The Student Room Group

University assignment grades

Hi, I'd like some advice please.
The highest grades I got in my assignments were in the mid 50s. I would like to achieve a first class of atleast 70%.

How can I do this?
What do they mean by critically evaluating/critically discuss?

Thank you so much
Original post by Anonymous
The highest grades I got in my assignments were in the mid 50s. I would like to achieve a first class of atleast 70%.

How can I do this?

Thank you so much

Hi!
Without knowing the year that you're in, or the course you're doing, I can't offer any specific advice at the moment. Are these assignments practical-based, are they paper-based, are they essays/posters/presentations etc?

From my point of view (from a science course perspective) the whole "critically evaluate" criteria did allude me for a while as well. I think the key to it is to first of all understand the various opinions/points of view/interpretations of results, then to be able to succinctly summarise them and importantly- make a judgement on which one you believe to be more convincing. But not only that, you'll want to have a sufficient grasp of the concepts/ideas to be able to suggest your own as well.

Using a scientific example: Say we've got the recently identified novel "Protein X". Group 1 suggests "Protein X" does function A. Group 2 suggests "Protein X" does function B. You might summarise what each group has done, their experimental methods, how they've interpreted the results and what conclusion they've reached. To critically evaluate you'll want to understand the limitations of each group's research, you might side with either group, or you might decide that "Protein X" could have a role in function C, as highlighted by a completely different paper that you've come across in your own time. You would then decide what could be done to demonstrate that "Protein X" has a role in function C, or the role that "Protein X" might have to your specific field in the future.

Again, that's quite a specific example really meant for a science degree which leans heavily on primary research.

Bw,
(edited 3 years ago)

How can I do this?

Thank you so much

It must be frustrating for you and its good you are looking to improve your marks. Seek advice from the teachers. If that is too daunting, ask fellow students to show you their assignments and compare their work to your own to see how they structured the answer.

How can I do this?

Thank you so much

Hello Anonymous,

It is nice to hear you are seeking a way to improve your grades to better yourself.

I have just recently graduated with a high first-class Hons from a humanities subject, so I often had to critically evaluate/discuss. I will not repeat the advise that was already given to you, as I believe it was very well outlined on what critical evaluation is in its core.

If you study a humanities subject, one thing that I believe is very important to get high marks is to read a lot about the topic you have to evaluate or write an essay about. For example, I normally would have had for a 2,000 words essay anywhere in-between 14-20 (relevant) sources in the reference list. Obviously, you must show clearly that you understand what is their arguments are and then make a framed argument of your own. It is not necessary that you 'take one side or the other', you can have a neutral view about things. But again, when you bring something new to the topic, that is when you start scoring high marks.
You can search on Youtube for people, such as Rosie Crawford who illustrate on how to manage a large number of sources in your essay (see the 'HOW I RESEARCH, PLAN & WRITE ESSAYS IN 3 DAYS' video).

Another thing that is very important that you make use of primary sources/ data. Having a good argument is great, but without convincing evidence, it will not take you very far. Lecturers are often impressed if they see sources that are not in the suggested reading list, showing that you made the effort to do your independent research. Do not be afraid to ask your university library for access to sources, you normally would not have. The inter-library loans are seriously underused by students, and they are a great resource.

You also have to ace basic things such as attending to lectures and engaging in seminars and also things having to do with formatting, such as choosing a consistent letter type, arranging images so that they are visually attractive, clear and complete references etc.

I hope this advice was helpful and good luck.-K
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest