Parliamentary POSTnote on a Diesel vehicle ban and effect on air pollution

Watch
nek95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Briefing document / POSTnote on a Diesel vehicle ban and effect on air pollution

Does anyone have any advice on how I should structure this and what I could include?

Thank you
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nek95)
Briefing document / POSTnote on a Diesel vehicle ban and effect on air pollution

Does anyone have any advice on how I should structure this and what I could include?

Thank you
Hi, is this for a piece of work or assignment or course? I can then just move it to a more suitable forum where you should get some answers!
nek95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abzzz57)
Hi, is this for a piece of work or assignment or course? I can then just move it to a more suitable forum where you should get some answers!
Thanks
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nek95)

Thank you
If it were me:
i would take the approach of banning all diesel vehicles is NOT a sensible or reasonable path.

Diesel produces excess toxic emissions such as NOx and Particulate matter.
The problem with this is long term exposure in urban-dense areas.

For heady duty commercial transport: diesel is the best and only viable solution (and compares well with regardes to GHG emissions with other solutions).

What the government needs is to limit diesel to heavy duty transport, and future diesel trucks need to be hybridised with short range electric mode.
So these vehicles can benefit from diesel ICE on long term routes yet will still eliminate tail pipe emissions in urban-dense areas where NOx & PM is an issue.

Hope this helps!

(FYI if you need source, the IEA (international Energy Agency) has some great reports for this type of debate as does the IPCC).
nek95
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
If it were me:
i would take the approach of banning all diesel vehicles is NOT a sensible or reasonable path.

Diesel produces excess toxic emissions such as NOx and Particulate matter.
The problem with this is long term exposure in urban-dense areas.

For heady duty commercial transport: diesel is the best and only viable solution (and compares well with regardes to GHG emissions with other solutions).

What the government needs is to limit diesel to heavy duty transport, and future diesel trucks need to be hybridised with short range electric mode.
So these vehicles can benefit from diesel ICE on long term routes yet will still eliminate tail pipe emissions in urban-dense areas where NOx & PM is an issue.

Hope this helps!

(FYI if you need source, the IEA (international Energy Agency) has some great reports for this type of debate as does the IPCC).
Thank you. So, I should mention the pros and cons?

What sort of things could I mention with regards to “risks” and “ethical aspects”? Could I talk about risks and ethical aspects of a potential diesel vehicle ban for older vehicles?

I am thinking of titling the POSTnote “Clean Air Zones and air quality schemes to combat air pollution from diesel vehicles”, and then mentioning a potential diesel vehicle ban for older vehicles (2009 and below) in the five biggest city centres in the UK for the “Recommendations” section?
nek95
Rep:
?
(Original post by nek95)

What sort of things could I mention with regards to “risks” and “ethical aspects”? Could I talk about risks and ethical aspects of a potential diesel vehicle ban for older vehicles?

I am thinking of titling the POSTnote “Clean Air Zones and air quality schemes to combat air pollution from diesel vehicles”, and then mentioning a potential diesel vehicle ban for older vehicles (2009 and below) in the five biggest city centres in the UK for the “Recommendations” section?
I also need to make an “executive summary” - is this a summarised version of the POSTnote?

What would you recommend for an executive summary - bulletpoints?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nek95)

Clean air zones often have the risk of pollution doughnuts, i.e a ring of pollution around the zone. But it doesn't matter ULEZ (ultra-low emission zones, and zero emission zones are at this point inevitable, and do serve a useful purpose, its how to integrate vehicles into them in a viable manor).

-The main problem is commercial transport is needed to support local economies and also essential for supply chain
-heavy duty & commercial travel isnt viable via EV for many reasons including: costs, life-cycle, battery recycleability, lack of infrastructure, recharge requirements
-Their are a whole bunch of sub issues particularly about embedded CO2 in manufacturing these vehicles, where will we get green grid energy, the grid infrastructure couldnt support the current energy load. ....

I dont know what the assignment is, or what you have to do. Just some ideas to think about, take it or leave it.
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nek95)
I also need to make an “executive summary” - is this a summarised version of the POSTnote?

What would you recommend for an executive summary - bulletpoints?
Exec summary's are normally a couple paragraphs like an abstract followed by the key bullet points
nek95
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Exec summary's are normally a couple paragraphs like an abstract followed by the key bullet points
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads