Anna augustine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Heyy, am currently in the process of picking my 5th higher for medicine. The 4 highers that I've already chosen are English, chemistry, biology and maths. I haven't done nat 5 physics, thought of crashing physics but don't want to risk it as i need all A's and i honestly don't know how i am at physics not having done it. I am thinking of maybe taking it in s6 and taking higher Italian as the sth higher for this year. Would this choice of subjects weaken my chances of getting into medicine?
Advertisement
slothonist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You've picked a strong set of highers for medicine and I'd suggest for your 5th higher to take whatever subject you feel most confident at getting an A.
For medicine you only really need Biology, Chemistry and Maths so you'll be fine. You could potentially crash physics in S6 but it might be better to focus on your advanced highers
Anna augustine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by slothonist)
You've picked a strong set of highers for medicine and I'd suggest for your 5th higher to take whatever subject you feel most confident at getting an A.
For medicine you only really need Biology, Chemistry and Maths so you'll be fine. You could potentially crash physics in S6 but it might be better to focus on your advanced highers
So, are you saying that physics isn't that necessary for medicine?
Advertisement
slothonist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna augustine)
So, are you saying that physics isn't that necessary for medicine?
Most Scottish universities require Chemistry and two out of the following three: Maths, Biology and Physics.
You have Maths and Biology so no, you won't need Physics
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna augustine)
Heyy, am currently in the process of picking my 5th higher for medicine. The 4 highers that I've already chosen are English, chemistry, biology and maths. I haven't done nat 5 physics, thought of crashing physics but don't want to risk it as i need all A's and i honestly don't know how i am at physics not having done it. I am thinking of maybe taking it in s6 and taking higher Italian as the sth higher for this year. Would this choice of subjects weaken my chances of getting into medicine?
Would recommend whichever you think you will get the best grade in :yep:
Advertisement
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Choose whatever subject you were best at Nat 5/ enjoyed the most. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I know someone who got into medicine with Advanced Chem, Bio and Music.
They don't expect you to have all 3 sciences as many schools (including mine!) don't actually let you do 3 sciences due to scheduling issues/lack of teachers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads