Did David Cameron abandon the homeless when PM?

Watch
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Did David Cameron abandon the homeless when PM?
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any evidence to suggest he did?
iNeed2p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Homeless people abandon themselves. They can't blame anyone for their misfortune. you might not agree with me but, that's the hard truth.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To abandon them he'd (or any PM for that matter) have had to pay attention to them in the first place... With the policy of out of sight out of mind, well...
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of the features of the coalition government was that cuts in funding that Gideon Osbourne implemented were largely to agencies, local government, voluntary bodies, or anywhere where someone other than central government had to do the unpleasant tasks. Homeless support is largely voluntary bodies and local government.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunshinehss)
Do you have any evidence to suggest he did?
Well there is the small matter that homelessness has steadily risen since 2008 and the fact that the Food Bank was bearly a thing before 2010.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iNeed2p)
Homeless people abandon themselves. They can't blame anyone for their misfortune. you might not agree with me but, that's the hard truth.
No. But doesn't a caring society help the most vulnerable?

I find it so sad that the hard truth is offered to those who have the least in society whilst we worship the richest who generally pay the least back to our society yet benefit massively from it.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
No. But doesn't a caring society help the most vulnerable?

I find it so sad that the hard truth is offered to those who have the least in society whilst we worship the richest who generally pay the least back to our society yet benefit massively from it.
That is life mate. Million dollar question for the poor is, What are you gonna do about it?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is life mate. Million dollar question for the poor is, What are you gonna do about it?
I teach their kids with love and without prejudice whilst providing opportunities through the Duke of Edinburgh scheme. What are you doing about it?
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I teach their kids with love and without prejudice whilst providing opportunities through the Duke of Edinburgh scheme. What are you doing about it?
Hahaha, that is very kind of you but, i didn't mean the question for you. I meant for the poor people to ask themselves that question. So that they might get solution for their problems.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hahaha, that is very kind of you but, i didn't mean the question for you. I meant for the poor people to ask themselves that question. So that they might get solution for their problems.
I think the thing we (relatively well off) people who are used to having lots of options and choice don't appreciate is that when you are poor, you don't have options. This idea that if they only made the right choices doesn't exist. There are no choices to make. Life happens at you.

About a third of my pupils don't have access to the net. They have phones but they are not connected. So they don't have access to the online jobs market. Andvif they were fortunate enough to get an interview but needed £8 in bus fairs to get there but didn't have £8, the interview would not happen.

So walk, I here you say. Fine, but walking takes energy and if you are not eating properly that might not be an option either.

Judging the poor based on our own circumstances/ outlooks on life is the first mistake.
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Spoiler:
Show
I think the thing we (relatively well off) people who are used to having lots of options and choice don't appreciate is that when you are poor, you don't have options. This idea that if they only made the right choices doesn't exist. There are no choices to make. Life happens at you.

About a third of my pupils don't have access to the net. They have phones but they are not connected. So they don't have access to the online jobs market. Andvif they were fortunate enough to get an interview but needed £8 in bus fairs to get there but didn't have £8, the interview would not happen.

So walk, I here you say. Fine, but walking takes energy and if you are not eating properly that might not be an option either.

Judging the poor based on our own circumstances/ outlooks on life is the first mistake.
PRSOM // Nothing but facts were told
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

As much as i agree with you. Poor people does have plenty of options. But i wished they had some sort of self-discipline and money management and they would never be in poverty. I'm talking about those who're in poverty but, still live in first world countries and have the right to work. Those people have plenty of options and opportunities that the third world countries don't have.

About the jobs market, it was always tough to get a job especially this unprecedented time. You're right connection does help a lot but, if they do have phones and not connected to the internet. They can always hit the library.

If that job is going to end my misery and poverty, damn straight i would walk even if it's 100 miles away. Point is, they have to be desperate enough to get out of their situation rather than wanting people to pity them.
Last edited by iNeed2p; 1 month ago
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As much as i agree with you. Poor people does have plenty of options. But i wished they had some sort of self-discipline and money management and they would never be in poverty. I'm talking about those who're in poverty but, still live in first world countries and have the right to work. Those people have plenty of options and opportunities that the third world countries don't have.

If that job is going to end my misery and poverty, damn straight i would walk even if it's 100 miles away. Point is, they have to be desperate enough to get out of their situation rather than wanting people to pity them.
1. Could you give some examples of the multitude of options the poor have? If you don't have the internet, how can you take advantage of jobs straight onto the market? Also, you do know libraries aren't open at the moment? And if course many libraries have closed down thanks to Osborne an austerity. So what do you do?

2. You say the poor don't have discipline. I would say that living on a budget of less than £100 a week requires discipline. I bet you couldn't do it week in week out and look after a family. I think I would struggle.

3. Ok. So brave old you. You have spent 3 days walking to your interview 100 miles away and three days back, having left your kids to look after themselves. And bravo, you got the job. You start tomorrow. You have no money. How do you get to work and back until you are paid at the end of the month and who looks after your kids whilst you are working?
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 month ago
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. Could you give some examples of the multitude of options the poor have? If you don't have the internet, how can you take advantage of jobs straight onto the market? Also, you do know libraries aren't open at the moment? And if course many libraries have closed down thanks to Osborne an austerity. So what do you do?

2. You say the poor don't have discipline. I would say that living on a budget of less than £100 a week requires discipline. I bet you couldn't do it week in week out and look after a family. I think I would struggle.

3. Ok. So brave old you. You have spent 3 days walking to your interview 100 miles away and three days back, having left your kids to look after themselves. And bravo, you got the job. You start tomorrow. You have no money. How do you get to work and back until you are paid at the end of the month and who looks after your kids whilst you are working?
You’re missing the whole point. But let me enlighten you.

See, there is something called ‘laws of the universe’ I don’t know if you believe it. But I do believe one of them strongly and it is ‘ What you focus on expands’ ‘It gets bigger and bigger because you move towards’

So if the less fortunate people focus on how poor they are and complain rather than find solution for it and overcome. What are they focusing on? They focusing on complaining and whining. They focusing all the sh!t in their life and that makes them one giant sh!t magnet.

We live in a sh!t world where sh!t happens daily and most of us we’re 3 pay checks away from being poor. So they always have a choice. And the choices are either complain and whine about it or find solution for it and do something about it.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re missing the whole point. But let me enlighten you.

See, there is something called ‘laws of the universe’ I don’t know if you believe it. But I do believe one of them strongly and it is ‘ What you focus on expands’ ‘It gets bigger and bigger because you move towards’
Ha. I now see where you are at. Funnily enough my out of work sister-in-law believes in this clap trap too. It isn't working for her. Maybe she isn't focussing hard enough.

I don't think you understand poverty Im afriad. Perhaps I should introduce you to the families of some of my students.
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ha. I now see where you are at. Funnily enough my out of work sister-in-law believes in this clap trap too. It isn't working for her. Maybe she isn't focussing hard enough.

I don't think you understand poverty Im afriad. Perhaps I should introduce you to the families of some of my students.
Your sister-in-law she is going to do something about it and at-least she is not whining and complaining about it. She can see her goals and working on it. It's not her to blame she is out of work especially this pandemic. Like i said 'sh!t happens'.

All I’m saying is, if poor people want to get out poverty which they can as in first world country, they need to be tough. If they want to ameliorate all the negative things that is sounding them. They need to be intrepid towards their goals.

Cheers!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All I’m saying is, if poor people want to get out poverty which they can as in first world country, they need to be tough. If they want to ameliorate all the negative things that is sounding them. They need to be intrepid towards their goals.
Get rid of the negative energy? What is that? A new branch of physics? So how do the poor get out of poverty in this first world country.

No doubt the sort of books you read have a 10 point plan. So go on, please share you 10 things to get out of poverty and together we can ridbthe world of poverty.
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 month ago
iNeed2p
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get rid of the negative energy? What is that? A new branch of physics? So how do the poor get out of poverty in this first world country.

No doubt the sort of books you read have a 10 point plan. So go on, please share you 10 things to get out of poverty and together we can ridbthe world of poverty.
Have a blessed evening.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.51%
No (281)
78.49%

Watched Threads