penduin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I may or may not be going to Scotland for my sixth form education and I currently have no idea what anything means on the Forth Valley website (the school closest to my house).

Can someone tell me the Scottish equivalent to a sixth form education? I've heard it's called Highers. All I see on the page is HNC and HND and NQ/NC.

If someone could just break everything down along with a few important requirements I would appreciate it. I've gotten a headache opening several websites. I just want to know the Scottish equivalents of a sixth form. I recently completed year 11.
Last edited by penduin; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by penduin)
So I may or may not be going to Scotland for my sixth form education and I currently have no idea what anything means on the Forth Valley website (the school closest to my house).

Can someone tell me the Scottish equivalent to a sixth form education? I've heard it's called Highers. All I see on the page is HNC and HND and NQ/NC.

If someone could just break everything down along with a few important requirements I would appreciate it. I've gotten a headache opening several websites. I just want to know the Scottish equivalents of a sixth form. I recently completed year 11.
:wavey:

So, in Scotland, we don't have sixth forms - you do 7 years or primary school (P1-7) and then when you're 11/12 you go on to do 6 years of secondary school (S1-6) - albeit, you can leave once you're 16. Forth Valley College is a Further Education college, so where you'd go after you leave school.

Since you've just completed your GCSEs, the logical step would be for you to go into S5 at a secondary school. I can help point you in the direction to find schools in your area - do you know which local authority you will be moving to? If you've performed well in your GCSEs, I'd expect you'd be wanting to do 5 Highers in S5 (unlike A levels, they're a one year course so you'll sit the exams for these in May 2021). You can however do a mixture of highers and National 5s (similar to GCSEs) if you need - the system here is a lot more flexible than in England!
Schools here have just went back this week, so there might be a bit of catch up to do, but if you're willing to do it, it should be fine
penduin
Rep:
?
S5= year 12?
Looks like I'll be going back to secondary school? Bummer haha

Not yet sure where I'm going to be staying, so I can't get back to you on the local authority. I'll ask the family member I'll be moving in with though.
So if I enroll this year basically, I'll do my final exams again in May right? Is uni next?

Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
S5= year 12?
Looks like I'll be going back to secondary school? Bummer haha

Not yet sure where I'm going to be staying, so I can't get back to you on the local authority. I'll ask the family member I'll be moving in with though.
So if I enroll this year basically, I'll do my final exams again in May right? Is uni next?

Thanks for your help!
Yep, S5 is Scotland's version of year 12. The main difference is that Highers are the main qualification needed for getting into uni. After S5 comes S6, where you can do more Highers, some Advanced Highers, or a mixture. Advanced Highers are only really needed if you either want to do subjects like vet med/medicine, or if you want to study at a uni in England.

And yes, exam season 2021 starts on 26th April and runs through May One good thing is you'll have far fewer exams than you would have had doing GCSEs/ A levels!
penduin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Yep, S5 is Scotland's version of year 12. The main difference is that Highers are the main qualification needed for getting into uni. After S5 comes S6, where you can do more Highers, some Advanced Highers, or a mixture. Advanced Highers are only really needed if you either want to do subjects like vet med/medicine, or if you want to study at a uni in England.

And yes, exam season 2021 starts on 26th April and runs through May One good thing is you'll have far fewer exams than you would have had doing GCSEs/ A levels!
Thanks so much!
Looks like it's too late to apply to most Scottish schools now. Looks like they've all resumed. I appreciate your help and I'll keep look out for schools that still have open applications. Still don't know the area I'll be staying in though so that slows my research process.
Advertisement
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much!
Looks like it's too late to apply to most Scottish schools now. Looks like they've all resumed. I appreciate your help and I'll keep look out for schools that still have open applications. Still don't know the area I'll be staying in though so that slows my research process.
Yep, schools have started back, but getting into a school (at least state ones - I don't have a clue about private ones) isn't done the same as in England. You don't so much need to apply, and you can join at any point in the year. It works based on 'catchment areas' - each school has a geographic area that it covers, and your address will put you in the catchment area for certain schools. If you're living in the catchment area, you're entitled to a place*. If you want to attend a school where you are outwith the catchment area (usually if people do this it's to attend a better performing school), you'll need to put in a placing request to see if they have space.

* exception to this is for example where a faith school is oversubscribed - they may then need to prioritise students of that faith, so for example a Catholic school may need a baptismal certificate. We don't have grammar schools or academies in the same way England does (even though these words are in some school names, there's no actual difference!), so there's not admissions assessments that you need to take.
penduin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Yep, schools have started back, but getting into a school (at least state ones - I don't have a clue about private ones) isn't done the same as in England. You don't so much need to apply, and you can join at any point in the year. It works based on 'catchment areas' - each school has a geographic area that it covers, and your address will put you in the catchment area for certain schools. If you're living in the catchment area, you're entitled to a place*. If you want to attend a school where you are outwith the catchment area (usually if people do this it's to attend a better performing school), you'll need to put in a placing request to see if they have space.

* exception to this is for example where a faith school is oversubscribed - they may then need to prioritise students of that faith, so for example a Catholic school may need a baptismal certificate. We don't have grammar schools or academies in the same way England does (even though these words are in some school names, there's no actual difference!), so there's not admissions assessments that you need to take.
Scotland seems like such an easy place to adapt to, I'll inform my parents about easy school enrolment.
Thank you!
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads