S1M001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Will there be even more competition for 2021 entry as more people are taking gap years, resits and the current yr12 also applying?

I’m thinking about taking a gap year but I’m not the strongest applicant so I hope there won’t be too much competition.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by S1M001)
Will there be even more competition for 2021 entry as more people are taking gap years, resits and the current yr12 also applying?

I’m thinking about taking a gap year but I’m not the strongest applicant so I hope there won’t be too much competition.
Universities won’t have places capped for 2021 entry so they can increase space to match demand.
S1M001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Universities won’t have places capped for 2021 entry so they can increase space to match demand.
Thanks very much. A big relief!!!
LM_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys i was just wondering since so many year 13s missed their offers and are having them deferred while they do autumn exams Does this mean admissions for everyone else will be more competitive? Surely this will mean there are fewer places for current year 12s - Especially for the most competitive courses like medicine, law, oxbridge etc
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LM_)
Hi guys i was just wondering since so many year 13s missed their offers and are having them deferred while they do autumn exams Does this mean admissions for everyone else will be more competitive? Surely this will mean there are fewer places for current year 12s - Especially for the most competitive courses like medicine, law, oxbridge etc
No, this is probably the 10th time I said this on TSR but since EU students will be paying international fees (Brexit) it'll be less competitive for UK / home students.
salviakasana03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, this is probably the 10th time I said this on TSR but since EU students will be paying international fees (Brexit) it'll be less competitive for UK / home students.
And what about international students?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by salviakasana03)
And what about international students?
More competitive, sadly.

There may be a separate category for EU students, but if not then international students will be lumped with the EU students (but their numbers will definitely drop).
salviakasana03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
More competitive, sadly.

There may be a separate category for EU students, but if not then international students will be lumped with the EU students (but their numbers will definitely drop).
Yeah that’s what I feared
Mina Abdulkerim
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

hi there! are you saying that the number of international student will be low??
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wont be an issue for most students if at all.

More students ended up going to uni last year then normal, and the overall number of students in year 13 (this year & last year) is low compared to normal years so if anything for most courses it will be easier to get into uni.

The only exceptions may be medicine/veterinary and some Oxbridge college that had a surplus of candidates that got in due to CAGs and now have a few less spots then last year. (to combat this some colleges & unis are for 1 or 2 years taking slightly larger cohorts so no one is disadvantaged).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
...The only exceptions may be medicine/veterinary and some Oxbridge college that had a surplus of candidates that got in due to CAGs and now have a few less spots then last year. (to combat this some colleges & unis are for 1 or 2 years taking slightly larger cohorts so no one is disadvantaged).
Agree with everything you said.

OP I am wearing medicine-tinted specs because I am looking at this from a med point of view.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Mina Abdulkerim)
hi there! are you saying that the number of international student will be low??
International student numbers are predicted to decrease making it easier for them to get in as unis want that international £££.
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
International student numbers are predicted to decrease making it easier for them to get in as unis want that international £££.
am an international student? is My chance normal as previous one or am gonna be the lucky?
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I wonder how many (if any) universities will have kicked the bucket before the start of the next academic year. The country could do with a clear out.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Mina Abdulkerim)
am an international student? is My chance normal as previous one or am gonna be the lucky?
More then likely your chances of admission will be very similar to previous years, perhaps even ever so slightly easier (if their are less international applicants) their is more hysteria about it then their needs to be.
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
More then likely your chances of admission will be very similar to previous years, perhaps even ever so slightly easier (if their are less international applicants) their is more hysteria about it then their needs to be.
Good to hear.
Mina Abdulkerim
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you have an assumption or guess for predicting the numbers of international students for 2021?
Faxstudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
More competitive, sadly.

You mean the number of internationals will drop or the number of EU applicants will drop?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Faxstudent)
You mean the number of internationals will drop or the number of EU applicants will drop?
EU, since that is the intention of Brexit
Faxstudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
EU, since that is the intention of Brexit
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (81)
38.21%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
10.85%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
7.08%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.06%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.55%

Watched Threads