How can you write an amazing personal statement for University ?

Watch
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have been looking to write my personal statement and I want to understand how to structure/things I should include in my statement.
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
TSR have some example personal statements, for the majority of subjects, that have been written by students in the past. They are good to get an idea on how to structure your personal statement (I’ll insert the link here of where to find them when I log onto my laptop).

A common structure is ABC - You state an Activity (a book you’ve read or a course you’ve done for example), you state what Benefit that activity had, and then link it all to the Course you are applying to.

Depending on what course and where you apply will vary how you structure your personal statement but the general idea is that it should be 80-85% academic and 15-20% extracurricular.

Hope this helps

EDIT: This is the link I mentioned: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nts-by-subject
Last edited by Becca216; 2 months ago
Phebos_Belmont
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
1. Start with your early experiences which piqued your interest in the subject which you have chosen. Expand upon these details. Don't start with quotes or other generic starting lines. How you begin your personal statement has a huge impact on it overall (You need to stand out) .
2. Follow up your intro with your profile, i.e extracurricular projects and activities that you participated in and what you learned from these.
3. Mention your achievements (whatever they may be).
4. Write about your ideas and unique approach towards your subject. Basically, you need to convey your passion for the subject with a lot of enthusiasm.
5. Wrap up by elaborating how your course will help your career plans.

Keep in mind all of these points and construct your personal statement. Keep it concise and to the point and you'll do great. All the best buddy!
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Becca216)
TSR have some example personal statements, for the majority of subjects, that have been written by students in the past. They are good to get an idea on how to structure your personal statement (I’ll insert the link here of where to find them when I log onto my laptop).

A common structure is ABC - You state an Activity (a book you’ve read or a course you’ve done for example), you state what Benefit that activity had, and then link it all to the Course you are applying to.

Depending on what course and where you apply will vary how you structure your personal statement but the general idea is that it should be 80-85% academic and 15-20% extracurricular.

Hope this helps

EDIT: This is the link I mentioned: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nts-by-subject
Thank you for taking the time to reply
KAPeter
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Split your personal statement into sections. Introductions, three (your choice) main body paragraphs and the conclusion. Take each section of the personal statement step by step, rather than trying to finish it all in one go. For each section, come up with questions that you would like to answer in that section, then answer them - this helps you to brainstorm.

After you've finished, try to make your personal statement more concise. After you're happy with it, ask teachers, current uni students, experts in the field, your parents or siblings to read and critique your work. be prepared to make many drafts, since that allows you to tweak your personal statement until it is perfect. Remember, make it personal to you!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
From my experience as a PS Reviewer, the structure is mostly the same for a PS (this is focused on academic courses, not vocational courses like medicine):

1. Intro - why do you want to do the course?
2. More detail about your interests - e.g. extra reading/watching online lectures/listening to podcasts etc. and talking about why they are interesting. This should be the main bulk of your PS
3. Extra curricular activities - non-course related things. Just a couple of sentences
4. Conclusion - summarise your reasons for wanting to do the course. You could also mention career plans if you wanted to and they are relevant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (5)
29.41%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (5)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (1)
5.88%
I'm not a current university student (6)
35.29%

Watched Threads