The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What is Sheffield uni like? What are the student body like?

Its my firm insurance now, I missed the grade for Exeter. Im rly excited for Sheffield but tbh have not done much research into it. I kno Exeter students are kinda meant to be white middle class, maybe posh (which i wasnt over the moon about) but what are Sheffield students end up being like? And their law students...?
I know its hard but i wouldnt judge the people based on the uni they go to as i imagine there are lots of nice people that are the exceptions. Anyone from Sheffield are quite outgoing friendly and easy to talk to. I went to an open day at the other uni (SHU). They were all very nice people

Hope this helps
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I’m going to Sheff too:smile: I’d also like to know more about it as it wasn’t my planned uni either!
Sheffield is a good mix of people, there isn't really any particular overwhelming majority. It would be unusual to be in a friend group where everyone or nearly everyone was white, let alone white middle class/posh. There are some cliques but these tend to be nationality based rather than class based, though even then they're regularly broken, and the only notable one is Chinese students due to the sheer number of them.

As above, people in Sheffield are very friendly, and the university community is very close knit as a result of the SU and student villages.

The Law cohorts are ~300+ students so it's unlikely that you wouldn't be able to find a friend group within the cohort, and I knew a good number of people from working class/minority backgrounds on the law course when I was at Sheffield.
Everyone is really lovely and so friendly! My sister went to exeter and I go to sheffield, I much prefer the people in sheffield if that's any help!
Original post by Anonymous
Its my firm insurance now, I missed the grade for Exeter. Im rly excited for Sheffield but tbh have not done much research into it. I kno Exeter students are kinda meant to be white middle class, maybe posh (which i wasnt over the moon about) but what are Sheffield students end up being like? And their law students...?

Hi! Congratulations on your place at Sheffield!

I'm currently in my 2nd year and have loved every minute of living in Sheffield. The locals are really friendly and I feel completely safe walking around on my own, even at night. I would strongly recommend joining societies, sports teams or music ensembles + whatever else interests you as this will make you feel really at home!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield and I would be happy to answer :smile:

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus

Missed my offer for law at Exeter too and was given a place at Sheffield. Now that CAGS are being used, my offer will stand at Exeter. No idea which University to go to now, are you in the same position?
Reply 7
Missed my offer for law at Exeter too and was given a place at Sheffield. Now that CAGS are being used, my offer will stand at Exeter. No idea which University to go to now, are you in the same position?

Yes! Exactly the same position. But I'm actually really preferring Sheffield now. As a city its way more exciting, more connected to rest of country. Things are cheaper, people friendlier. Also Sheffield is a top 100 world leading university whereas Exeter is not (more in 100-150 category). Sheffield is more internationally recognised. Also was in Russel Group longer than Exeter. It has the most non Oxbridge Supreme judges than any other russel group. So yeh hope that helps.
Reply 8
Missed my offer for law at Exeter too and was given a place at Sheffield. Now that CAGS are being used, my offer will stand at Exeter. No idea which University to go to now, are you in the same position?my

My Exeter offer was AAB, on result's day I got ABB, which was what Sheffield was asking for. Now I have AAA. What was your story? x

Hi!
Current student here from the University of Sheffield. I'm in my final year right now so these 3 years I've been here, it's been pretty good here in Sheffield. Sheffield is considerably cheaper than other cities in terms of rent, living expenses etc. It also has a good night life and student life since it's basically a student city. Academically, you'll have plenty of external projects or other things to be involved with to enhance your skills. The Students' Union has over 300 societies so if you're looking to join any society or have any hobbies/ interests, I'm sure you'll find one. This is in addition to the 51 sports societies that are already here along with sports facilities for almost every sport. So yeah, from my experiences, Sheffield is a really friendly and nice city and the University supports its students a lot in every aspect.

-Sanchari
4th Year MEng Materials Science and Engineering
My Exeter offer was AAB, on result's day I got ABB, which was what Sheffield was asking for. Now I have AAA. What was your story? x

Literally the same, got ABB on the 13th so missing the offer of AAB. Now I have AAA* and waiting for Exeter to email students with the offers, which I think i’m going to take. You still set on Sheffield? Was a pretty difficult decision. X
Sheffield is MUCH cheaper than Exeter in terms of rent. Student houses in Sheffield can be as little as £80 a week, where-as in Exeter you’re looking at more like £130 a week minimum. Having said that, Exeter is a really lovely place to live and study (my sister did) and I did feel safer in Exeter than I do in Sheffield but that’s just because Sheffield is much more of a city than Exeter, Exeter’s more like just a big village😂 As far as actual cities go, i feel safer in Sheffield than elsewhere. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice if you’re choosing between Sheffield and Exeter tbh, they’re both so nice!
Original post by Sophie.cerys
Sheffield is MUCH cheaper than Exeter in terms of rent. Student houses in Sheffield can be as little as £80 a week, where-as in Exeter you’re looking at more like £130 a week minimum. Having said that, Exeter is a really lovely place to live and study (my sister did) and I did feel safer in Exeter than I do in Sheffield but that’s just because Sheffield is much more of a city than Exeter, Exeter’s more like just a big village😂 As far as actual cities go, i feel safer in Sheffield than elsewhere. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice if you’re choosing between Sheffield and Exeter tbh, they’re both so nice!

Haha thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending