The Student Room Group

Moving in with boyfriend

I have a boyfriend who lives 100 miles or about 3 hours away by train.
Up to now we have seen each other roughly every fortnight for a few days at a time.
I am back at work full-time next month, and my boyfriend is unemployed atm.

We have decided we want to move in together in order to stop having to travel each time and to see more of each other.

He wants to move back to the city I live in, he used to live here.

I currently rent a very small studio, it wouldn't be possible for us to both live there full-time.

He would first need to find a job, however he doesn't have the money to pay rental costs for the moment, and would like to find a job back at home first, earn some money and then be able to pay the deposit/first month of rent with me if we were to get a place together.

I'm trying to think of other solutions. My current tenancy runs out this month, i've told them i'm staying but I have not received a new agreement so in theory I can just give notice and leave.

I can't afford to pay the deposit and first month of rent for a new place by myself.

Any ideas as to what we could do here ? Ideally he would be able to stay at mine for a few weeks and find a job that way, or have a job lined up before he moves here.

I think we are both getting stressed thinking about it. Would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a boyfriend who lives 100 miles or about 3 hours away by train.
Up to now we have seen each other roughly every fortnight for a few days at a time.
I am back at work full-time next month, and my boyfriend is unemployed atm.

We have decided we want to move in together in order to stop having to travel each time and to see more of each other.

He wants to move back to the city I live in, he used to live here.

I currently rent a very small studio, it wouldn't be possible for us to both live there full-time.

He would first need to find a job, however he doesn't have the money to pay rental costs for the moment, and would like to find a job back at home first, earn some money and then be able to pay the deposit/first month of rent with me if we were to get a place together.

I'm trying to think of other solutions. My current tenancy runs out this month, i've told them i'm staying but I have not received a new agreement so in theory I can just give notice and leave.

I can't afford to pay the deposit and first month of rent for a new place by myself.

Any ideas as to what we could do here ? Ideally he would be able to stay at mine for a few weeks and find a job that way, or have a job lined up before he moves here.

I think we are both getting stressed thinking about it. Would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.

staying with you for a few weeks whilst looking for a job is possibly your best option, as finding a job from 3 hours away when he hadn't been in a current job long would be quite challenging.
Reply 2
Thank you that's a good idea. I'd also be happy to move closer to him if he didn't manage to find something here, but I think he would rather come back to this city.

If I had my own one-bed flat or whatever i'd just let him move in with me no problem, but yeah I can only have him stay for a few weeks.

I'll suggest the idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending