Ofqual redacts announcement of what a valid mock is for appeals

Watch
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ofqual has announced what a valid mock will be in terms of appealing to increase your grade.
You can read the details here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...-on-mock-exams

The key points are:
- Mocks must have been "Supervised, unseen and undertaken in conditions that were intended to secure that work was the student’s own."
- One paper or more (or one non exam assessment piece) of exam board content, or in the style of exam board content
- Taken under timed conditions
- Completed before 20th March (unless you are a private candidate)
- Marked according to an exam board mark scheme, or similar
- Reasonable grade boundaries used (i.e. similar to those for the actual exam, if it was a real exam paper)
- If your CAG was less than your mock, then you recieve your CAG upon a successful appeal, rather than your mock grade.

Does it sound like your mocks will meet this criteria? Will you be appealing on this basis?

Edit: Ofqual have now redacted this statement, pending further information to be announced: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...15-august-2020

cc: Evil Homer
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 1 month ago
Advertisement
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If only I had revised!
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
If only I had revised!
I think a lot of students will be feeling this!
Advertisement
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And how will Ofqual be able to prove that a mock was done under these conditions? Couldn't a teacher potentially lie?
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I still remember taking a mechanics mock that used a past paper I had happened to do the night before and getting 100% which I didn't deserve at all :lol: Wonder if anyone finds themselves in a fortunate position like that this year
Advertisement
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The date and timed conditions can probably be evidenced quite easily. How you prove reasonable grade boundaries I expect will be the subject of much debate.
justjas33
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In regard to the ‘one paper or more’ requirement - do you think it would be possible to give in one timed mock result and one or more homework essay(s) result?
Advertisement
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't think homework counts
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sataris)
I still remember taking a mechanics mock that used a past paper I had happened to do the night before and getting 100% which I didn't deserve at all :lol: Wonder if anyone finds themselves in a fortunate position like that this year
Surely the school needs to evidence that it was a secure mock only available to teachers ...
Advertisement
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another key point is:
Has to be less than or equal to your CAG.

It's also unclear how the first point can be verified.
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by royalty1702)
don't think homework counts
I’d usually agree! I only ask as the piece of homework I had in mind was set by my teacher to help him gauge our progress and figure out our predicted grades for this year, so it was a little more important than the average piece of homework
Advertisement
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Surely the school needs to evidence that it was a secure mock only available to teachers ...
You'd hope so, but I suspect that public outrage will lead to too much leeway.
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are there previously used "real exam papers" that are only available to teachers?
Advertisement
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Let's hope there aren't publicly available markschemes to last year's papers I suppose.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are there previously used "real exam papers" that are only available to teachers?
Edexcel produces secure mocks with mark schemes which are closed access.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- Marked according to an exam board mark scheme, or similar
- Reasonable grade boundaries used (i.e. similar to those for the actual exam, if it was a real exam paper)
lmfao. That's like a load of schools out. A lot of schools "marking strictly" or using arbitrary boundaries.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Let's hope there aren't publicly available markschemes to last year's papers I suppose.
Yes, I've asked TSR not to allow these threads - that's why the papers need to be secure mocks not 2019 papers.
Advertisement
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do think there are some - for my AS mocks in January teachers used “locked” exam papers that were only accessible to teachers - I only know as many students tried to get their hands on them 🤷🏾*♀️
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Edexcel produces secure mocks with mark schemes which are closed access.
They don't really seem to remain secure for too long - they get shared around on private channels.
A.Poet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep - the previous year's papers plus mark schemes are uploaded to the exam board's interchange for which a log-in is required and which is only accessible to teachers. Certainly, when I've set my formal mocks this year, I've used these papers and the mark schemes to these papers along with the grade boundaries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads