The Student Room Group

Universities for Economics?

I am going to apply for an economics degree/major for undergrad and considering an MBA afterwards, but I'm undecided between UK and US universities for undergraduate.

I am going to apply to these universities:
Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Princeton
Cambridge
LSE
And other UK ones, e.g. UCL, Warwick, but not too interested in these.

However I have also looked into University of Pennsylvania and Yale, are these worth considering?

Can anyone help me to decide which university I should 'prioritise' (which are the best in terms of content, employability, reputation, etc.), and help me form a list of universities in order of preference?
Reply 1
Original post by Li_M
I am going to apply for an economics degree/major for undergrad and considering an MBA afterwards, but I'm undecided between UK and US universities for undergraduate.

I am going to apply to these universities:
Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Princeton
Cambridge
LSE
And other UK ones, e.g. UCL, Warwick, but not too interested in these.

However I have also looked into University of Pennsylvania and Yale, are these worth considering?

Can anyone help me to decide which university I should 'prioritise' (which are the best in terms of content, employability, reputation, etc.), and help me form a list of universities in order of preference?

A great list. But a few things to consider to help you shortlist. All of those universities you have listed are top rated - and as you probbaly know , are classed as some of the best in the world.

That's great. But it does bring some other coniderations and hurdles. And it may be these are all fine with you. But you do need to bear them in mind.

Firstly - any of these universities listed are ferociously competitive in terms of securing an offer and an actual place. Most of them requiring you to take one or several face-to- face interviews, sit prelim tests and exams, submit other work, as well as meet their predicted grade requirements.

Then they will all be very strict on meeting their grade entry requirements There will usually be no lenianacy offered if you narrowliy miss.

Thirdly is the increased costs. On the face of it, all universities tuition is the same cost (especially in the UK). But often the top universities (like the ones you have listed) end up being indirectly more expensive. Some of the 'extra curricluar' activities and opportunities are often a bit more expensive to participate in. The neighbourhoods surrounding them are more expensive to live in, than your typical uni.

And finally, these universities have a very different 'culture' to your typical university. I know that doesn't mean much here, but do as much research online that you can (forums, videos, etc, from real students) and make as many real visits as you can, and get a good feel for the 'personality' of the university, and ask yourself very honestly if it 'feels' right for you

That being said - these universities you have listed attract the best teachers, professors and academics They are usually the best resourced. They are the most respected in terms of their research. And are considered the best places to learn in the world. But they may not be the best for evey student that is drawn to them. So do your research.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MGrogan
A great list. But a few things to consider to help you shortlist. All of those universities you have listed are top rated - and as you probbaly know , are classed as some of the best in the world.

That's great. But it does bring some other coniderations and hurdles. And it may be these are all fine with you. But you do need to bear them in mind.

Firstly - any of these universities listed are ferociously competitive in terms of securing an offer and an actual place. Most of them requiring you to take one or several face-to- face interviews, sit prelim tests and exams, submit other work, as well as meet their predicted grade requirements.

Then they will all be very strict on meeting their grade entry requirements There will usually be no lenianacy offered if you narrowliy miss.

Thirdly is the increased costs. On the face of it, all universities tuition is the same cost (especially in the UK). But often the top universities (like the ones you have listed) end up being indirectly more expensive. Some of the 'extra curricluar' activities and opportunities are often a bit more expensive to participate in. The neighbourhoods surrounding them are more expensive to live in, than your typical uni.

And finally, these universities have a very different 'culture' to your typical university. I know that doesn't mean much here, but do as much research online that you can (forums, videos, etc, from real students) and make as many real visits as you can, and get a good feel for the 'personality' of the university, and ask yourself very honestly if it 'feels' right for you

That being said - these universities you have listed attract the best teachers, professors and academics They are usually the best resourced. They are the most respected in terms of their research. And are considered the best places to learn in the world. But they may not be the best for evey student that is drawn to them. So do your research.

Thank you for your quick reply MGrogan, very detailed!

I understand the competition that I will inevitably face by applying to these universities, but I would not want to settle for anything else. I also realise that I will need to manage my time efficiently. To be completely honest, my 'backup' would be LSE and I am fairly certain that I will be given the offer, due to the large amount of supercurriculars that I have done, e.g. 7 MOOCs, 2 International essay competition wins so far (1 from Cambridge, and some competition results still pending), many books, podcasts, etc.

I completely agree with your final two points as well, and cost was definitely a factor that I had to consider. However, my family income falls under the lowest band for those US universities, and so tuition and boarding will be free for me (if I am not mistaken). As for neighbourhoods, activities, and university life/culture, I will definitely have to research and look into them some more.

However regarding the order of preference of the universities, how should I rank them (supposing I somehow received an offer from each place)? I am currently thinking of MIT/Harvard at the top, and Cambridge below all the other American ones (excluding Yale, Penn), and LSE afterwards. This will help me to prioritise some universities, as currently I am a bit all over the place (I am also doing music conservatoire auditions!).

Just another question, SAT/ACT have been deemed 'optional' for my listed US universities, but should I take them anyway to see if I can get a high mark? I am a UK student and have not practiced these tests yet, though my maths is good and English grammar is ok. The universities claim that whether an SAT is submitted will not affect admission decisions, but I do doubt that.
Don't underestimate warwick as it's one of the best in the uk for economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending