The Student Room Group

Mature learner worries

I'm 43, still don't know if I've made the right decision. It's a now or never situation for me as I'm stuck in a job that I hate and didnt get the chance to do this when I was younger.
I presume most people of my age are doing post graduate degrees, or would I be wrong in presuming this ?
Reply 1
Go for it. You’ve got 22 more years until you retire (that’s if the retirement age stays the same...) - can you imagine doing the job you do now for the next two decades? Why not spend the next few years studying and enjoy the rest of your working life doing something you love.
Out of interest, what is it you’re wanting to do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by denideth
Go for it. You’ve got 22 more years until you retire (that’s if the retirement age stays the same...) - can you imagine doing the job you do now for the next two decades? Why not take the next few years studying and spend the rest of your working life doing something you love.
Out of interest, what is it you’re wanting to do?

I'm doing English with Linguistics, hopefully it will enable me to make a radical change to my career and pursue something I'm actually interested in.
Original post by Chrisg2020
I'm doing English with Linguistics, hopefully it will enable me to make a radical change to my career and pursue something I'm actually interested in.

Whats your current career if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to switch out of accountancy.
I started uni at 18, and made a solid group of 3 friends who I still talk to 11 years later. One of those ladies was 49 when we started.
There was a reasonable mix of ages with lots of people in their 20s (you can often not really tell the difference between those and the younger ones but there is definitely usually a mix) and then about 15 matures over 40.

Even masters courses can be finished by the age of 22 if you go at the 'traditional' time so it's not to say that those courses would be filled with people your age either.

But it doesn't matter. You'll make friends with so many different people of different ages and you'll have a great time :smile:.
Reply 5

That sounds great. It's a degree that leaves you with a lot of options as well and it sounds like you'd really enjoy it. Studying as an adult is a lot different from being fresh out of school, I've no doubt you'll do well. I'd say go for it - I'm a bit younger than you and just finished an Access course this year, I can't tell you how weird (but good!) it was to feel the cogs in my head turning again. You'd kick yourself when you're older if you didn't do a degree now when you had the chance. Uni isn't just full of 18 year olds - there are plenty of older students looking for and working towards a new direction in life. If you're going to a physical Uni rather than distance learning, have you checked out what societies there are? I recently discovered mine has a Mature Students society! I think you'll be absolutely fine - we're all here to offer support and advice as well because we're all going through the same thing.
I'm 43, still don't know if I've made the right decision. It's a now or never situation for me as I'm stuck in a job that I hate and didnt get the chance to do this when I was younger.
I presume most people of my age are doing post graduate degrees, or would I be wrong in presuming this ?

Not sure what the problem is?

Loads of people study at an older age, its just a set of skills to be learnt, then applied. It helps if you have average ability plus, but hard work and basic skills can get you a long way.

As a 43 year old you have different strengths than an 18 year old, but you do have strengths, so dont go in there doubting, believe in in yourself and be honest about it. Pull your weight and you should be fine.

Plenty of people are in your situation, even mopre are stuck in jobs they dont like but never make the break to cvhange things, which you have.

Start planning out a task list of what you need to do to improve your chances of success.
Money and time management are two, learning new study skills and organisation are others.
I'm 44 and I have just completed a BEng (also a complete career change, and also a "now or never" moment). It's understandable to doubt your decision and to worry that you might stand out for being "old", but honestly, there is no need to worry.

The next oldest student on my course was about 25, but we shared some lectures with people studying related courses, and some were in their 30s/40s. Chances are you will find someone of similar age on your course but if not, younger people will be more than happy to talk to/be friends with you, and as already mentioned your uni might have a Mature Student Society too, so you can meet people from other courses.

I'm going back to do an MSc in October, so I'll report back on the age range when I start!

Hi, I’m in a very similar situation to you. I’m 44 and have been in a job I hate for years. It’s kind of ‘now or never’ for me too. I’m starting an Access to science course in September and hopefully into uni next year to study nutrition and dietetics.
The way I look at it is I’ll be 48 when I finish so will still have at least 20 years of working life, so I’d rather do something I’m passionate about. There seems to be quite a few mature students at uni going by this forum and education is for everyone, not just the young!
Good luck with everything
Hi I'm 33 and now coming to the end of my 3 year degree, I study online with Arden University and I would say its definitely worth doing. I had family young so i missed out on going to university at 18/19, but I'm actually so glad I did it this way round later at my age as I feel I have so much more wisdom now to pick the right degree, as I've heard of so many people who have said they made the wrong decision when they were younger. Also I believe my maturity I have the full incentive now to work hard and achieve the good grades, I have a family to provide for and I want them to be proud of me which is all the incentive I need. If your looking at online courses they are brilliant as you can work from home around your family and still work full time or part time if you wish, so much more flexible. Arden university courses are very flexible you can study at a part time rate or full time rate , the tutors are great too, all the work is very self explanatory, best of luck :smile:
Reply 10

Hi, I'm 44 and in the same boat as you! I've got two weeks to decide if I'm going to enroll on the distance learning course (Health Professionals through learndirect) to progress onto Uni next September to train as a Paramedic which I've thought about for so long but never been in the situation to do it. I'm considering the online route as I still need to be pretty flexible for work and conventional college will take up 3 full days a week. And I have an 8 Yr old! Obviously I won't have the support from study buddies at college but I'm hoping I'll have enough support on here 😬 and more importantly through my personal online tutor! I haven't studied for 20 yrs!! Proper anxious Annie over here 👋 What is it you're hoping to do?
Reply 11
Original post by joanneg76
Hi, I’m in a very similar situation to you. I’m 44 and have been in a job I hate for years. It’s kind of ‘now or never’ for me too. I’m starting an Access to science course in September and hopefully into uni next year to study nutrition and dietetics.
The way I look at it is I’ll be 48 when I finish so will still have at least 20 years of working life, so I’d rather do something I’m passionate about. There seems to be quite a few mature students at uni going by this forum and education is for everyone, not just the young!
Good luck with everything

Hi, are you doing your course through your local college or a distance learning provider? I'd love to go to college but I can't afford to take 3 full days out of the working week (I'm a single mum) will you be working as well as your access course? It's most definitely 'now or never' for me. If I don't do it I know I'll regret it!
Original post by Laura76
Hi, are you doing your course through your local college or a distance learning provider? I'd love to go to college but I can't afford to take 3 full days out of the working week (I'm a single mum) will you be working as well as your access course? It's most definitely 'now or never' for me. If I don't do it I know I'll regret it!

Hi, I feel the same. I will regret this if I don’t give it a shot now!
I’m going to my local college for the year access course. It’s about 13 hours a week spread over 2 or 3 days. For the degree I want to do, I’ll need to go further afield to London so an hour and a half commute each way.
My children are older at 18 and 15. I remember looking into this when they were younger and I was too daunted with the logistics of it all. Also, I am really lucky that I have been able to quit my job to concentrate on this for a few years. We’re in a better position financially than we were when I considered this previously, plus I’m going to take every loan going to fund the courses and my travel!
I am hoping I can find something part time to fit in once I know what days I’ll be in college.
I hope you manage to work out the best solution for you to study and juggle everything!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, check out other colleges around the area. There are about 4 within 10-15 miles of me and I had to pick the furthest one because they offer evening Access courses (2 evenings a week of 4 hours each) / either way it can be a child care issue. Otherwise I would put a degree on the back burner for a few years, or try distance learning. It’s never too late..I’m 50 and my kids are teenagers. 😅Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending