The Student Room Group

St Georges University

I know you're all probs thinking.. 'omgz, not another thread like this again' but I'm actually serious.

For my GCSE's, I got 7A's and 6B's. For my AS's, I done quite bad, but planning on retaking and applying for 2010 anyway..

But what I wanted to know was.. St. Georges is one of them uni's that place so much emphasis on GCSE grades. And they have stated that they want 416 points from top 8 subjects including maths, english and science and that's the minimum. The number of points that I get from my top 8 subjects is technically 410, but because I got B's for English Lit/Lang [I think they only require one], my points score is 404. Anyway, either way, I haven't met their requirement.

Do you therefore think that it's a waste of a place and I should not apply at all? I was thinking of calling them tomorrow or something or emailing them. Any replies would be greatly appreciated..
Reply 1
wideawake
Doubt you would get past the initial screening of applications if you don't meet the minimum academic criteria which you don't from what you've said. Therefore it would almost certainly be a waste of an application. If you went to a seriously underperforming school it might make a difference but otherwise I'd say you risk an automatic rejection if you apply to them.

Yeah you're right. *sigh* :sad:

I never initially wanted to go to St. Georges. I first wanted to make King's my firm and Barts my insurance. But I fell in love with St. Georges. Just their stupid GCSE requirements is putting me off.
Reply 2
Urgh. I absolutly hate GCSE requirements. But I guess they have to be putn in place but sometimes they are ridiculous if your A levels show you are capable yet you don't get accepted due to GCSE's.
Reply 3
Malsi101
Urgh. I absolutly hate GCSE requirements. But I guess they have to be putn in place but sometimes they are ridiculous if your A levels show you are capable yet you don't get accepted due to GCSE's.

Hmm yeah and the thing is, most universities just state that they want minimum B's. But St. Georges want an average of A in your top 8 subjects including english, maths and science. :mad:

Hmm, I'm gonna call them and see anyway just incase they make exceptions or something. If not, then it's bye bye St. Georges lol, which isn't exactly the end of the world, so don't really mind.
Reply 4
That's just asking for too much. I hate that!...:console: Yeah you're right it's not! But Good Luck:smile:
Reply 5
Faiza.
Hmm yeah and the thing is, most universities just state that they want minimum B's. But St. Georges want an average of A in your top 8 subjects including english, maths and science. :mad:

Hmm, I'm gonna call them and see anyway just incase they make exceptions or something. If not, then it's bye bye St. Georges lol, which isn't exactly the end of the world, so don't really mind.

Just out of interest; what was your schools A* - C rate? If you don't mind me asking...

I suspect that's something they might take into account. I believe (although your e-mail will confirm this) they consider applicants who just missed out depending on various factors, such as above.

However, I do agree. St. Georges is a pretty awesome Uni (and seriously underrated). It was my insurance, and a part of me was secretly a little sad when I didn't get to go there, however silly (and possible pretentious?) that sounds.
Reply 6
Tyraell
Just out of interest; what was your schools A* - C rate? If you don't mind me asking...

I suspect that's something they might take into account. I believe (although your e-mail will confirm this) they consider applicants who just missed out depending on various factors, such as above.

However, I do agree. St. Georges is a darn awesome Uni (and seriously underrated). It was my insurance, and a part of me was secretly a little sad when I didn't get to go there.

I think it was 40% A*-C during 2007, not 100% sure though.

Hmm, hopefully.

Yeah that's the thing I don't understand, why is it so underrated? :s-smilie:

Aww :console: Where did you go to eventually?
Reply 7
Faiza.
I think it was 40% A*-C during 2007, not 100% sure though.

Hmm, hopefully.

Yeah that's the thing I don't understand, why is it so underrated? :s-smilie:

Aww :console: Where did you go to eventually?

That sounds quite low, to be honest. Is that including the core subjects, because if it's not then it will probably be significantly lower. But if you include your school in the e-mail they might be able to give more info.

Thanks for the pity. I think I would have fallen in love with whichever med school I ended up at - they all appealed to different 'parts' of me.

As it turns out, I'm going to *coughsplutteroxfordcough*.
Reply 8
Tyraell
That sounds quite low, to be honest. Is that including the core subjects, because if it's not then it will probably be significantly lower. But if you include your school in the e-mail they might be able to give more info.

Thanks for the pity. I think I would have fallen in love with whichever med school I ended up at - they all appealed to different 'parts' of me.

As it turns out, I'm going to *coughsplutteroxfordcough*.

Hmm not sure tbh. But I thought that your school had to do very bad like 20% or something, for them to take that into consideration? :confused:

Ha. I know what you mean. I mean I wouldn't mind which uni I'm at as long as it's a london one. But then with Barts, it's like the area is not nice at all. :no:

Oxford? :eek: Clever bum. It didn't really matter at the end then, did it? You got into a better uni :yep: Unless, you wanted to make St Georges your firm.. which I doubt you would if you applied to Oxford :p:
Reply 9
Faiza.
Hmm not sure tbh. But I thought that your school had to do very bad like 20% or something, for them to take that into consideration? :confused:

Ha. I know what you mean. I mean I wouldn't mind which uni I'm at as long as it's a london one. But then with Barts, it's like the area is not nice at all. :no:

Oxford? :eek: Clever bum. It didn't really matter at the end then, did it? You got into a better uni :yep: Unless, you wanted to make St Georges your firm.. which I doubt you would if you applied to Oxford :p:

I suspect Georgies will be able to give you more information than we can - but I suppose you would have been aware if your school was failing. People can always hope!

I'm still convinced I was the lucky/ pity accept, but we shall see. :p: If I'm frank, I seriously considered firming Imperial instead of Oxford. Like I said, all the places I applied appealed in different ways. The atmosphere at Georgies was unlike any of the other place I saw though and I would have been more than thrilled to go there! ^^

Oh yeah, in response to your previous comment: I suspect part of the reason Georgies is underated is because it's only healthcare allied fields. Hence, not many people have heard of it.
Reply 10
Tyraell
I suspect Georgies will be able to give you more information than we can - but I suppose you would have been aware if your school was failing. People can always hope!

I'm still convinced I was the lucky/ pity accept, but we shall see. :p: If I'm frank, I seriously considered firming Imperial instead of Oxford. Like I said, all the places I applied appealed in different ways. The atmosphere at Georgies was unlike any of the other place I saw though and I would have been more than thrilled to go there! ^^

Oh yeah, in response to your previous comment: I suspect part of the reason Georgies is underated is because it's only healthcare allied fields. Hence, not many people have heard of it.

Hmm true. I just hoped someone could gimme a general response, however harsh it may be :p:

Ha. From what I heard, Oxbridge are too harsh, so I doubt they'd show pity :p:
Really? Imperial was like my first ever medical choice. But after I got my GCSE's and then deciding that I didn't wanna do the BMAT, hence not apply to any BMAT universities, it was outta my list. But even if I had the grades and was super smart, I would not apply to Oxbridge. It may be like alot of people's dreams, but dunno, it just doesn't appeal to me. :no:

Oh okay. Thanks for all the help btw :biggrin: Much appreciated x
Reply 11
Faiza.
Hmm true. I just hoped someone could gimme a general response, however harsh it may be :p:

Ha. From what I heard, Oxbridge are too harsh, so I doubt they'd show pity :p:
Really? Imperial was like my first ever medical choice. But after I got my GCSE's and then deciding that I didn't wanna do the BMAT, hence not apply to any BMAT universities, it was outta my list. But even if I had the grades and was super smart, I would not apply to Oxbridge. It may be like alot of people's dreams, but dunno, it just doesn't appeal to me. :no:

Oh okay. Thanks for all the help btw :biggrin: Much appreciated x

No problem for the help (did I give any?) I was just enjoying the chat. :biggrin:

I think you'll love whichever uni you end up at! Your GCSE's won't give you the easiest ride, but it's not the end of the world.

And I kinda know what you mean about the Oxbridge thing. There are parts of it that I suspect I'm not going to like, but it's not really an opportunity I could pass up (or that people would let me!).
Reply 12
Tyraell
No problem for the help (did I give any?) I was just enjoying the chat. :biggrin:

I think you'll love whichever uni you end up at! Your GCSE's won't give you the easiest ride, but it's not the end of the world.

And I kinda know what you mean about the Oxbridge thing. There are parts of it that I suspect I'm not going to like, but it's not really an opportunity I could pass up (or that people would let me!).

Ha. Yeah you did. I was enjoying the chat too :yep: :biggrin:

Hmm, yeah, my GCSE's arn't exactly perfect for medicine, but what can I do?
Hmm yeah that's how it's like for most people tbh. They don't wanna pass up the opportunity, since it's considered 'the opportunity of a lifetime', but I've known people to hate it and regret going to cambridge. I guess different uni's appeal to different people for different reasons.
Why not retake them? Shouldn't be too much harm alonside your A-Levels?
Reply 14
im so academic
Why not retake them? Shouldn't be too much harm alonside your A-Levels?

Why would I wanna retake my GCSE's?
To achieve the GCSE entry requirements in order to get in.
Surely they would see that you've retaken them and therefore would want to know why you've retaken them?

I would apply to St Georges if I met the GCSE requirements lol, not sure if it would be different for me now as I actually have my grades though
Reply 17
im so academic
To achieve the GCSE entry requirements in order to get in.

Don't they only allow you to retake GCSE english and maths & some cases science, if you haven't got a C or above? I think that's how most colleges operate. I got B's for English Lit/Lang & biology & A's for maths, chemistry and physics, so don't see why I should retake them :s-smilie:

And all the other subjects are not up for retakes anyway as far as I'm aware.
Reply 18
FFCrusader
Surely they would see that you've retaken them and therefore would want to know why you've retaken them?

I would apply to St Georges if I met the GCSE requirements lol, not sure if it would be different for me now as I actually have my grades though

Yeah they would. & there's no point anyway, seeing as I didn't exactly fail.

Hmm, yeh GCSE requirements are tres annoying. That's why I always tell people doing their GCSE's, 'make sure you get them A*'s cos it'll be worth it in the end'

Latest

Trending

Trending