The Student Room Group

Birmingham vs York for Computer Science or Gap year to go UCL or Bristol

Hi, I didn’t meet condition so I did a clearing and got offers from University of Birmingham and University of York for Computer Science starting this year. I got A*AD in this year. D was in Physics. My prediction for Physics was A and my mock exam was A so I was shocked that I got that results. My firm choice was Bristol and insurance was Durham. (Both Computer Science) I also appealed my grade but I don’t think there will be a huge impact in my grade.

So I have to choose between go Birmingham or York this year and have a gap year and only do Physics to reapply next year. I have not thought about Birmingham or York so I know they are good universities but not really sure about it. Which one do you think better? If I do the exam, then I am sure that I can get higher than B at least. (90per cent sure A)

Also, for computer science, among UCL, Bristol, Birmingham, and York how these unis rank each other.( I searched the official ranking but it’s keep changing so I want to know the general England peoples’ thought cuz I am international and want to get a job in UK.)

Is it worth trying to do gap year? Or not. Also, if I apply for the University next year with the grade that I got this year except Physics, are there any disadvantages? Finally, can I apply for Oxford? I heard that they don’t like gap year students.
Reply 1
How important is it to you to go to uni this year? Is the choice of uni more important? Do you know what you would do on a gap year?
Reply 2
Hi, I don't know that much about computer science but I just want to say:
1) I think you can take a gap year if a) you feel quite sure you can do better in exams, b) you are in a financial position to do so and c) you think it will be worthwhile in the long run to do so. Also it might be worth thinking about what you want to do if you take a gap year, like would you work or gain experience etc
2) It's quite common for students to take a gap year to apply for Oxbridge, so you won't be disadvantaged.
3) if you apply with your current A*A and an improved physics grade I am sure you will not be disadvanted. A lot of people will be in a similar situation so hopefully universities will be understanding.
Reply 3
Original post by Sataris
How important is it to you to go to uni this year? Is the choice of uni more important? Do you know what you would do on a gap year?

Going to the uni this year will be better but next year is also fine for me. I heard that for computer science, how I am is much more important than which uni I graduated. But, what I think is that if I can go to the better uni, I want to. If I do the gap year, I think I will onna study physics a lot cuz exam board is different and after that study programming to make my skill better. What do you think about this whole thing?
Reply 4
Original post by loletta
Hi, I don't know that much about computer science but I just want to say:
1) I think you can take a gap year if a) you feel quite sure you can do better in exams, b) you are in a financial position to do so and c) you think it will be worthwhile in the long run to do so. Also it might be worth thinking about what you want to do if you take a gap year, like would you work or gain experience etc
2) It's quite common for students to take a gap year to apply for Oxbridge, so you won't be disadvantaged.
3) if you apply with your current A*A and an improved physics grade I am sure you will not be disadvanted. A lot of people will be in a similar situation so hopefully universities will be understanding.

First, thank you for the advice:smile:

1 a) yes b) yes c) I’m not sure really because going to the better uni will only increase the future career very slightly. And main reason is that I just want to go bristol or ucl which is the uni that I wanted to go since I started a level. If I go birmingham this year, than I will somtimes regret not getting a gap yeat, maybe. What do u think which way do I have to choose?

Thank you for b) and c)
Btw, I also heard that many applicants will do gap year due to this difficult situation so it would be much harder to go into the university next year. What do you think?

Also, bristol and birmingham came out clearing this year. Are they gonna do clearing for computer science next year also? Based on the past, do they go for clearing a lot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending