Can I transfer uni's if I am a January intake applicant. Help

Watch
amber2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My current alevel grades were not the best so I decided to resit them as an individual applicant. Now because of covid I have no choice but to take my exams in October. I applied for the January intake as I wanted to revise for my exams and get best grade possible and was hoping on transferring unis with my new improved alevel grades. But as a January intake applicant when will my course finish will it be in time for when regular unis start (September /October) I can't find any info on this or maybe I'm not looking properly.
Any help appreciated as I really would like to transfer unis.
Last edited by amber2106; 5 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Which university and course are you hoping to start in January?
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Which university and course are you hoping to start in January?
Anglia ruskin and Law (LLB)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by amber2106)
Anglia ruskin and Law (LLB)
Ok. Well that was a nightmare.

The answer will be no. The January start is not an accelerated first year. You will only have taken half the first year modules by the summer with the other half sat in the autumn/winter term 2021

https://web.anglia.ac.uk/modulecatal...an_ft_fp.phtml
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ok. Well that was a nightmare.

The answer will be no. The January start is not an accelerated first year. You will only have taken half the first year modules by the summer with the other half sat in the autumn/winter term 2021

https://web.anglia.ac.uk/modulecatal...an_ft_fp.phtml
Do you know if Its possible to transfer half way through uni?
Or transfer at all to another uni. I've invested so much time and effort into studying and working in order to pay to resit exams and I'm not in a position where I can take another year out and had my hopes set on going to somewhat of a decent uni.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do you know if Its possible to transfer half way through uni?
Or transfer at all to another uni. I've invested so much time and effort into studying and working in order to pay to resit exams and I'm not in a position where I can take another year out and had my hopes set on going to somewhat of a decent uni.
Transferring university, especially for law where you need specific modules covered for the degree to be accredited, is not simple.

If you don’t take a gap year now and start in January then you’ll just end up taking a gap 6 months later on to transfer. And that’s assuming you can find a compatible law degree to switch to.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Transferring university, especially for law where you need specific modules covered for the degree to be accredited, is not simple.

If you don’t take a gap year now and start in January then you’ll just end up taking a gap 6 months later on to transfer. And that’s assuming you can find a compatible law degree to switch to.
Dont go anywhere thinking you can transfer because you probably wont be able to.
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)

What if I ask my uni to start in September instead I have got an unconditional offer from them n loads of ppl r in clearing atm
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What if I ask my uni to start in September instead I have got an unconditional offer from them n loads of ppl r in clearing atm
Transferring is very difficult. Modules have to match and you have to have the necessary A level entry standards. You would probably to re start year 1 elsewhere.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So you’d waste a year of student funding to study at ARU for 4 months and then restart in year 1 of another law degree in September 2021?

Couldn’t you find a better use of your time?
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
So you’d waste a year of student funding to study at ARU for 4 months and then restart in year 1 of another law degree in September 2021?

Couldn’t you find a better use of your time?
No I'm saying what if I ask to start uni in September 2020 instead of January 2021. I'd aim to transfer into Yr 2 at a different uni.
Last edited by amber2106; 5 months ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No I'm saying what if I ask to start uni in September 2020 instead of January 2021.
Would you still want to transfer after first year? If so it’s still likely that you would have to restart an LLB in yr 1 in September 2021. Even with great grades from October exams (pretty tricky to sort out while also trying to settle in on a university course) you would need an almost perfect match of first year modules to transfer without restarting.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My current alevel grades were not the best so I decided to resit them as an individual applicant. Now because of covid I have no choice but to take my exams in October. I applied for the January intake as I wanted to revise for my exams and get best grade possible and was hoping on transferring unis with my new improved alevel grades. But as a January intake applicant when will my course finish will it be in time for when regular unis start (September /October) I can't find any info on this or maybe I'm not looking properly.
Any help appreciated as I really would like to transfer unis.
You're obviously not very keen on Anglia Ruskin as you are already planning how to leave before you've started. I know you are keen to start uni but it would be more logical to take another year out rather than to waste a year of student funding at a uni you don't want to go to. I think your best bet would be to forget uni for this year and reapply to better unis next year with better grades. The exams you take in October won't even count as resits and you could revise for them up until October and then try to find paid employment afterwards.
amber2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Would you still want to transfer after first year? If so it’s still likely that you would have to restart an LLB in yr 1 in September 2021. Even with great grades from October exams (pretty tricky to sort out while also trying to settle in on a university course) you would need an almost perfect match of first year modules to transfer without restarting.
Ive looked at courses at other unis I'm interested and they r pretty similar, If I'm allowed to start in September then after I get my grades I will put in an application transfer ASAP as the starting courses are pretty similar which is relief.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ive looked at courses at other unis I'm interested and they r pretty similar, If I'm allowed to start in September then after I get my grades I will put in an application transfer ASAP as the starting courses are pretty similar which is relief.
Your hanging on to the belief you can transfer somewhere better. You have been told by experts here it isnt likely to happen. Wherever you go the likelyhood is you will have to do the 3 years there or restart year 1 somewhere else. It is extremely unlikely and rare to transfer to another university.
ARUOfficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Amber
There are spaces to start Law at ARU in September (and guaranteed accommodation until next friday), why don't you give us a call on 01245 686868 (if you can before 5pm today) or fill out the application form online (accessed here: https://aru.ac.uk/study/apply-online...&clearing=true)
This may make your transfer process easier in the future, if you think you can study for law and do your retakes at once, but it is best you bear that in mind. Our admissions team may also be able to predict how easily transferring would be, but hopefully after a year with us, you might want to stay!

Best
Megan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (408)
56.12%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise