The Student Room Group

Teaching abroad/life advice needed!

I'm 23 and hate my boring office job, I really want to do something in travel (when the world becomes safer!) I'm really unsure of what to do though, I'm in a steady relationship and my boyfriend keeps hinting that we should buy a house together. I do want to move out but I've also been thinking a lot about teaching English abroad and I'm not sure I could do that if I have a mortgage (I've just read that lenders may not be happy to accept that kind of income) I want to do both but I'm scared that if I get a house then I won't be able to go work or abroad or travel. Any advice?
I've heard bad things about teaching english in other countries. Especially in regards to the poaching of local jobs from qualified individuals. if you don't speak the other language fluently don't go, it wouldn't be helpful to you or the students. Have you heard of a working hoilday visa? it's pretty good and loads of different countries are involved e.g japan, france, Australia. basically its a 2 year visa to work and live in another country.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 23 and hate my boring office job, I really want to do something in travel (when the world becomes safer!) I'm really unsure of what to do though, I'm in a steady relationship and my boyfriend keeps hinting that we should buy a house together. I do want to move out but I've also been thinking a lot about teaching English abroad and I'm not sure I could do that if I have a mortgage (I've just read that lenders may not be happy to accept that kind of income) I want to do both but I'm scared that if I get a house then I won't be able to go work or abroad or travel. Any advice?

I've also heard mixed stories about teaching English abroad. You'll need to look into it more. If you did do that, would you boyfriend do the same or stay in the UK? If the latter, then you need to think about how a long distance relationship would work. If he did stay, he could buy the house (if he could afford to) and then you could buy into it and be added to the mortgage when you came back to England permanently (you'd need proper financial and legal advise for this though!).
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Hi, I think you have to sit down and have a really good think about what you actually want to do in life and if or where your boyfriend fits into your life, do you see yourself getting married to him or being with him in the future?

I'm not 100% sure how mortgages work but could you get accepted for the mortgage first and then go to a different country to teach? That way your still paying monthly but it will just show on your paperwork that you have a permanent job?

Also, I would check TEFL, you can often do a shortish online course which means your qualified to teach abroad, they often will pay you to work in a specific school and will take care of the flights, accomodation etc and the place would be expecting you so it's not like your taking someone's job!

Good luck in whatever you choose, just remember it's your life and it will be what you look back on when your older!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending