anonymousacso
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so i’m a year 11 entering college september 2020 and my options are biology chemistry and mathematics, i haven’t got my grades yet but my mock results were 999 triple science 9 maths 7 english literature 6 english language (1 mark off 7) 6 geography (1 mark off 7) and i didn’t sit my other 2 of french (did do the speaking and got a 6 in it) and film studies and my predictions in the same order of subjects are 999977765.

my problem is i plan on applying to dentistry (BDS) and as far as my knowledge goes you need atleast 3 As at a level to get in to most universities i wish to go to, now my mathematics skills have been prominent since i was very young but it’s more natural based rather than studying and i’ve never revised for maths because honestly my school’s department for maths was pretty bad beyond the highest set the highest grades were no higher than 6s at a push and even in set 1 some people went down to 4, people weren’t taught how to revise and we weren’t even allowed to know the specification or topics for some reason, fair enough i could of looked for it myself but my natural skill was enough to get me consistent 7s through year 10 and then suddenly in what i think is a fluke i got a 9 in my most recent mock. I’m now going to a generally considered good college with what seems to be a much superior maths department and was wondering if i will be able to easily get the a i need considering i’m essentially a grade 7 maths student without revision does anyone think a level maths is any easier to revise or adapt to then from primary to secondary and will someone who is mostly moderately naturally okay at maths cope with getting the a i want, just looking for some help in advice, i typically find the most effective form of revision for me was just writing out a cgp book word for word and paying attention to the details and facts rather than just reading or doing other things like flash cards so if possible it’s a bit of a stab in the dark could someone give me a percentage estimate of how likely i am to get the a i need, with my options i’ve really stuck myself to the dental trail of a career no other options with these subjects appeal to me that much so its all or nothing here
kakaoei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi~ I also didn’t know how to revise for maths at GCSE but I got a 9 last year because our teacher made us do lots of practice papers, like one for hwk every week throughout the year and I think that’s the most effective form of revision for maths. I’m taking A-level maths now and in Yr12 you do learn some new concepts but a lot of it you will have learnt at GCSE. With maths it’s all about doing practice, as with that you learn how to approach each question because they’re normally very similar or asked in the same style, you just need to know which steps to take to solve it. In the past 2 years the grade boundaries for an A in maths (Edexcel) was only around 55-60% so it’s not too bad, especially if you’re naturally good at maths. Just practise lots of exam questions after each topic and you should be fine
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m going to have to give you a harsh no unfortunately you need to work HARD at A level to get an A. Consistent 7s on natural ability is absolutely not enough. It’s helpful as it means you have a natural ability for maths, and if you study, you could very well get an A or even an A* but that’s only if you study. No matter how clever you are, A levels are not GCSEs; you can’t do well without studying. As for your revision technique, the CGP book may have worked at GCSE, but at A level, there is simply too much content for you to do that. It will be a waste of time. You need to be doing consistent practice for maths, including harder questions. It won’t be easy like you want it to be but I’m sure you can do it!

What are your other two subjects?
te.lope
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A-level maths is not easy and that's the fact of it. I was similar to you in that with little effort I got As in maths for year 10 and year 11 and even in my GCSEs I got an A without revising but I literally dropped maths in level because I was shocked at how much more challenging it is. Its a shock to everyone, its something that I cant honestly believe the level of difficulty can go up that much. You need to practice like your life depends on it and do literally every past paper multiple times to get the grade you need want. If maths is natural to you it will certainly be easier but to say its easy to revise or adapt to it is a lie.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anonymousacso)
so i’m a year 11 entering college september 2020 and my options are biology chemistry and mathematics, i haven’t got my grades yet but my mock results were 999 triple science 9 maths 7 english literature 6 english language (1 mark off 7) 6 geography (1 mark off 7) and i didn’t sit my other 2 of french (did do the speaking and got a 6 in it) and film studies and my predictions in the same order of subjects are 999977765.

my problem is i plan on applying to dentistry (BDS) and as far as my knowledge goes you need atleast 3 As at a level to get in to most universities i wish to go to, now my mathematics skills have been prominent since i was very young but it’s more natural based rather than studying and i’ve never revised for maths because honestly my school’s department for maths was pretty bad beyond the highest set the highest grades were no higher than 6s at a push and even in set 1 some people went down to 4, people weren’t taught how to revise and we weren’t even allowed to know the specification or topics for some reason, fair enough i could of looked for it myself but my natural skill was enough to get me consistent 7s through year 10 and then suddenly in what i think is a fluke i got a 9 in my most recent mock. I’m now going to a generally considered good college with what seems to be a much superior maths department and was wondering if i will be able to easily get the a i need considering i’m essentially a grade 7 maths student without revision does anyone think a level maths is any easier to revise or adapt to then from primary to secondary and will someone who is mostly moderately naturally okay at maths cope with getting the a i want, just looking for some help in advice, i typically find the most effective form of revision for me was just writing out a cgp book word for word and paying attention to the details and facts rather than just reading or doing other things like flash cards so if possible it’s a bit of a stab in the dark could someone give me a percentage estimate of how likely i am to get the a i need, with my options i’ve really stuck myself to the dental trail of a career no other options with these subjects appeal to me that much so its all or nothing here
Work through these revision GCSE resources and you will be better prepared for A level:
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE

Revision should be doing examples for Maths - nothing else really works!

This website is useful: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.76%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.82%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
23.53%

Watched Threads