20 more for ea h subject in revision guides/stuff tutor said was a simple guide to the subject (older versions for £5 etc) do another £100.
So £300 first year costs! But I don’t like reading online do much and have been reselling as soon as did last exam.
Euphoria101
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Often the core text books are either brand new or last year, so expensive.
4 core subjects needed £35 textbook each plus a statute book £10. So that’s £180 there.
Then I generally picked up £20 more for ea h subject in revision guides/stuff tutor said was a simple guide to the subject (older versions for £5 etc) do another £100.
So £300 first year costs! But I don’t like reading online do much and have been reselling as soon as did last exam.
300?!?😳
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The library only had say 20 copies of each core textbooks (one week loan) so no real choice.
I did try and get as much off amazon second hand as possible so £27 over £40 new but the books are pricy!
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The library only had say 20 copies of each core textbooks (one week loan) so no real choice.
I did try and get as much off amazon second hand as possible so £27 over £40 new but the books are pricy!
Did you have to buy them all at the start? Sorry for the questions!
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The core text books yes. Within a few weeks anyway.
The rest could wait until next semester.
The statute books are annoying, we had to buy as only books allowed to take into exams (then exams online so did not need) your university may not require them in exams.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The core text books yes. Within a few weeks anyway.
The rest could wait until next semester.
The statute books are annoying, we had to buy as only books allowed to take into exams (then exams online so did not need) your university may not require them in exams.
So do most people pay with their own savings?
Thanks!
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by blue whale)

Somewhere in the region of £150 brand new. Obviously they would be significantly cheaper second hand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (186)
43.66%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.5%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.75%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
20.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (44)
10.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.87%

Watched Threads