i7 7900f, fan or water cooler?

Watch
inconanon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So im buying a prebuilt pc from amazon from the cyberpower company. It has an i7 9700f and rtx 2060 super and 16gb ram for £1165. This price is with a water cooler. I was just wondering if it is worth keeping the water cooler or better to switch to a fan cooler for £1104?
I could also switch to a rtx 2070 super for about an extra £100 either way, but not really if its worth it.

I mainly want it to game but also hope to stream and edit while also using it for my uni work.
Any answers appreciated thanks.
danqw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey, I would recommend the liquid cooling simply because of the normal benefits. Liquid cooling is just way more efficient in terms of cooling down your GPU and CPU and its basically better in the summer too. In the long run, it basically pays for itself too

Do some research into the pros of cons of both of them e.g liquid doesn't need maintenance really whereas air does but at the same time air is a bit more reliable in terms of how long it lasts. It really depends on the actual units of the coolers.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inconanon)
So im buying a prebuilt pc from amazon from the cyberpower company. It has an i7 9700f and rtx 2060 super and 16gb ram for £1165. This price is with a water cooler. I was just wondering if it is worth keeping the water cooler or better to switch to a fan cooler for £1104?
I could also switch to a rtx 2070 super for about an extra £100 either way, but not really if its worth it.

I mainly want it to game but also hope to stream and edit while also using it for my uni work.
Any answers appreciated thanks.
What's the air cooler? The 9700f is a locked processor and doesn't particularly need water cooling, but if it's just a basic Intel stock cooler they use if you opt not to get it then I'd take it for the acoustic performance alone.

It's also worth noting that it's not a great time to buy a £1000+ PC with the new Nvidia card unveiling only a few weeks away. It's easy to tell people to wait for new stuff in the tech world because there's always something new just around the corner, but the new generation of cards are expected to be an very significant jump in performance, and will at very least drive down the price of current options.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it's just an AIO liquid CPU cooler, then it doesn't really matter. I've never had a liquid cooler but suspect it's slightly more annoying to maintain if at all, whereas with an air cooler you just have to worry about clearing dust every blue moon. I've heard liquid is a bit louder, but don't know myself.

If it's anything more complicated then screw that.

But depends on the cooler too, some are better than others.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (74)
21.45%
No (271)
78.55%

Watched Threads