The Student Room Group

Joining RAF at 38

Hi

I’m a 38 year old woman who’s trying to join RAF Supply trade in December. I am worried that my fitness test would not meet the standard requirements and BTRC. I can run 2 km at least 4-5 days per week but I am trying to increase gradually till I reach the minimum standard target. I can do sit up and am struggling in push up but trying to reach the target too.

My question is the possibility of passing RAF entrance and BRTC at my age.

I work full time in a office environment and accounting related role at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure what you want in a reply. Plenty of people join at all ages, once in the service you need to maintain that fitness for the duration you are in. There are plenty of men and women of all ages meeting this standard regularly.

You just need to keep training and improving, it will come with dedication.
Keep at it. I am older than yourself and I have managed to get though and about to start my training soon.

Have you looked at the following link yet:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/2231/20170117-pub772-fit_for_action.pdf

Use this to help with your fitness, as said by AlphaTango... just keep training. You could join a running club. There are always loads about. Sit up press-ups can be done at home. If you want to check form use a mirror or you mobile to record yourself.

Training is better if you can do it with others. Worst case join a gym!

It’s an investment in your future. I feel your pain as I am horrendous at running. But stick at it and you will get there. 👍
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for your courage. I feel a bit better now, and keep on running.

Original post by Username4000
Keep at it. I am older than yourself and I have managed to get though and about to start my training soon.

Have you looked at the following link yet:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/2231/20170117-pub772-fit_for_action.pdf

Use this to help with your fitness, as said by AlphaTango... just keep training. You could join a running club. There are always loads about. Sit up press-ups can be done at home. If you want to check form use a mirror or you mobile to record yourself.

Training is better if you can do it with others. Worst case join a gym!

It’s an investment in your future. I feel your pain as I am horrendous at running. But stick at it and you will get there. 👍
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaTango
I’m not sure what you want in a reply. Plenty of people join at all ages, once in the service you need to maintain that fitness for the duration you are in. There are plenty of men and women of all ages meeting this standard regularly.

You just need to keep training and improving, it will come with dedication.

Apologies if I made any confusion. I will keep on training. Thank you for your advice.
Original post by Kilouk
Apologies if I made any confusion. I will keep on training. Thank you for your advice.

Good on you for pursuing a different career. I can only echo what everyone else has said which is to keep at it and not let yourself be held back by expectations or assumptions. Give it your all and the fitness will come over time. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest